Cow grinding teeth!

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Roads":31h1o8yf said:
Imp570,
not to be a smartelic, but are you sure that she is not just chewing her cud???
D.R.

good point, Dusty - someone not experienced might wonder why a cow was laying around chewing when she finished her ration hours before

chewing - normal
grinding - not good

Hippie Rancher":95a1ecw4 said:
Dusty Roads":95a1ecw4 said:
Imp570,
not to be a smartelic, but are you sure that she is not just chewing her cud???
D.R.

good point, Dusty - someone not experienced might wonder why a cow was laying around chewing when she finished her ration hours before

chewing - normal
grinding - not good

The same thing came to mind. They have top and bottom molars but only bottom incisors with a pad on top. The only teeth they can truly "grind" are the molars.

grinding is usually a sign of stress, may want to have a vet check it out if it continues. A friend of mine bought a bull, he was grinding his teeth but didn't think much about it as he had been hauled around a bit. Got him home and two days later he was dead, had him posted and he had an ulcer.

sometimes my heifers grind their teeth when i first halter break them. thats the only time i've ever had that happen. it wouldnt happen to be on a halter would it?

well stress and pain may be understandable bc she is just days away from having a calf, but she is certainly is not just chewing. it sounds silly but by watching her you can tell by the way she moves her jaw that she is not just chewing.

she does this more often tho after she eats or drinks, but continues doing this hours after she eats.

but since i mentioned it... she was AI on 1-26-07, but she is still pregnant. can the semen still live in her days after she was initally injected or is it just a late delivery? i know she is close cuz her sac is full and her backsideis very swollen.

what exactly is the gestation period on beef cattle?

FYI:
bruxism
Gnashing, grinding or clenching the teeth, common only in cattle. Repeated and continuous grinding of the teeth over a long period of time can wear down and loosen teeth and cause bone loss. It is a sign of subacute abdominal pain and encephalopathy, including hepatic encephalopathy.
Or
It could also be BOVINE SPONGIFORM
ENCEPHALOPATHY. (BSE)

SL

I would keep an eye open for other symptoms. The only cows or calves I've ever had grinding their teeth were sick or in pain.

lmp570":2d4d836a said:
what the heck?? ive never seen or even heard of this before! does anyone have any expierence with this problem?

There is a chance that it could be pneumonia. Is her nose wet? If it gets dry looking she has a fever and also watch her breathing to see if it is labored.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3b72tk02 said:
Only cattle I have heard grind teeth, was also on halter. Some did it the whole show season while being shown.
Other than that, it's definately a sign of pain.

Same with us, we had a show heifer this year that grinded her teeth, only at shows though, so my best guess would be that she was stressed out.

That animal is stressed or has a physical condition/developing. I have seen them grind teeth when a wire/metal object is caught in the jaw.

Probably not associated with the PG.

I would check her health out carefully.

lmp570":2bcs9hh8 said:
well stress and pain may be understandable bc she is just days away from having a calf, but she is certainly is not just chewing. it sounds silly but by watching her you can tell by the way she moves her jaw that she is not just chewing.

she does this more often tho after she eats or drinks, but continues doing this hours after she eats.

but since i mentioned it... she was AI on 1-26-07, but she is still pregnant. can the semen still live in her days after she was initally injected or is it just a late delivery? i know she is close cuz her sac is full and her backsideis very swollen.

what exactly is the gestation period on beef cattle?

The gestation period is not an exact science, but it's usually 9 months and a few days - depending on breed, and other factors - such as first time heifers, mature cows, etc. Breeding date generally gives you an idea of when to start expecting calves, not an absolute guarantee that they will start appearing. Are you sure this heifer isn't in labor and encountered problems that are preventing her from delivering?

she had her calf unassisted on 11-7-07. 81 lbs! thats pretty nice for a red angus calf.

GOOD CALL ON THE DUE DATE MIKE C.

she is still occasionally grinding her teeth. i guess ill just check her mouth when i AI her in a couple months. she has no signs of problems or any other illness.

Latest posts