cow is down

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
I need some help with my down cow,my holstein calved on march 11 from my fullblood simmental bull.Everything went great,today when put bale in the feeder all the cows came out to eat accept the holstein.When in the barn to see what the problem was she could not get up.Called a friend that helps me with my cattle tried everything she did get up once now down again help me out thanks Dean :(

Possible milk fever? I would also suggest calling the vet. How was she laying when you first discovered she was down?

When I found the cow she was laying down the normal way with feet under her belly.She was chewing her cud ,she eats just seems like her legs has no strength ,hope this will past with medication and get back up on her feet.Thanks Dean :)

Dean the hobby farmer":24myjm4v said:
When I found the cow she was laying down the normal way with feet under her belly.She was chewing her cud ,she eats just seems like her legs has no strength ,hope this will past with medication and get back up on her feet.Thanks Dean :)

Well, that rules out milk fever. What medication are you giving her?

I would not give her penicillin (or any other type of antibiotic) unless you know for a fact that she has some type of infection/illness. Have you taken her temp? If so, what is it? It sounds like she may have some inflammation brought on by calving that is preventing her back legs from working properly - penicillin won't do a thing for that. At the very least, I would call my vet and discuss this with him/her. You might also ask him/her about Banamine or Flunexin - I believe they are both anti-inflammatories, but I'm not sure on that. We do not use Banamine, and have rarely used Flunexin. In the meantime, make sure you're rolling her on a regular basis to prevent sores from forming and to relieve constant pressure on any one area.

How about symptoms?

What number calf?
What condition of cow?
What type of feed?
Consistency of manure?
Appetite?
Milk production?
Etc....

Flunixin and Banamine are one and the same drug. There's a third one too that's same drug, same concentration, just slightly different name. The others are all just generic versions of Banamine.

milkmaid":3hoc8aje said:
Flunixin and Banamine are one and the same drug. There's a third one too that's same drug, same concentration, just slightly different name. The others are all just generic versions of Banamine.

Thanks, milkmaid. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. They do have anti-inflammatory properties, don't they? Or am I wrong on that?

Yep, they do. You're right. Anti-inflammatory, fever reducer, and pain relief. I prefer it over Dexamethasone since dex is an anti-inflammatory steriod, and also suppresses the immune system. Banamine won't do that.

I knew about the fever reducer (that is the only thing we've used Flunexin for, and rarely have one running a fever high enough to warrant using it), and pain relief. Pain relief suggests anti-inflammatory, but I wasn't sure. Thanks, hon. :) I don't know the first thing about Dexamethasone, but that is good to know. Thanks!

I like it when people put up a post with no details and then don't reply to the questions and answers :roll: .Maybe he is spending every moment with the cow.

There are to many variables and not enough info to even give an educated guess as to what is wrong with the cow.

Fatty liver syndrome
Mastitis
Infection from not cleaning up properly after calving

and 50 other things that dairy animals are susceptible to especially first calvers

Thanks everyone for the replies with my problem with the down cow.Sorry I did not get on with some info on the cow , was not around the computer all day.The vet thinks it could because of low protein due to the poor hay condtions last summer.She was fine Thursday out eating with the other cows,Friday different story.I am not familar with names of medications , one was done by iv to build up her protein.Tomorrow a friend is going to see if we can lift her up with his cow lift.Two years ago she was a mother to couple of calves in the pasture,pasture was poor she had no problem.Sorry I can not give the right answer because I do not know what the right answer is I hope it turns out for the best she has on beautiful calve this year.Thanks Dean :?

Sounds like to me the vet was being nice saying she was lacking protein. :shock: Good way of saying she's too thin! lacking proper balanced NUTRITION.
Remember, a cow can STARVE TO DEATH with hay stacked up to her bellie to eat but low on NUTRITION. I think there are a lot of people that don't understand that. Hay is not equal quality. There's great hay and there's hay that will starve an animal. Poor hay must be supplimented with grain.

Thanks for the reply she was doing fine until Friday ,the other cows are fine no problems,if that is the problem I will try my best to help her out.When she is in the pasture every calf will steal milk from her she is very easy going.Her calf is only one milking her,this could be the problem but I still think ,the other cows could of pushed her and she slipped on the floor maybe not I do not have all answers thanks again Dean :lol:

Latest posts