Cows Getting Thin????????????

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Bovine Leukosis – An Increasing Problem In Kansas

More Kansas beef producers are reporting problems with Bovine Leukosis in their cow herds. Bovine Leukosis is not a new cattle disease, but is caused by the Bovine Leukosis Virus (BLV), a virus that has been around since the 18th century. Dairy producers have contended with the problem for years; however, major problems with the disease in beef herds have seemed to be on the increase in recent years. The most frequent complaint is that individual cows suddenly start going downhill and die. The loss rate in some Kansas herds has reportedly approached 5% per year. The disease-causing virus infects white blood cells (lymphocytes) and is transmitted by any mechanism that allows the transfer of blood from one animal to another. This includes biting flies, ticks, needles, tattoo pliers, ear tagging equipment, castration and dehorning equipment, etc. In a small number of instances, the virus is also transmitted from the cow to the fetus in utero or in colostrum. Infected cows may exist as carriers in the herd for several years before becoming sick. Most of the time the first sign observed is a cow that starts losing body condition when compared to other similar-aged animals in the herd. This may occur gradually or rapidly. In some cases, swollen lymph nodes will occur that are externally visible as tumors. There is no treatment for the disease, and the cow will eventually die. Cows detected early may possibly be salvaged; however, if there are any lesions observed at slaughter the animal will be condemned and not be allowed to enter the human food chain.

The best management strategy to control the effects of the disease depends upon the level of disease incidence in the herd. Blood tests of suspicious animals should lead to herd-wide testing if suspected animals are found to be positive. If the incidence in the herd is low, culling all positive individuals will quickly rid the carriers from the herd. If the incidence is high, sorting the herd into 2 herds (BLV negative and positive herds) and maintaining them as separate herds will allow the producer to stay in business while working their way through the diseased animals in the positive herd.

To help prevent transmission of the disease, especially when trying to maintain a negative herd in proximity to a positive herd, several different management procedures should be implemented. Disinfect needles between animals (except those used to administer modified live or live vaccines, in which case disposable needles should be utilized and changed between every animal). Disinfect all tattoo pliers, ear tagging equipment, and surgical equipment between animals.

Follow recommended management procedures for fly and tick control. If you

lose a cow to Bovine Leukosis Virus, do not keep her calf for a replacement animal without first testing the calf for the disease at weaning time. Test all retained replacements before adding them to the herd. If you buy replacements, buy only animals that come from Bovine Leukosis Virus tested-negative herds or herds that have tested free of Bovine Leukosis Virus.

If you have cows (or bulls) that start going downhill unexpectedly, have your veterinarian test suspect animals. If Bovine Leukosis Virus is in the herd, producers can test to find and remove infected animals, utilize management procedures to reduce transmission of the disease, and ultimately free the herd of the disease.

Source: Larry Hollis, D.V.M., M.Ag, extension veterinarian

That all sounds really good but no mention is made of cost. We had a young, registered bull suddenly test low on the fertility check and acted lethargic so we had the vet run a test to see what we were dealing with. It was BLV but the test cost $104.00.

There's the problem with some diseases getting so prevalent. So it cost $104.00 to have it tested, but if you were able to salvage it were you not better off than just letting it die and then paying the cost of disposing of it, or as some do by dragging it out on the back 40, and then having the disease spread by vultures or entering the ground. I've seen people who won't spend $10 00 on a shot for a cow, who in it's present condition is worth O, but by giving it a $10.00 shot and curing the problem and thereby having an animal that's worth hundreds of dollars, who think their saving money by not giving the shot, and then losing the cow. Go figure. Some people don't want the cost of a vet or the cost of a shot to save an animal worth hundreds of dollars. Seems that would be a no-brainer. I'll shut up now and listen to why I'm wrong in my thinking, or non-thinking.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was not discouraging testing at all, just giving a heads up as to the cost. From there on, it's up to the individual to make his/her own decision on how to proceed. It is obvious you feel strongly about testing so I would think you would test your whole herd. Others might feel otherwise and not test. Their decision, not ours.

Green Creek":1t82brbr said:
I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was not discouraging testing at all, just giving a heads up as to the cost. From there on, it's up to the individual to make his/her own decision on how to proceed. It is obvious you feel strongly about testing so I would think you would test your whole herd. Others might feel otherwise and not test. Their decision, not ours.
Guess I did misinterpret and for that I apologize. Was venting a little as yesterday I was over to my neighbors dairy and he was dragging a dead cow out of his barn. Asked what she died from, said he did'nt know. Was'nt having her posted as he drug her out behind the barn in the middle of the lot with the rest of his herd. There laid 4 more in various stages of decay. Now I know a good dairy cow is worth pretty good money, so you'd think he would want to know why their heading for the big pasture in the sky. And there they lay not knowing what they died from, or if it's entering the eco-system. Stuff like that gets me pi....., lets say miffed. Once again, Sorry.

You are right, that's just irresponsible management, not to mention animal neglect. It doesn't take much effort or money to have one posted.