Cow in a beaver hole.

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
A few years ago while i was walking along a creek bank deer hunting. I was slipping along this little creek, it was about 15' maybe 20' wide. And the banks on both sides of the creek droped sort of staright off to the water. and it was about 4' to 5' to the waters surface. The creek might have been 3' deep in places.

When i was walking on top of the bank. I came up on this hole about a foot in diameter that went straight down in the ground. I thought it might have been dug by a yote or something. Then i came up on another one just a little bit bigger, big enough that i had to leap a little to get across it.

Then i came up on one that looke to be about 2' across so i had to take a little bit of a run to leap across it. Just as my right foot left the ground and i was in the air leaping across. I looked down into the hole. And boy ! There was this big black thing right in the middle of the hole that moved just enough to scare the dickens out of me and to let me know that what ever it was is alive ! I swear even though i was in mid air. It was like after burners on my boots kicked in and i flew on across that hole.

When i got to the other side. It took me a moment to get the courrage to look back in the hole to see what it was. Because i just could not imagine what could be that black. And to when i first jumped across it. It looked like it had something black and glossy in the center of it.

So i put my rifle to my sholder and kept a good aim as i leaned over to look back into that hole. When i first looked at it. It took me just a few seconds to realize what it was. It was the head of a full grown black cow. She had her head laying side ways and i was shocked. At first i thought she was dead then she flicked her ear just a little. And then blinked her eye.

That cow had been walking along that sandy creek bank and i guess beavers had tunneled back into the bank. And she fail through. She must have struggled so much tring to get out that the ground just filled in all around her burrying her. The only thing that you could see of her was her head. And it was just a side veiw that you could see. and it was about 2 foot below the ground level. The ground arround her was not tore up or nothing.

I looked up the owner of the land who lived about 20 miles away and told him about it. By the time i had contacted the owner it was starting to get dark.

I told him i could go and show him where the cow was. But he said he thought he could find it and it would be a little while before he could get there any way.

So i went back about 3 hours later and no one was there. The next day i called the owner and he said that he had got the cow out but did not think she was going to live. He said he had to take a back hoe and make a road into where the cow was ( which was a little troble but not to bad the creek was not that far form the pasture) but then he had to dig her out and load her on a flat bed trailer to get her to the barn.

He said he rigged up a sling of some type where she could sort of be in a standing position. Because she had been in that creek bank so long that she could not stand on her own. But she wound up dieing. The owner said she had been submersed in water & mud the whole time she was in there. I have no idea how long she had been there before i found her.

Stepper":179rnoad said:
At first i thought she was dead then the flicked her ear just a little. And then blinked her eye.

She must have struggled show much tring to get out that the ground just filled in all around her burrying her.

He shot her.

No i did not shoot her. LOL I felt sorry for the old cow.( I say old cow, from what i could see of her she did not look to be a old cow, but a full grown cow).

I had the same thing happen to a 400 holstein steer about 12 years ago. He disappeared. I looked and looked for him. I was walking up the creek bank looking for tracks and I heard a moo. I looked toward the sound and there wasn't anything there. I walked over there and here was the steer about 2 feet down in a beaver hole. I figured he layed down with his rump over the hole and slid down into it butt first.
It took the better part of the day to dig him out. Three of us managed to slide him up into the back of a pickup. He lived but the hind leg that was on the bottom was never right. He ended up in my freezer six months later but as much work as it was I wish I had just shot him and shoveled him over.

Dave

It took three of us digging for two hours and two horses to pull a calf out of a beaver run a few years back. It was about a 400 lb Char calf-he was pretty darn happy to get out of there I tell ya.

Latest posts