Cow lost eye

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Cow some how injured(not pink eye) her eye a couple of weeks ago. Have been treating her with anti inflams, antibiotics and have placed a patch over the eye. The eye(or what is left in the socket) is no ways infected and has clear fluid dripping out continuously.

Have never experienced something like this before. It seems to be taking a really long time to heal(or lose eye rather) which is understandable but I have no idea just how long it should take - treatment is extensive and expensive.

Anybody have a more info for me please.

Alison,
Treatment shouldn't be that expensive... We just had a cow last month with cancer eye (very rapid onset) and I took her to the vet and he recommended removal of the eye (very nice 6-yo Hereford). The total procedure was only around $240.00 including meds. That's a small price to pay for a good cow considering the cost of replacements these days. There will be a lot of swelling and stitches will have to be removed in three weeks, but she is doing very well with just one eye now.

TN Cattle Man":1b5yilen said:
Alison,
Treatment shouldn't be that expensive... We just had a cow last month with cancer eye (very rapid onset) and I took her to the vet and he recommended removal of the eye (very nice 6-yo Hereford). The total procedure was only around $240.00 including meds. That's a small price to pay for a good cow considering the cost of replacements these days. There will be a lot of swelling and stitches will have to be removed in three weeks, but she is doing very well with just one eye now.

Same here only due to an injury. Vet removed the eye and sewed it shut for 3 or 4 weeks. Cow is fine now and it didn't cost very much to have it done.

The thing to remember about vet costs is she is in South Africa so costs may be higher.

But I too would recommend complete removal of the eye and sewing it shut.

Matter of several weeks. It's been a long time since any of mine have had eye issues, but the one that was removed for cancer her skin was still inflamed when it was time to take stitches out and we left them in maybe three weeks longer and she was fine.

If the eye isn't recoverable I agree with the others that complete removal would be a better option for her.

Thanks for the replies :D TN, hope your cow will be OK.

Checked the eye this morning, when you open eye lids all you see is pale pink tissue. It's all very clean.

Will chat to the vet today and see if he can come out or if he has any further advice, will let you all know...

Vet checked cow. He reckons most of the fluid/jelly(aqueous humor and vitreous humor :eek: ) has drained out of the eye and he expects it to continue to weep a while longer. There is a small ball left of what used to be the eye, it will continue to shrink until there is a 'natural balance'.

The 'eye' is clean and healing satisfactorily, he does not feel sewing it closed will help at this late stage, I'm to continue with the patch for another week or so.

I have noticed over the last couple of days that the cow is no longer in so much pain, she is eating well and is once again the doting ma :D

Thanks again all.

There was almost no weeping today Hook, she's healing up nicely. I'll have to watch her closely when the patch is removed next week...

Thanks Fitz and TN :D