First time cowboy and cow horse.

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I finally got around to introducing my gelding, "Boots" to herding cattle tonight. I first jumped on him cold, which I usually do and rode him up a slight hill about a quarter mile to our house, then back down. Then into the pasture to move the herd to a new pasture about a quarter mile away. No problems with him although he did not act very "cowy", no pinned ears or eagerness to get after cattle. He just moved beind them and followed my commands to keep them moving and together. We did go through trees and bush rubbing on his belly and limbs on my back and his, which was new for him, I was very impressed and happy with him. Best of all no spooks and we are in one piece.

He's no cow horse but I'm very happy and had a blast, we may move cattle before they need it again.

Just thought I would share.

Alan

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you and 'Boots' had a good time and all went well - can't ask for more than that! ;-) :D Alan, forgive me here, but I am curious as to why you decided to name your horse 'Boots'?

msscamp":kea1urju said:
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you and 'Boots' had a good time and all went well - can't ask for more than that! ;-) :D Alan, forgive me here, but I am curious as to why you decided to name your horse 'Boots'?

Because of his hind feet, he has boots on. Some pics I posted a while back, if you scroll down there is 3 pics total.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=boots

Alan

Alan,

I remember the picture of Boots. If I'm not mistaken he's a chestnut. It's good to get all of the kinks out practicing; it's too late when you have cows out and your really need him.

How old us he?

cypressfarms":20cnhl7a said:
Alan,

I remember the picture of Boots. If I'm not mistaken he's a chestnut. It's good to get all of the kinks out practicing; it's too late when you have cows out and your really need him.

How old us he?

I believe he was 2 in the pics, he's 4 now.

Alan

when a horse pins his ears dont mean he's eager. it mean hes agitated. i seen horses run cattle with their ears pinned and trying to bite the cow on the ass, and fellars would be all he's gonna make a great cow horse . but all it was he was having to work and taking he's agression out on the cow. i like a horses head down and ears foward and looking at cattle that tell me he's ready to do business

ALACOWMAN":3vyqoj1b said:
when a horse pins his ears dont mean he's eager. it mean hes agitated. i seen horses run cattle with their ears pinned and trying to bite the cow on the ass, and fellars would be all he's gonna make a great cow horse . but all it was he was having to work and taking he's agression out on the cow. i like a horses head down and ears foward and looking at cattle that tell me he's ready to do business

I agree. I've never had a 'cowy' horse pin their ears back, they've always watched the cows and got a little excited when around them - not hyper - just more alert and waiting for the sign from me that they could do their thing.

Alan":1ipmle0g said:
Well, this shows you what I know about cow horses.

Alan

:lol: :lol: Don't sweat it, the important thing is that you're willing to learn and venture into new territority! I'll bet you didn't know much about horses, either, until you started messing with them and learning! ;-)

Good looking colt. How's he bred? A good using horse will act like the laziest critter in the world until it's time to wake up. When they do you need to have a leg on each side and your mind in the middle. They seem to be born with the instinct that they need to conserve their energy until they need it. As Martha would say...And that's a good thing. :roll: :lol: Z

msscamp":30zjwqpj said:
ALACOWMAN":30zjwqpj said:

I agree. I've never had a 'cowy' horse pin their ears back, they've always watched the cows and got a little excited when around them - not hyper - just more alert and waiting for the sign from me that they could do their thing.

I've found it depends on the horse whether their ears are forward or back while working cows. If their ears are back while working a cow it doesn't mean they are agitated, I think it is an indication they are really into what they are doing. I have two full brothers, one pins his ears, the other horse his ears are forward, while working cows up close.
They both will bite if being used in a crowded alleyway and the cows start bumping into them.

rross":vulb4f7u said:
msscamp":vulb4f7u said:
ALACOWMAN":vulb4f7u said:

I've found it depends on the horse whether their ears are forward or back while working cows. If their ears are back while working a cow it doesn't mean they are agitated, I think it is an indication they are really into what they are doing. I have two full brothers, one pins his ears, the other horse his ears are forward, while working cows up close.
They both will bite if being used in a crowded alleyway and the cows start bumping into them.

I didn't say 'working cows', I said around them. Ears being back is not necessarily the same thing as ears being pinned, either. Sure one or both ears are back when actually working cows, because they are watching you for directions. They don't stay that way, though.

msscamp":vjy73xvc said:
rross":vjy73xvc said:
msscamp":vjy73xvc said:
ALACOWMAN":vjy73xvc said:

I didn't say 'working cows', I said around them. Ears being back is not necessarily the same thing as ears being pinned, either. Sure one or both ears are back when actually working cows, because they are watching you for directions. They don't stay that way, though.

If the horse is busy watching you and not paying attention to the cow, more than likely he stands a good chance of getting beat.

rross":3q5tpkuf said:
msscamp":3q5tpkuf said:
rross":3q5tpkuf said:
msscamp":3q5tpkuf said:
ALACOWMAN":3q5tpkuf said:

If the horse is busy watching you and not paying attention to the cow, more than likely he stands a good chance of getting beat.

Hence one ear back and one ear forward. ;-)

ill still stand behind what i said. horse are indivduals just like people thay dont react the same too the same situations no matter if their kin or not. when a horses ears are pinned back it a sign their aggrevated dont like what hes doing are whats being done too him . has nothing too with being a cowey horse and not a sign of a bad horse either. but when a horse is alert and paying attention his ears are perked foward. he!! world champions pin their ears back from time to time its just a tell tell sign but not a indicator of the horse's potentail