cow with diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

whippoorwill

Reaction score
I have a cow that had a hurt foot about a month ago. wasn't staying with with the herd,just hung out in shade by creek. so every day i'd give sweet feed to her because she wasn't grazeing much. now foot is well but has severe diarrhea. has had it since I was feeding her not sure if feed caused it or not haven't fed any in 2 weeks she is staying with herd now but has lost a ton of weight. she has a 5 month old calf that i'll wean now. what meds will stop the diarrhea.thanks for any help,Barry.

How much sweet feed were you giving her? Did you wean her off or just stop feeding it when her foot improved?

Take a temp. If she has a fever, suspect salmonella. If not, and she is over 3 years old, suspect Johnes.

whippoorwill":vq5x26wl said:
she's 6 yr old. probably fed 10 to 15 lbs a day. just quit after bout a week when foot got better. thanks
That's a lot of sweet feed if she's just been on pasture.

whippoorwill":14uwi3ul said:
she's 6 yr old. probably fed 10 to 15 lbs a day. just quit after bout a week when foot got better. thanks

You're probably looking at a case of acidosis - symptoms are diarrhea and rapid weight loss. I'm sure you know that it is necessary to build an animal up to a large amount of feed in order for the proper bacteria to grow but, what is not so commonly known, is that an animal also has to be weaned off a large amount of feed. Otherwise the bacteria dies rapidly and can easily them into acidosis. It's been a long time since we had an animal with acidosis caused by these circumstances, but treatment was penicillin(every other day if memory serves) and large amounts of probios on a daily basis. You probably want to talk to your vet in case treatment has changed.

jerry27150":2o4qccpz said:
if she hasn't had grain in two weeks, she should have straightened by now, sounds like johnes to me also
Or maybe just real good (springish) grass.

Or maybe just real good (springish) grass.
I agree with Dun. Could be the changes in the feed, parasites, stress from the pain, or just new grass coming on. I wouldn't be so quick to say "Johnes." Maybe a fecal or some blood work into your vet would be in order.

I have given cattle human Imodium for diarrhea at shows. (No change in feed, just stress induced.) Works very well. I just squirt it in the side of their mouth with a syringe.

ain't saying it is johnes, but all it takes is some stress like a sore foot & a young calf to make johns come on from it's silent form to full blown & no matter what you do they go like pea soup. easy to scoop up a sample & have your vet test it. also she is about the right age

gave her penicillin and probiotics. by next day she started to look like she felt better. she's drying up. im hopeing I just caused it with too much feed. thanks for all replies. Barry

Latest posts