Cow I'm starting to like

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3t4oo8rw said:
SSGenetics":3t4oo8rw said:
Thanks again everyone! :tiphat:

She's a Chainsaw (Hatchet son) daughter out of a Wendt bred cow, carrying her 4th calf by a brother to this years National Champion bull, "Ranger". She's a pretty good representation of the "type" we are breeding for.
well if you keep breeding in that direction... you can renew interest in the breed here....i remember going to the livestock expo in Montgomery ... you couldnt see over the back on some of those cattle... and enough leather to stock a saddle company

I know the kind you speak of, I've owned a few.... :shock:

As a whole SG breeders are being very proactive in their efforts to produce an extremely viable animal for the commercial sector. Of course there are those that are stuck in their ways too.... :?

Honestly ALA, for our area and much of the SE, you cannot beat a GertXHereford cow bred to a "black" terminal bull.... Same goes for the GertXRed Angus female. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

ALACOWMAN":vaq3qzud said:
TexasBred":vaq3qzud said:
Massey135":vaq3qzud said:
Really nice udder on her too. These gerts are starting to look more shorthorn and less brahman. I think a 3/16 characteristics is more feasable anyhow.
What would you name that "New Breed"??
forlorn

Forlorn doesn't exactly describe SS's Gert cow that clearly shows much less than 3/8 brahman characteristic. As he said, the breed is trying to be proactive in their efforts to produce a more viable animal for the commercial sector; reducing the brahman phenotype in the breed is imperative in doing so.

Nice word drop though.

you've likely heard of Steve Tondera... that had the Diamond T just a couple miles from me for years.. and GW Jones.. they ran horned hereford on gerts for years

Massey135":trkd7ukh said:
TexasBred":trkd7ukh said:
Massey135":trkd7ukh said:
Really nice udder on her too. These gerts are starting to look more shorthorn and less brahman. I think a 3/16 characteristics is more feasable anyhow.
What would you name that "New Breed"??
The Durham Tropical: http://www.manchee.com.au/dd-development.html
Durham Tropicals were the brain child of John and Liz's over the last 10 years and has developed in to an integral part of the business. Durham Tropicals are a stabilised breed consisting of roughly 50% each of Shorthorn and Santa Gertrudis genetics. There are currently 250 cows in this operation.

Now this is a long dam way from 3/16 Gert.

Come on OG Envy, this is elementary arithmetic we're doing here:
a F1 Gert x shorthorn (Durham Tropical) is 13/16 shorthorn 3/16 brahman. The breed has stabalized the % by breeding F1s to F1s to F1s and so on.

Massey135":kiy3dgov said:
a F1 Gert x shorthorn (Durham Tropical) is 13/16 shorthorn 3/16 brahman. The breed has stabalized the % by breeding F1s to F1s to F1s and so on.
That is not what the website says:

Durham Tropicals are a stabilised breed consisting of roughly 50% each of Shorthorn and Santa Gertrudis genetics
It seems it has stabilized at 50%/50%. Nowhere do they use the word "composite" or did I miss it??

TexasBred":3kdsi6jo said:
Massey135":3kdsi6jo said:
That is not what the website says:

Durham Tropicals are a stabilised breed consisting of roughly 50% each of Shorthorn and Santa Gertrudis genetics
It seems it has stabilized at 50%/50%. Nowhere do they use the word "composite" or did I miss it??
Well Duh, 5/8 of the Gert genetics are SHORTHORN genetics.
An animal that is 50%/50% Gert/shorthorn is a stabalized 13/16 Shorthorn 3/16 brahman.

Massey135":2jup02hw said:
Well Duh, 5/8 of the Gert genetics are SHORTHORN genetics.
An animal that is 50%/50% Gert/shorthorn is a stabalized 13/16 Shorthorn 3/16 brahman.
Gotta give credit where it is due...you're right. :clap: :clap:

ALACOWMAN":l2hkyrsl said:
how do you keep breeding f1's to f1's to f1's and so on,, at some point they become F'2 and so on and so on
You're correct. I was trying to distinguish that the breed is stabalized by breeding f1s to f1s THEN f2s to f2s and THEN f3s to f3s never f1s to f2s or f2s to f3s.

Latest posts