Cows and dieting

Help Support CattleToday:

Uma Uddla

Reaction score
So, a little question - my cows are too fat and I need to strip their weight before next season or we'll be stuck for another year. What kind of program should I put them on? I know Jenny Craig's out of the question :lol:

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Whats the deal with these cows? are the bred? are they nursing? Milk cows? What?

I tried to cut them back on their feed but this lead to mass unrest. The friesians were on the verge of a revolution while the angus were kind of following the herefords in protest.

We have many breeds of the farm. My father used to collect them before he died.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Uma Uddla":1ss5m1a1 said:
I tried to cut them back on their feed but this lead to mass unrest. The friesians were on the verge of a revolution while the angus were kind of following the herefords in protest.

We have many breeds of the farm. My father used to collect them before he died.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas
Nah ~ as long as you don't arm them, it should be OK to cut back on the feed. A lot.
If you don't see that as an option, theres really nothing more to offer I think.
Good Luck!

ps ~ Those Herefords? They are all bark :nod:
Mine get in a snit now and again.

Uma Uddla":3lr2kw1x said:

Tough noogies! That's the only way to do it. There is a shot of something you can give them that hypers their metabolism, but you won;t be able to catch them they get so nuts.

You could send them to spring training down in Florida, or maybe to a spa for a few weeks, or maybe you could sign them up to appear on the Biggest Loser, I'm sure they would be a hit!

Hmm, media coverage, needles and long range trips are definitely out but thank you all for the suggestions!

Perhaps I need to address this problem from a different angle and appeal to their good natures directly. Cows are reasonable, although probably not so utilitarian and willing to accept responsibility for the whole herd when it comes down to food supply, but still - I can try.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

put some corn in the back of your truck and let them chase you around the pasture for a while each day. Have to laugh as my cattle will follow that old truck anywhere and all day if I'm working on fences or something.

Cattle are a lot like me....or maybe I'm a lot like them....regardless if there's food I'll eat it. If not my stomach may growl for awhile but I usually go find something to do and forget about it. It will work for them as well. Cut out the feed and give them a big old bale of wheat straw to munch on. It's pretty worthless and they'll probably burn more calories eating and ruminating than they'll get from the straw.

I have the same problem with bred cows post weaning.

I started putting out cheaper hay. Still fat.

Next season I'm going to start letting the feeders run completely empty for a day. Not looking forward to the complaining though. I guess with today's hay prices, it's a good problem to have.

Latest posts