Cow repeatedly cycling.

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Got an older cow that appears to be repeatedly coming into heat but not really standing. I'm gonna hit her with some gnrh this week in case she's cystic. Any other potential causes?

That sounds like a good plan. Some Lute actually straightened one of mine out.

The other possibility is a low grade infection. I have also flushed (uterine) with antibiotic.

Minerals? Deficiencies can reduce the signs of heat, as well as conceptions rates... I'd look at copper, Phosphorus, selenium first. Perhaps she's the weakest or a heavier producer, and thus showing the symptoms first.

Is the bull out with her? If so, do you know that he's fertile?
Have you preg-checked her to see if she's bred or not? I've had bred cows stand - have had two heifers in the past couple of years that we AIed on a
'return to estrus', that calved to their first AI service. GnRH shouldn't hurt, if she is, but if you follow with a dose of Lute/Estrumate, you could terminate the pregnancy.
Lepto hardjo-bovis infection can cause repeated early embryonic death and return to estrus. Same for Trich.

Bull is out doing ai cleanup now. She came in heat natural in October then seemed to skip a cycle so I luted her then ai'd her when she stood again the end of November. The bull was trying to mount her 21 days later so I figured I just missed her with the ai. several days later all the bull calves in the field are trying to mount her. a week later the big bull is trying to mount her again. preg checking will be end of this week. it looks like i only had a couple miss ai and the cleanup bull seems to have caught them but too soon to say for sure. i do plan to preg check the cow that's cycling too just to see but also plan to give her the gnrh while she's in there. I don't plan to lute again till i get the blood results back. i don't suspect nutrition since everyone else seems settled. perhaps the ol girl is just outta whack and is ready to be done. usually they quit cycling altogether when that happens though.

Latest posts