cow with runny nose

Help Support CattleToday:

suscofa

Reaction score
I have a cow with a 400# healthy calf. The cow is skinny now and has recently developed a runny nose. Should I call the vet for antibiotics or will it run its course and be alright? What other signs of trouble should I look for?

The fact that she is skinny tells me that something is seriously wrong. What is this cow eating, and is she eating? How heavy is her milk production? How is her breathing - labored or normal? Is she eating? Are her ears droopy? Is she aware of her surroundings? Does she isolate from the herd? Are her eyes bright and alert, or are they dull? Is she coughing? Is she limping? More information is needed to even hazard a guess.

She is eating and her calf is healthy but she is a bit of a loner. The grass available is good and she gets a small amount of grain once per week as a treat along with an occasional watermelon. I think her previous owner fed her large portions of grain. I am concerned about her runny nose though. Thanks for the input.

Temperature is?
Does she have a "bottle jaw" meaning skin below the jaw hanging or drooping?
Check the ears... droopy ears instead of alert ears means investigate.

When was she last wormed?
How old is the calf?

Please share with us as much information as possible... a picture would be good to help in the diagnosis.

I had a cow with the same problem although mine wasn't skinny. She acted fine but kept on getting a runny nose. I asked my vet and he said it was just allergies from all the tall grass so I just left her alone. She still kickin out in the pasture like a normal healthy cow.

ears alert, head not down, calf born in april, still eats. Had her wormed today. Will try to post picture next day or two.

msscamp":3al5q7jx said:
The fact that she is skinny tells me that something is seriously wrong. What is this cow eating, and is she eating? How heavy is her milk production? How is her breathing - labored or normal? Is she eating? Are her ears droopy? Is she aware of her surroundings? Does she isolate from the herd? Are her eyes bright and alert, or are they dull? Is she coughing? Is she limping? More information is needed to even hazard a guess.
Reading this scared me, because it is describing a cow I was watching today. She has a big healthy calf, but all of a sudden she is laying in the hot sun, without calf, seems a little skinny, and seems to be limping, esp on back legs. Hubby took some feed out, and she looked at him weird, instead of coming right to him, like the cows all do. He can herd them anywhere with nothing but words. but this cow is isolated, and acting strangely. shes a hereford/angus mix, and only about 4 years old. She also seems to have salot of clear drainage from the nose....any ideas here? thanks!

If our definition of "skinny" is the same (I define it as I can see all ribs and some vertebrate), send the calf to the stockyard. She is sucking that cow down and you don't want to keep a heifer out of such a cow anyway. You might want to send the cow too, rather than going through the hassle of starting an antibiotic series then if that fails having to sit through a withdrawal time. I have gone the whole isolation/treatment route and lost too many times. Too me, you might want to just cut your losses and get a check for the pair.

Kentucky has a bad run of blue tounge going on right now in the deer herd. Some say it can effect the cattle herd and some not.

poorboy":35s2aldm said:
Kentucky has a bad run of blue tounge going on right now in the deer herd. Some say it can effect the cattle herd and some not.

Blue tongue can & WILL effect cattle. We bought 15 4+ bred cows from a local cattle buyer. After about 4 days we had a cow abort & retain the placenta. Did not know she had aborted for about 3 days since she had done it up in the woods. By then the cow was HOT & droopy. Had the vet coming out to cut a stud for us anyway so we ran the cow into the squeeze chute & doctored her up. The vet drew blood "just to be safe". Five days later vet's office called & told us we had a case of blue tongue disease. Until that point I had never heard of it in cattle, just goats & deer so I got online & boned up on the whole thing. Needless to say the cattle buyer absolutely denied that she could possibly have blue tongue (even though we had the lab paperwork to prove it), also refused to take back the cow of course, so she went to the sale barn as a "slaughter only" cow as soon as she was well and the antibiotic withdrawal period was up. My grand Dad used to always tell me that bought lessons are the ones that stick with you the best . . . . guess he was right again.

Corky

Brandonm2":1y24ed7c said:
If our definition of "skinny" is the same (I define it as I can see all ribs and some vertebrate), send the calf to the stockyard. She is sucking that cow down and you don't want to keep a heifer out of such a cow anyway. You might want to send the cow too, rather than going through the hassle of starting an antibiotic series then if that fails having to sit through a withdrawal time. I have gone the whole isolation/treatment route and lost too many times. Too me, you might want to just cut your losses and get a check for the pair.
Yes, skinny to me...in a cow, is seeing the ribs ( rib outlines)( she isnt emaciated), and even a few vertebra.....

article in the paper the other day about a deer born disease similar to blue tongue. Can't remember the name. Most cows will survive but older one often don't. Cows can abort. Two people I know have lost 3 or 4 cows each recently. My cow is no worse and no better.

xxhotcoffee":3mgcukuf said:
msscamp":3mgcukuf said:
Reading this scared me, because it is describing a cow I was watching today. She has a big healthy calf, but all of a sudden she is laying in the hot sun, without calf, seems a little skinny, and seems to be limping, esp on back legs. Hubby took some feed out, and she looked at him weird, instead of coming right to him, like the cows all do. He can herd them anywhere with nothing but words. but this cow is isolated, and acting strangely. shes a hereford/angus mix, and only about 4 years old. She also seems to have salot of clear drainage from the nose....any ideas here? thanks!

It could be something as simple as grass not being adequate to keep her in condition because she is a heavy milker - although, in light of the nasal drainage - I seriously doubt that. I'm thinking it's something a little more serious. I would suggest you talk to your vet.

no more runny nose but still skinny. vet thinks it was a coincidence that the cow lost weight and had a runny nose. Said need to supplement do to marginal grass/fescue etc. Calf is healthy. thanks for the help

Latest posts