cow with dry heaves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i aquired this calf about 6 months ago and noticed it was on the slow and pokey side...but always came to feed with the others and foraged well...

now after 6 months it has not put on the weight like all the others and i noticed it coughing a lot. i just wormed it 2 weeks ago and now im noticing it having dry heaves a lot

it now walks very slow... and will stop....tongue stickin out and haveing several dry heaves before moving along...

i can tell it wants to run with the other calves when i call them for feeding time but it just doesnt seem to have the energy....

any ideas what is wrong here and what remedy there might be to make this a healthy cow :roll:

lz

Definately a respiratory problem. Sounds almost like pnuemonia.
Have you tried treating with Nuflor?
It's been very effective when I've used it on calves affected with pnuemonia.

Take care.

My rough guess would be lesions in the lungs from a respritory infection when it was a calf, or a heart defect. If it's either of those, not much hope for him to improve. Listening to the heart/lungs with a stehescope if you know what you're listening to will tell you if it's either.

dun

lordzarkon":13q51trm said:
i aquired this calf about 6 months ago and noticed it was on the slow and pokey side...but always came to feed with the others and foraged well...

now after 6 months it has not put on the weight like all the others and i noticed it coughing a lot. i just wormed it 2 weeks ago and now im noticing it having dry heaves a lot

it now walks very slow... and will stop....tongue stickin out and haveing several dry heaves before moving along...

i can tell it wants to run with the other calves when i call them for feeding time but it just doesnt seem to have the energy....

any ideas what is wrong here and what remedy there might be to make this a healthy cow :roll:

lz

I had a Holstein calf that was that way a few years ago. From the day we brought him home he coughed a little. We treated right away with Nuflor and other meds but he had the damage already. He never did gain much weight and could not keep up with the others. We tried feeding him seperate also so he would get his share. Anyway he made it until he was about a year old and the lung damage got the best of him.

Latest posts