Cow won't get up

Help Support CattleToday:

Hate to hear it but, if it's any solace, it's part of the drill. If you're going to run cows you're going to loose one now and then. Loosing a cow just made you a little less amateur.

Craig-TX

Sorry to hear it Andrew. No loss is "easy" but the first one can be the hardest/most memorable. The best we can do is try to learn from it.

I'm an amateur newbie rookie also. Dont get discouraged. I know you put a lot of time and effort into saving her. You did the best you could. Like fellersbarnoneranch said, "The best thing is to learn from it". I'm dreading the day I lose my 1st cow or calf.

Andrew
I am sorry to here of your loss. I have been following the conversation for a while. I am also new to running my own farm and have a problem of my own right now(lose Yearling). The advice you have gotten will help in the long run, I am using the advice and am moving to end my issue. I am not new to the cattle business, but have been out of it for the past twenty years(Military). My grandmother raised some of the best beef in WV before she passed away in 1998 and I don't believe she used a Vet very much for her cattle, however, the Vet was around quite a bit for her sheep and she may have gotten advice then for the cattle. Anyway, the best teacher is experience and some of the bitterest advice you have gotten on this forum has come from experienced people. Take it with a grain of salt and drive on to the best of your ability. Maybe the both of us will be able to count ourselves among the experienced in time. Good Luck!!

I've always been told "you can't save them all, you can't lose them all" it's somthing that comes with the business. just learn from it, and move on...

Andrew, sorry for the loss. Like has been said, it comes with the territory. I remember the first loss of a calf, we tried everything, followed doctor's orders, and it still died. Stuff happens. We learn and get on with it.

Katherine

I'm started a Cattle Management home study course from the University of Minnesota and hopefully will learn enough to be better prepared.

Thanks a lot for all the support.

Andrew

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cow. If you raise em your gonna lose em. I started to post a trick I have used in the past to get a downed cow up. I was hesident due to her being ready to calve. What I have done in the past is to slip a section of conveyor belt under them and lift the front end with a boom. Slowly and carefully get her into the barn and hang her for a short period of time. By hanging I mean pick her up where she still has some weight on her legs. The height and pressure can be changed as she starts coming around. The vet should be consulted for any meds or methods. If you watch cow closely you will usually notice them having problems getting up or laying down more than usual. If possable get them to the barn at this time. To reduce chance of injury in moving her. Sometimes this ain't the case and you find them down a long way from the barn. Then the only recourse is the conveyor belt thing. Most of them don't recover fully, some die anyway. But I fell like I have at least done something to try and prevent it. BTW this is a last resort. slapping face, twisting tail, or other methods to make her get up on her own are better. I once "hung" a cow on and off for two weeks and gave lots of meds. She calved 6 months later. I never knew what her problem was but after weining her calf she went to the salebarn. This may or maynot be the best approach to the problem but it works for me. I sure others have their methods also and you will just have to decide what will work for you. Look at it this way you may have lost a cow and calf but you gained a load of experience.

Latest posts