Cow not passing afterbirth.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a lot but there are a lot of newbees recently that might get something from a discussion.
Cow had twins Saturday (again I hate twins) and as of this afternoon has not completely cleaned. The string of afterbirth was still hanging down and draging the ground about a foot. I know what I did and will continue to do, so what would you have done? She is eating fine and the calf I left on her is doing great.

Some will naturally disagree but I have always got it out of them as quickly as possible. I would have done it long before today. And then infuse the cow with uterine bolus' to sanitize and help remove any small pieces that might have remained behind....

After a couple of days we put her in the head gate and try to pull it out. If it doesn't come out put some iodine on her and turn her loose. If its still there in a couple of days we do it all over again. On one heifer it took eight days before the afterbirth finally would pull loose.

I just tie it up so that it doesn;t drag the ground or the bushes/brush and let nature take it's course. But we havne;t had a retained AB in 30 years or so, that's what I do for the neighbors

We practice benign neglect. We keep an eye on the cow, and as long as she looks healthy otherwise we do nothing about it, just leave it hang there. If the cow starts to look off, we will bring her in and give her a shot of antibiotics. If you are getting many of them, check your mineral, they may be lacking something. Vit ADE is also suggested if you have problems. We typically don't have more that 2 out 130 head in a year.

a shot of Lut works wonders also
I usually go in and take it out and then use a couple of boluses and add a shot of lut also seems they breed back better than if ya just leave it
I haven't had many the last few yrs only had 1 this yr and it was from twins also
and I think 1 the yr before on a full breech that I pulled

dun":3r1frj2b said:
I just tie it up so that it doesn;t drag the ground or the bushes/brush and let nature take it's course. But we havne;t had a retained AB in 30 years or so, that's what I do for the neighbors

Dun that is what I was going to do. The cow is a pet so I knew she would just stand there and let me do it. When I got it in my hand she turned slightly to see what I was doing. It fell out on the ground with just the slightest pressure. I will still watch her for a few days to be sure she is ok. When I was younger I would have gotten her up the first day and stayed awake nights wondering if she would be ok, but no more.

AC, she will never breed back. She is old and I was just keeping her to get a baby out and then sent them to market. Her to slaughter and the calf to someone wanting a $200 baby. But now she has two $200 babys and she will still go in about a month.

Angus Cowman":11j48em9 said:
kenny thomas":11j48em9 said:
AC, she will never breed back. She is old and I was just keeping her to get a baby out and then sent them to market. Her to slaughter and the calf to someone wanting a $200 baby. But now she has two $200 babys and she will still go in about a month.

Dang Traders ;-) ;-)

Tried to get you in on that horned bull trade today but you waited too long. :lol2:

Talking about cleanings, and newbies. I had something really wierd happen once. Not really related to this thread, but good info to know about.

I was gone for part of a day. Came home and found a cow acting goofy, and cleanings on ground. No calf. Looked and looked, still no calf. Got her in and she had cleaned, but calf was still inside! My 84 year old dad, and life long rancher had never seen such a thing. Pulled the calf and everything was a ok.

Amo":1m4zavkn said:
Talking about cleanings, and newbies. I had something really wierd happen once. Not really related to this thread, but good info to know about.

I was gone for part of a day. Came home and found a cow acting goofy, and cleanings on ground. No calf. Looked and looked, still no calf. Got her in and she had cleaned, but calf was still inside! My 84 year old dad, and life long rancher had never seen such a thing. Pulled the calf and everything was a ok.

The only problem with that story is a calf can't survive inside without a placenta. The fetus gets oxygen and nutrients through the placenta from the cow. Maybe you saw one from another cow?

Had my first retained placenta a couple years ago and just left it alone and it came out in a week. She bred back first try by AI right on time. I've read it can be related to selenium deficiency, which I've had problems with.

We first take a preventative stance ensuring minerals are always used eaten etc. And that nutrition is up to par. Since doing that, RP's have been greatly reduced to a rarity. After that, if it does happen, we automatically give oxytocin for any hard birth or twins (high risk cow). Then if the placenta has not removed after 6 hours start start Oxytocin every 4 hours max of 4 treatments (2cc) per day for two days. If the cow has not cleaned after three days, lut. It does not help to remove the the RP but it will keep the cervix open which helps prevent infection from becoming trapped in a closed uterus...not my words...our vet.

"Cows should normally expel their placenta within 6-12 hours after calving. Risk factors that may increase RP include: abortion, C sections, twins, previous RP, Vit E and Selenium deficincy, feeding silage and difficulty calving. Good nutrition greatly reduces RP (trace minerals)
The objective for treatment of RP is to cause the early detachment of RP to revent uterine infections, decreased milk production, decreased reproductive efficiency and vet bills.
*Retained placentas will usually come out without any treatment in 4-7 days. However, if the cow appears sick, she will need treatment."

rockridgecattle":2zu28x5y said:
We first take a preventative stance ensuring minerals are always used eaten etc. And that nutrition is up to par. Since doing that, RP's have been greatly reduced to a rarity. After that, if it does happen, we automatically give oxytocin for any hard birth or twins (high risk cow). Then if the placenta has not removed after 6 hours start start Oxytocin every 4 hours max of 4 treatments (2cc) per day for two days. If the cow has not cleaned after three days, lut. It does not help to remove the the RP but it will keep the cervix open which helps prevent infection from becoming trapped in a closed uterus...not my words...our vet.

"Cows should normally expel their placenta within 6-12 hours after calving. Risk factors that may increase RP include: abortion, C sections, twins, previous RP, Vit E and Selenium deficincy, feeding silage and difficulty calving. Good nutrition greatly reduces RP (trace minerals)
The objective for treatment of RP is to cause the early detachment of RP to revent uterine infections, decreased milk production, decreased reproductive efficiency and vet bills.
*Retained placentas will usually come out without any treatment in 4-7 days. However, if the cow appears sick, she will need treatment."

That's the problem. Down here after 4-5 days of a retained placenta all you have inside is rotted meat and already have infection working. I still prefer to remove them asap and have never had any problems with the cattle after removal, insertion of bolus'. But I do agree that a proper nutrition program will help you come along way in preventing them.

I had a cow last spring take about six or seven days to pass her's, never had one do that before. I was a wreck, remember that dun? Anyhoo, I had the butcher out one fine day and as he was working on a steer, she passed it, very opportune I will say, tossed it in the gut bucket. Since none of the others that calved had any problems I was yakking about it with the Vet doing some AI later that summer, she suggested possible calcium deficiency as she is a big milker with a tad of Jersey influence.

djinwa":3fwpe0yh said:
Amo":3fwpe0yh said:

The only problem with that story is a calf can't survive inside without a placenta. The fetus gets oxygen and nutrients through the placenta from the cow. Maybe you saw one from another cow?

Had my first retained placenta a couple years ago and just left it alone and it came out in a week. She bred back first try by AI right on time. I've read it can be related to selenium deficiency, which I've had problems with.

Honstly cant tell ya I guess. I was at a bull sale. Dad was babysitting. He was crawling through the cedar trees looking for a calf. If memory serves me right, she was the only one calving that day. Couldn't find the calf. So got her in and felt it, and pulled it. Thats bout all I know.

Could of been a she was getting in the mood, and was smelling cleanings from a cow that calved earlier. Talked to a vet about it after it happened, because I thought it was kinda goofy. He said it does happen, and usually you don't catch them in time to save the calf. So you could be correct.

Give oxytocin if you catch them early on after calving. If it has been a day or so since they calved give them a shot of prostaglandin.

I had one last year on a BIG heifer. Called the vet and said wait it out. Next day I could not stand it and took her in to have it removed. $ 75.00 and vet said would have been easier to have waited . Live and learn

I pull them out, put boluses in the cow and give her an antibiotic. Never had any problems doing it that way, and I know some have never had a problem just leaving it. But my question to those that leave it is, would you leave one in your wife???

Latest posts