Cow Preference: Pasture vs Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
We have grass on the ground (2"-4") average. The cows (all pregnant) graze but we feed them good hay and limited grain. They like the hay a lot more than to feed on the grass.

I understand the grass isn't tasty now relative to the hay so the cows want the hay.

Under what circumstances would you "push" the cows to the grass by withholding hay / grain?

You must have really good hay. Our cows would prefer anything green over hay. If they are not eating the grass could be a reason, such as maturity or type of grass. I guess it depends how much hay you have whether you want to make them eat the grass. saving some of the grass for next year is good too.

My cows are like kids, they always what what they dont have. When I put out the first round bale in the fall, they run for it and gourge themselves. Once spring hits and I open the first paddock, they run for it and gourge themselves.

After the ground freezes rock hard, I will remove the hay and put them on the stockpiled grass for a few weeks. Again they run for that as if they have never seen grass before. Once that is down to 3" it is back to bales as if they have never seen bales before.

As long as they are eating, and keep body condition, who cares.

As long as they're in good flesh, let 'em eat grass. It's easier on you. I see that you're in Oregon. What type of grass do you have? If it's fescue, they can go a long ways on it in the winter with no hay as long as the fescue is managed properly.

I would keep them eating grass as long as they keep their condition. I worked up by North Plains, OR one year and know how swappy it will get pretty soon, but if you have grass still, save your hay.

You could give them some grass hay for now to extend your grass, but cut the grain from the diet if they are conditioned enough.

Latest posts