cow weaning big calf

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
I have one cow who seems to be weaning her calf(about 5-6 months old) herself. She leaves the calf for relatively long periods, and I find the cow in hiding from the rest of the herd in unusual places all by herself. She is a beautiful, healthy, brangus and not sick or anything. I have noticed this for a week or more. Anyone have any info on this? I will take her calf(heifer) soon anyway for weaning along with several others Just interested in anyone's thoughts.

The majority of our cows spend very little time with their calves now. Born March and early April and about the only times they get together is when either the cow insists because her bag is full or the calf wants a meal. That only happens 2-3 times a day. As to the cow being by herself, some are loaners, maybe she thinks she's just found a cooler spot to wile away the hours till it's eating/feeding time again.
If she doesn;t act or look sick, just leave her be.

dun

Brahman cows will actually wean their calves if left with them long enough. You'll see them kick the calf off when they try to nurse.

I doubt that your cow is doing that with a calf that age. Like Dun suggested, probably just doesn't keep the calf as close where he's older.

Latest posts