cow wont grow????

Help Support CattleToday:

aaranch

Reaction score
ok last year i bought a cow calf pair at the auction the mother was very skinny and wasnt producing milk and her calf is a hiefer the calf is one year old now and hasnt grown my newborn hiefer is already bigger then her does anyone no why is that all my other cows grow great its just her . Anyone one no a solution to make her grow :???:

aaranch":36dnxorw said:
ok last year i bought a cow calf pair at the auction the mother was very skinny and wasnt producing milk and her calf is a hiefer the calf is one year old now and hasnt grown my newborn hiefer is already bigger then her does anyone no why is that all my other cows grow great its just her . Anyone one no a solution to make her grow :???:

Ok...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until you prove otherwise... ;-)

Where are you located?
What breed of cow/calf pair did you buy?
Why did you buy a skinny cow that wasn't producing milk with a calf at side?
Your "newborn" heifer is larger than your "one year old calf"? Strange...very questionable...

Wheels, the runt and anything related to her need to grow a set!

If Mum was producing no milk, then I presume you have been feeding her, and she has been wormed and vaccinated.

It is milk that turns a tiny calf into a huge bull. Remember that the next time you are on a diet.

i bought the cow calf pair in belen new mexico they are red angus i didnt no she wasnt producing milk to i bought her i bought the pair thinking the mom was a feeder cow. when i brought the cal home she was already eating hay on her own. she just hasnt grown in a year maybe 2inches tops

if its milk that turns a calf big am i supposed to put the 1 year cow back on milk. and yes shes been dewormed and vaccinated i bought the pair for 325 so i thought ill take a chance

Could be that the older calf was so starved as a youngster that she will never grow to her potential, or she could be just a dink

nothing to do now but sale them all and move on and hope for better luck.just remember that sometimes when u get a deal too good to be true there is a reason for it.but if u only paid $325 for the pair and shes had another calf now u should still do ok on the deal but get rid of em now.

Suzie Q":2op4iauf said:
If Mum was producing no milk, then I presume you have been feeding her, and she has been wormed and vaccinated.

It is milk that turns a tiny calf into a huge bull. Remember that the next time you are on a diet.

Do the opposite also apply in the case of humans?

piedmontese":33cvgiha said:
nothing to do now but sale them all and move on and hope for better luck.just remember that sometimes when u get a deal too good to be true there is a reason for it.but if u only paid $325 for the pair and shes had another calf now u should still do ok on the deal but get rid of em now.

Why not just sell the runt and let the cow raise this calf first before selling the pair (if she needs selling at all)?

I'm with Knersie, sell the runt but if the new calf is developing normally, why sell the pair? Sounds like a starvation issue, not genetics. Maybe you could AI the runt to a mini-breed of bull and advertise her to that market.

It is a bit late for milk now at over a year old. As MO_cows said it is a starvation issue that has gone on for a year, so it will not be rectified over night. As above said it is best to sell her as you can put a lot of feed into her or you can buy one that is not starved and not put as much feed into it.

KNERSIE":69tziv35 said:
piedmontese":69tziv35 said:

Why not just sell the runt and let the cow raise this calf first before selling the pair (if she needs selling at all)?
i would sale the cow too because if she raised one runt what makes u think she will do any better this time? who knows the runt may have started off good but the cow dried up too early and thats y he is a runt.

piedmontese":2o75vewn said:
KNERSIE":2o75vewn said:
piedmontese":2o75vewn said:

i would sale the cow too because if she raised one runt what makes u think she will do any better this time? who knows the runt may have started off good but the cow dried up too early and thats y he is a runt.

or maybe buy a jersey cow with a blown udder (and a longer head ;-) ) to graft the calf onto? :roll:

why in the world would u ever suggest that they buy a cow with a blown udder? are u trying to be funny or just a smartazz?

I thought it was funny.... :lol:

geez Pied, lighten up! He made the comment from the remarks on another post.

Not everyone on here is looking for an argument, unbend yourself a little! ;-)

i'm not looking for an argument.i just dont like it when someone does not agree with anothers post and feels the need to ridicule or poke fun at them.i know sometimes some of the people on here are not very well informed about cattle and people will try there darndest to make them look dumb and thats not right.all cattlemen of all exp levels should feel comfortable about posting here.

Latest posts