"Cowboy Steak"

Help Support CattleToday:

Florida cattle

Reaction score
There are so many ways to cook meat; grilled, smoked, broiled, fried etc.
I love grilled steak, however I love fried steak too "Cowboy Steak" is what my mom called it growing up.

My Wife gave me a funny look the first time I mentioned frying a steak, however after I fixed her one she liked it.

1" thk steak (I prefere ribeye)
salt & pepper
Flour
and Pan Fry (cast iron only)

Does any one else ever eat thier steak this way?

When we were kids on the ranch my aunts used to have the steaks cut about 1/2" think and then flour them and fry them in a skillet . They were always well done and always juicy, and tender.

Nothing better than a porterhouse steak cooked that way.

we pan seer thin ribbeyes or serloins.an they are real yummy.since they are thin it doesnt take long to cook them.

upfrombottom":f6aad2np said:
I have, ofcourse, I can remember when people still cooked in the house and crapped in the yard.

There was an old man from Wichita Falls in the 60's who told me, "Yep I got an outhouse. Even animals have better since than to do it in their own nests." I'll never forget it.

We cook our steaks like that when we dont feel like going out in the cold to grill. We use olive oil in pan (cast iron), heated, then steaks with salt and pepper about 3.5 min per side and let rest.

If I cook steak inside, when I take it out of the skillet, I saute mushrooms and spinach in the pan, add a little beef base and cream. Add potato or rice and we have a fabulous dinner pretty quick.

farmwriter":1fggb2ug said:
If I cook steak inside, when I take it out of the skillet, I saute mushrooms and spinach in the pan, add a little beef base and cream. Add potato or rice and we have a fabulous dinner pretty quick.

That sounds delicious, hubby only likes a steak grilled. My mom does a steak (usually chuck) she pounds it and then coats it in flour (with salt/pepper) and bakes it in the oven and makes a gravy with it. I have never tried it but she says it is always juicy and tender.

My grandma made the best pan fried steak ever, she would keep moving it all over the pan ,never cut into it and it turned out the most delicious steak ever, she also made the best buns and bread in the world too. I wish I had inherited her talent. :(

Florida cattle":2e3hun3u said:
I love grilled steak, however I love fried steak too "Cowboy Steak" is what my mom called it growing up.

My Wife gave me a funny look the first time I mentioned frying a steak, however after I fixed her one she liked it.

salt & pepper
Flour

Sounds like Chicken Fried steak except you're using a better cut of meat.

TexasBred":11f745ju said:
Florida cattle":11f745ju said:

salt & pepper
Flour

Sounds like Chicken Fried steak except you're using a better cut of meat.

You know, in my neck of the woods, people always call it Country-fried Steak and like you say, TB, we make it with cubed steak.

Good cube steak country fried or browned in the skillet and then cooked in the oven with milk gravy from the remains in the skillet is hard to beat. Had some of the oven style Sunday and leftovers yesterday at work. I cut it with a plastic fork but it wasn't store bought beef either.

We grill our steaks on a down draft grill inside when we don't fire up outside. We have had a indoor grill for 22 years and love it for the convenience. The wife does a good job at it.

Latest posts