Cow question

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
I have a brahma cow that got a swelling about the size of a golf ball about 6 inches strait down from her butt. It has gone down but now she has a puffy looking strip that goes all the way down between her legs. Is this anything to worry about? I checked her for any bite or sting marks and found none.
Thanks for everyones help.
Stewart

AlACOWMAN, Yes it is below her vagina it looks like mabe fluid has drained under her skin from her vagina strait down the middle to between her legs. It is a strip about half inch wide soft and puffy. She is open at this time had calf in May.
Thanks very much for your reply.
STEWART

Why is she still open are do you know that for sure? is she running with a bull sounds like a infection if she calved in may she should have rebred by now, and was this her first calf?so many questions so little time. :cboy:

ALACOWMAN, She is about 7 years old and has had three calves since i have had her. She has always bred back pretty quick. The reason i say she is open is because the bull was riding her yesterday and also today. If she don't get bred this time around i guess i'll take and get her checked out but i was thinking that if it was a infection or something my bull would have spread it to the others but i don't know.Thanks alot four help and concern.
Stewart

If the cow isn't acting sick or "off", I wouldn't worry about it. Brahman's have a tendency to get bit or stuck in one spot, and have the drainage run under the skin to another. (A gravity issue) It will probably go away in time.

I would be more concerned with her breeding late then the bump and swelling. I would take a 'wait and see' strategy with this one. If you are really concerned call your local large animal vet and get his or her opinion.

What got me concerned was a guy at the feed store told me he had a cow a long time ago with the same swelling and it was a infection from wild deer or goats and it stopped his from breeding back. But you can't belive him most of the time. I just thought i would ask everyone here just to be sure. I don't have goats but a deer does get in the fence from time to time. Thanks everyone for your help.
Stewart

Latest posts