Cowboy Action

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
I joined a SASS/Cowboy Action this year.Just chewing on the thought of trying the Mounted Posse.That would sure cost lot more $$$$.What would be the best horse for riding and shooting.An old paint,an ap,quarter horse,stallion,mare or gelding?I am sure there are some gun shy horses.So it would take a lot of work and time to get the right horse for the job.
The last horse I was on just about killed me,a quarter horse gelding.He fell backwards right across both my legs.If the saddle horn would have hit my chest I wouldn't be here.I was plain lucky,couldn't move for 15 minutes and sore for a few days.Wonder how a mule would be for cowboy action.

i dont think the breed matters as much as the individual horse. i know quarter horses, paints, and thoroughbreds that have done very well, and others who blow up. they also have little ears plugs you can put on your horse and those seem to really help some horses

Brahma Bull":2djs0sge said:
What would be the best horse for riding and shooting.An old paint,an ap,quarter horse,stallion,mare or gelding?

At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, which is not my intent, I would say the best horse would be one who could handle the noise of a fire-arm being discharged without freaking out. I would also suggest discharging a fire-arm in close proximity to your choices, and seeing how they deal with it, then going from there. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that breed really doesn't have a whole to do with handling certain things - that is more an individual thing, as well as a training thing. Just my thoughts.

Sounds like good advice.That would sure be :( ,pay alot of $$$ for a horse to use in Cowboy Action.Then he freaks out first time you try to ride and shoot.Wonder if the Cowboys and Indians ever had any horse problems.Didn't have much time to worry about that,while saving your hide.

Brahma Bull":3rqtt684 said:
Sounds like good advice.That would sure be :( ,pay alot of $$$ for a horse to use in Cowboy Action.Then he freaks out first time you try to ride and shoot.Wonder if the Cowboys and Indians ever had any horse problems.Didn't have much time to worry about that,while saving your hide.

keep in mind their horses were around shooting al the time it was normal for them.

Latest posts