Cow is off and I can't figure it out

Help Support CattleToday:

EAT BEEF

Reaction score
Three year old cow with a five month old calf, she is in great shape and has plenty of good pasture. I noticed her first because she was hanging back from the other cows. Anyway she is penned up now and she acts like her mouth hurts and drooling, she is not chewing her cud neither is she spitting it out. She is eating and drinking but it's limited, when she gets up she seems a little sore but seems to work it out. Also she will open her mouth and close it quickly every minute or so when she is just hanging out. This has been going on for about 24 hours or so. I have not checked her temp yet.

My first thought is to look in her mouth for any cuts or something stuck in it that would cause painful swallowing. Then of course, rabies causes difficult swallowing, so might want to be careful. Also depends on where you live and if rabies happens much in cattle there.
Good to ask a vet.

http://www.sites.ext.vt.edu/newsletter- ... s-370.html

Cattle most often become infected with rabies when they come in contact with infected raccoons, skunks or foxes. Cattle's curious nature puts them especially at risk when they investigate an animal which is acting strangely in their area. Rabid animals are prone to bite livestock on the nose or extremities. Because these wildlife species are well adapted to areas where cattle are kept the threat of becoming infected is always present. Cattle in barns or other enclosures are not spared the risk of rabies since infected wildlife commonly frequent cattle housing.

Symptoms of rabies in cattle vary considerably. The slobbering, aggressive cow is only one way that the disease presents. Initial signs of the disease may be quite mild with cattle appearing depressed, not eating and isolating themselves. As the disease progresses function of some body parts decreases. This might result in the inability to swallow so that saliva is drooled but it might also be weakness in a leg or legs or a drooping ear or head. Animal behavior may also be varied. A few rabid animals are aggressive but many are sleepy and constant bellowing or straining is also seen. Most animals affected by the disease die within a week from the time that signs are first seen.

Because the signs of rabies are not always certain, animals that don't fit a pattern of typical disease should be examined by a veterinarian. This is especially true if any signs of the disease suggest that the brain is involved in the disease. Animals that die with suspicious signs should be autopsied and official should be made aware of a rabies suspicion, both to protect those who perform the autopsy as well as to be sure that the right tests are done to be sure rabies will be detected if it was the disease.

My first thoughts in semi-order of suspicion.... wooden tongue, vesicular stomatitis, foreign object (stick?) or abscess (e.g. from losing calfhood molars), rabies, pneumonia (AIP), mycoplasma.

Where are you located? There's been a lot of VS in the Colorado area recently.

Is she on the same pasture she's been on all summer? recent rain or pasture growth?

Check temp and breaths per minute (ideally the latter before you move her). Handle her head with gloves if you check her mouth. Look for sores on her gums and tongue. Check for lumps on the outside of her jaw. Might need a vet in person to come up with a diagnosis and treatment for this cow.

milkmaid":p1vpgkuw said:
My first thoughts in semi-order of suspicion.... wooden tongue, vesicular stomatitis, foreign object (stick?) or abscess (e.g. from losing calfhood molars), rabies, pneumonia (AIP), mycoplasma.

Where are you located? There's been a lot of VS in the Colorado area recently.

Is she on the same pasture she's been on all summer? recent rain or pasture growth?

Check temp and breaths per minute (ideally the latter before you move her). Handle her head with gloves if you check her mouth. Look for sores on her gums and tongue. Check for lumps on the outside of her jaw. Might need a vet in person to come up with a diagnosis and treatment for this cow.

Thanks for the ideas. We are in Ohio, Pastures are very lush but they have been all summer. I did catch her chewing her cud late last night but she did not seem to be enjoying it. Already stuck my bare hands in her mouth so I hope it's not rabies.

Latest posts