Cow stepped on newborn calf. Hoof cap missing?????

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcattleco

Reaction score
We had a cow suprise us and calve outside. We brought her in due to rains coming. She was not a show heifer, so a little tough to work with. Anywho, in the barn she is a tube gate away form the show calves for this year and does not like it. She will charge at them and us for that matter. She stepped on the 2 hour old calf at her side and ripped off the right rear inside hoof cap. We have been treating with LA200, coppertox and Iodine. What my question is, will this grow back? Any sugestions on healing? Wrap it watertight with a support system, or leave it open. She is stuck in the barn till it is healed, but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and what the outcome was?

Had a cow do that last year but stepped right above the hoof and It had trouble up until I sold it at 700 pounds. The hoof grew funny and it limped and walked on the other side of the foot. Maybe yours since it hit a little lower will come out of it.

Same thing happened to one of my calves a couple of years ago when it was a few hours old. I doused it with wound spray and wrapped it with vetrap and let him go and he recovered fine.

Had a calf like that last year,the hoof cap came off and the new one grew back.I just cleaned it out I didn't even wrap it,just tried to keep them on clean ground.when it grew back it was alittle crooked,and when she got around 550lbs she walked a little funny so got rid of her.

dvcattleco":qrkibyyd said:
She is stuck in the barn till it is healed, but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and what the outcome was?

I would get her out of the barn. The quickest way I know of to have a calf go from healthy to sick is to keep them in a barn.

Cows have been calving outside way before any of us decided to try to put them in a barn. Leave them alone next time and you probably won't have types of problems. As for the calf, it will grow back, but will be sore and tender until it does.

I seem to remember having one with the same problem years ago. It should grow out fairly quickly since the calf is so young, but keep an eye out for infection. If the barn she's in is kept clean, I'd leave it open to "breath". If it's hard to keep clean then I'd wrap it in Vetwrap.

Latest posts