Cow with a scar question

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
Back in October, I purchased a 4 year old pregnant Red Angus X cow. She was 4 months pregnant back then and is coming along real nice as far as her size. Once I got her home and had her in the headgate, I noticed she had what seems to me to look like a 8" to 10" X 1" Scar right down the middle of her under belly. It located right where my other cows have there navel flap. She doesn't have a noticable navel flap that I an tell, but it's right in the same location.

Just wondering if this a sign of something that could have gone wrong with a previous owner like C section or something.

I'm no expert, but I thought c-sections were done from the left side, vice along the midline of the belly. Here's a link to a c-section page, but I can't tell where the outer incision was made on the cow, (may want to wait until you've finished your breakfast, if you are sensitive to viewing innards):

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/Health ... anSection/

Maybe laymen cut them on the side while standing and vets sedate and cut midline.

If not a surgical scar, maybe she acted up in a chute? Or got her front legs over something and cut herself trying to bring the back legs over?

More than likely iot was a c section. Some vets used to roll the cow on her back and make the incision down the middle of her underline.

Thanks for the quick reply. My next question is being that she is probably having her 3rd calf this year, if she had a C section in the past does that mean she'll most likly need another to have her next calf or not always the case.

Here is a side picture of her. I don't have one of the scar.

11-26-2006_035.jpg

that is a question I had too - does a cow that has a c-section have to always have a c-section?
thanks
melanie

My son had a show heifer that had to have one with her first calf in 1999 (calf was upside down). She has not had to have any assistance since then.

txfishing":1bb5yi4z said:
Back in October, I purchased a 4 year old pregnant Red Angus X cow. She was 4 months pregnant back then and is coming along real nice as far as her size. Once I got her home and had her in the headgate, I noticed she had what seems to me to look like a 8" to 10" X 1" Scar right down the middle of her under belly. It located right where my other cows have there navel flap. She doesn't have a noticable navel flap that I an tell, but it's right in the same location.

Just wondering if this a sign of something that could have gone wrong with a previous owner like C section or something.

I'll say I don't think it is a c section, everything I have every heard is a c section is taken from the side. Also if the scare is only 8 to 10 inches long, I would guess that is too small of an incision to be a c section.

Alan

it could be a C-section scare.but not really sure.if it is.that means she had a big calf in her.or the calf was messed up an couldnt go though the bith canel.id just keep a real close eye on her when she is ready to calve.if a cow has mre than 1 C-section she needs tobe culled.because she is to narrow in hipps an birth canel.

All of the C-Sections I have heard of are done from the side. Actually... most cattle surgeries are. They try to avoid the midline due to the fact that when they stand up, all the weight would be bearing down on the incision, and gives a very high risk of the incision opening.

Likely an injury... unless maybe she had a DA? And they flipped her and did a ventral incision... but RIGHT on the midline sounds odd, as that would be right through the linea alba, and it doesn't tend to heal all that quickly...

TCFC

frenchie":1yecz75g said:
likely a scar from a horn.

I am with frenchie on this one - but then again I raise horned cattle and we all know they are incredibly dangerous.

Or that cow got hung up in some brush and sticked herself - a common enough happening.

Modern C-sections are usually completed on the left side as someone already stated - and the cow is usually standing.

She's a bit on the thin side - hope she picks up a bit of weight.

Otherwise a decent enough commercial animal.

Be advised I have a couple of cattle on the place - both over 12 years of age that required a C-section for the first calf - both tried the "come backwards and twist the calf into an unknown position" just before calving out.

Trouble free calving since and breed back every year.

Regards

Bez>

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to get a good picture of the scar this coming weekend. The picture above was taken about a week after I brought her home. She's put on quit of bit of weight since then.

Latest posts