Cow size vs. efficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":3m5okowo said:
Cows that consistently conceive on their 1st service are the real money makers and that needs to be emphasized. Selecting females based on reproductive performance will/should give you the most efficient cow herd.

2X

We have a few guys here that leave the bulls in and do not preg check. At some point in the season - - they load up all the cows that have not calved yet and they go to the sales barn. With low cull and low hay prices this seems to make cents.

For 30 some odd years we did 100% AI. Anything tht idn;t settle by the second breeding grew wheels. Our calving season rarely ran over about 55 days. The past 7 years or so we have been AIing some and using a bull for clean up after the first service and some we just turn in with the bull t breed. Our calving season has been stretching out longer and longer to around 75-80 days. We preg chec and if one is fairly close to the right calving window we keep her. This past year we had 2 heifers, all from different dams but sired by the same bull that didn;t settle in 90 days. Wheels sprouted under them but we're still working at shortening our calving season again. What is really bizarre is the vet called 17 of 20 all bred within 14 days. Those included the ones we AIed and turned in for clean up and the ones that we just ran with the bull.

Stocker Steve":26g5pl45 said:
dun":26g5pl45 said:
Our calving season has been stretching out longer and longer to around 75-80 days.

Are the same cows consistently late or later?
Not always. Some move up a month or 2. But some have slipped to fall calving

I am a bit new, a few years doing this, and I don't raise a lot of cattle, maybe twenty per year, but...I just have an affinity for large framed cattle. I use the biggest females I can get that are still put together properly for the breed. So far not one pulled calf from a big heifer. My angus steers that I have done the best with were the large framed ones. THAT said. I sell my cattle for custom cut beef, private treaty priced, , and we feed them all the way out ourselves birth to the slaughterhouse. I get the larger framed cattle to my target weight faster, and the yields seem to beat the smaller framed cattle I have killed in the past. I know it is expensive to feed, so the thing I select for more than anything is high early weights. I have an opinion , right or wrong, it gets me where I need to be with LESS feed because of the difference in "time on feed". I pull them individually for slaughter which allows me more latitude to cull one that is doing a poor job of getting where I want him. I usually eat those at my house. I don't run close enough books to tell down to the ounce what the ounce cost me to produce. I sell more in concepts like " big, highly marbled, and dripping ribeyes!!!" I do know this. Telling a client they are gonna have moderate sized steaks, and less HB is harder for me to sell than "giant steaks and a tub full of HB". I like big angus cattle!! All operations are different, big works for me, actually prefer extremes. I sell to end user though, not a guy with a grid and an idea how to pay me less. I get a premium for my big or near giant cattle-- novelty sells as do two and half pound porterhouses!!! Makes me hungry thinking about it!!! Good luck, and have fun! !! I get that watching my big old calves become giant steers!!!

HDRider":3t1vk7ot said:
Stocker Steve":3t1vk7ot said:
Mossy Dell":3t1vk7ot said:
We definitely feel a higher $EN number is positive, especially in our tough New Mexico environment. It is very uncommon to see $EN in most Angus sale catalogs even though cow maintenance requirements are extremely important to a commercial operator's bottom line.

Mother Nature favors larger mammals in the land of the Artic Vortex. :nod:
I was trying to find it, but I could not. Have you seen the video of the cattle gone feral on the Aleutian Isles? Herefords I think. Amazing to think that nature and survival of the strongest and all. I'd love to have some of that seed stock.

I have seen that recent video of them gathering with helicopters. There are several islands up there with cattle on them running wild. I know some people who have worked around them. From their stories I would want nothing to do with those cattle.

Dave":2fsjmx8j said:
There are several islands up there with cattle on them running wild. I know some people who have worked around them. From their stories I would want nothing to do with those cattle.

Hard to herd horned Char crosses who have been trained by brown bears.

Khuckabee":2mfrc4l5 said:
Telling a client they are gonna have moderate sized steaks, and less HB is harder for me to sell than "giant steaks and a tub full of HB". I like big angus cattle!! All operations are different, big works for me, actually prefer extremes.
i also sell to the end user some but i actually have the opposite result. I can sell the smaller steers a lot easier than I can the big ones. Most people I sell to dont have the freezer space, money, or enough mouths to buy the larger steers. Although I wont sell less than a half which probably makes a difference. I usually end up selling my larger steers live once I ask everybody what they want.

I run into a myriad of problems selling beef to people, which is a bit looney that they keep buying store bought junk instead of all natural farm raised beef we sell. Putting out more money at one time to buy a side could be their biggest obstacle. I reluctantly sell quarters, but really sell half of a half so they get varied cuts from both quarters of the cow. I have only sold two quarters, ever . I will even take payments in advance while we are feeding the beef out to help both parties. If people would make the sacrifice to get a bigger freezer, they would save money, I think, in the long run at least, but it is difficult to tell them to do that and expect them to do it, lol. I've thought of buying a batch of miniatures to fill that other need that is there, I am sure. Maybe more so in the future with the medical community telling us less red meat is better? Actually I just like cows, any cows. I seem to do better with my larger ones. But that could be for a lot of reasons like me liking big cows so I am more comfortable pushing larger sized beef.

Khuckabee":ufa9zah9 said:
I run into a myriad of problems selling beef to people...
Putting out more money at one time to buy a side could be their biggest obstacle.
If people would make the sacrifice to get a bigger freezer, they would save money...
Yes they would save money and Best Buy sells 7.0 cu ft chest freezers for under $200
I've had the same Gibson 7.0 cu ft chest freezer for over 20 yrs and have never had any problems with it.
Maybe you should become a freezer salesman.
New customer special... Buy a side of beef or more and get a new chest freezer free!
And just increase the hanging weight price for new customers 50 cents a pound to cover the cost of the new freezer.
A 1/2 with a hanging weight of 400 lbs x 50 cents = $200

Even if they already have a freezer, they could now have a dedicated meat freezer for extra storage.
In his garage a friend has what he calls their "Wisconsin" refrigerator... because they only use it for Beer and Cheese.

Latest posts