Cow size as it relates to finished steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Let me throw in a few thoughts and observations before this topic dies.

One problem with efficiency is the buyers want uniformity. To be efficient, you want a smaller more feminine cow, bred to a larger, high growth bull. Essentially two different types that leads to variation in the offspring. If your marketing allows less uniformity, you could be more efficient. Would have two different breeding operations - one to produce cows, and the other to produce bulls.

Having said this, efficiency is not all about size. It is also about type. Muscle is more metabolically active and requires more energy to maintain. So more muscular cows eat more.

Cows also vary in appetite and metabolism. With just a few cows that I know well, I see big differences. One is a pig, the other, I struggle to get her to eat. I've noticed that cows that look like my piggy are often praised as "easy keepers", when in fact they just eat a lot more. We don't think the same about big people.

Fascinating that little interest has been shown in studying cow efficiency and feed intake. Kind of like a trucking company not caring how much fuel they burn.

As I've posted before, here they are researching efficiency - pounds of calf produced per pound of feed intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6hSQMz8hyo

djinwa":e0ms5gui said:
Let me throw in a few thoughts and observations before this topic dies.

One problem with efficiency is the buyers want uniformity. To be efficient, you want a smaller more feminine cow, bred to a larger, high growth bull. Essentially two different types that leads to variation in the offspring.
Having said this, efficiency is not all about size. It is also about type. Muscle is more metabolically active
Cows also vary in appetite and metabolism.

Great post.
I have the type variation going. Marketing calves usually means selling the big uns early, retaining part of the middle cut, and back grounding the rest.
Big muscled types do eat more and bloat easier, but they look like slick easy keepers to some. Culling decisions get a little complicated without efficiency data.

Fascinating that little interest has been shown in studying cow efficiency and feed intake. Kind of like a trucking company not caring how much fuel they burn.
Apparently you do not read much about trucking or cattle research.

One problem with efficiency is the buyers want uniformity. To be efficient, you want a smaller more feminine cow, bred to a larger, high growth bull. Essentially two different types that leads to variation in the offspring. If your marketing allows less uniformity, you could be more efficient. Would have two different breeding operations - one to produce cows, and the other to produce bulls.
Economics are critical at the farm level. Most folks posting here will not have two herds. Most will buy "improved bulls" from breeders and test stations. Those bulls that are sent to test stations by repeat consignees will have more growth potential than their average calf because they know that the final culling will take out any so-so calves from an expensive feed trial. So, going in, the bulls are going to add some growth potential to the average herd. To make the bulls more marketable, the sire will be AI and well known. And then the sale comes and which one is best: the most extreme in something - usually growth, weight, sire notability or some other terminal trait.

No wonder the average cow in the USA is too big because generations of "better genetics" shift the herds that direction. It has been the campaign plank of every university and extension program. When the inevitable becomes obvious a "corrector bull" bull is needed. We all know basic genetics: SmallSmallXBigBig = SB, SS, BB and BS. The heifers and steers run the range from "Hey, I like that one" to "Wonder if anybody will bid on that one". Yin and yang go yin-yang.

If anyone wants efficiency and economy combined: learn what size cow fits your environment, learn what size (WW) calf lets the % bred cows fit your plan, find out what FS the buyers really want and stick with the program. It is a lot easier and simpler.

Ebenezer":11m8mzrz said:
Apparently you do not read much about trucking or cattle research.
:nod: :nod:

One thing not discussed yet. Let's say a cow in my herd ways 1400. However a year in my neighbors herd and she is only 1250. Management is a bigger factor than genetics period. Consider how replacements are raised and two years are grown out and you can have a 250 lb difference in mature weight I won't disregard genetics but the environment a animal is raised and developed in as well as the body condition score the manager wants to maintain is the biggest factor

Latest posts