Cow with discharge?

Help Support CattleToday:

williew

Reaction score
I have a heifer that calved last sat. still has discharge i had to pull the calf, seemed to clean alright, no smell all semms to be alright , what do yall think>

williew":2xqcr5d1 said:
How long is it suppose to last? It has already been over a week.

I have seen it take as long as three weeks with no ill effects, the first time she cycles she will likely also have a bit of blood stains in the mucous

williew":29e9xrxc said:
I have a heifer that calved last sat. still has discharge i had to pull the calf, seemed to clean alright, no smell all semms to be alright , what do yall think>

I think this animal is a heifer, this is her first time at calving, and all bets are off as to how long it will take for her to clean. As long as there is no smell, she is eating, drinking, is bright-eyed/alert/responding to her environment/taking care of her calf, and appears to be healthy - I wouldn't worry about it.

Well now the calf died ,wondering wheter to sell cow keep her try again next year or tri orphan calve any suggestion heifer weights aounrd 1400 at 25 months not a lot of milk, reg charl. Prices have really fell here?

williew":26yhhxei said:
Well now the calf died ,wondering wheter to sell cow keep her try again next year or tri orphan calve any suggestion heifer weights aounrd 1400 at 25 months not a lot of milk, reg charl. Prices have really fell here?

if she hasn't got a lot of milk, was a hard calver even though she is very well grown out for her age, I reckon you're better of without her.

KNERSIE":292g5not said:
williew":292g5not said:

if she hasn't got a lot of milk, was a hard calver even though she is very well grown out for her age, I reckon you're better of without her.

I'll go along with Knersie. Also with the shortage of grass in some areas, if you're in one of them, all the more reason to ship her.

Thanks guy for ops. prices have really fallen here ,cattle are down , if i sell now ill take a licking on her.I should be in fine shape on winter. where most here are already selling out. SALES USALLY RUNNING 650 HEAD ARE UP TO 1400 HEAD ALREADY PRICES KEEP FALLING.And still no rain!

williew":2xjmi52h said:
Thanks guy for ops. prices have really fallen here ,cattle are down , if i sell now ill take a licking on her.I should be in fine shape on winter. where most here are already selling out. SALES USALLY RUNNING 650 HEAD ARE UP TO 1400 HEAD ALREADY PRICES KEEP FALLING.And still no rain!
Do you think she is/will be a good cow? If so I would try to put another calf on her if she has the milk. If you have the grass to support her. With prices falling like that if you can put a calf on her and wait it might work out better for you.

Ask yourself why the calf had to be pulled. Was it fault of cow? Really big calf, or what?

As to discharge, like Msscamp and others said, probably no big deal. Keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't start to get sick. If she does, then that is a new ballgame and she will need atention.

williew":8mnz7vl1 said:

Why did the calf die?

The calf weight about 110 lbs.,the bull he was out of came from texas all the calves pout of him had to pulled or born doa , a friend raised this heife rafter all the trouble he had with his calves i watched her close the has never been right i doc. on it since the min it hit the ground anti. quick strart, b12 norfl.,and pen.. he lasted longer then i thought he would she has excellent bloodlines mother and grand mother, sisters,and aunt still down the road on farm. I gave too much for her :shock: I thank you for all help. I work 55+hrs a week so all the help we can get.

williew":1cjkbc8w said:
The calf weight about 110 lbs.,the bull he was out of came from texas all the calves pout of him had to pulled or born doa , a friend raised this heife rafter all the trouble he had with his calves i watched her close the has never been right i doc. on it since the min it hit the ground anti. quick strart, b12 norfl.,and pen.. he lasted longer then i thought he would she has excellent bloodlines mother and grand mother, sisters,and aunt still down the road on farm. I gave too much for her :shock: I thank you for all help. I work 55+hrs a week so all the help we can get.

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, it sounds to me like it was not the heifers fault. I would keep her. Just out of curiosity - were you aware of this bulls track record?

NO. after i bought her the first calves started coming and he had bad story after story , i think its the bull fault, just wanted a little advice.

Latest posts