Cow eating old bones

Help Support CattleToday:

andicetx

Reaction score
I heard one of my cows munching on something hard yesterday and noticed she was eating an old deer bone. After she swallowed that piece she began digging in the dirt with her hoof to get another buried piece. Is there any problems with her eating these bones? Is this caused by a lack of some type of nutrient? Thanks

Calclium defitiont maybe, or she just may have a taste for old bones.

andicetx":1d0vidcv said:
I heard one of my cows munching on something hard yesterday and noticed she was eating an old deer bone. After she swallowed that piece she began digging in the dirt with her hoof to get another buried piece. Is there any problems with her eating these bones? Is this caused by a lack of some type of nutrient? Thanks

Sounds like she need a good mineral.

Deficient in phosphorous.

Definitely get some good minerals out there... cows that go hunting for bones are prone to develop botulism, not a good thing.

TexasBred":3lhesnzs said:
andicetx":3lhesnzs said:

Or you might help her out by giving her any minerals at all. Good or bad.

MikeC":2pl0gzwn said:
TexasBred":2pl0gzwn said:
andicetx":2pl0gzwn said:

Or you might help her out by giving her any minerals at all. Good or bad.

Bingo.....however, seeing where the "poster" lives, that whole world is nothing but limestone.

Isn't it amazing that they will find what they need, one way or another. Who would have ever thunk that a cow would be smart enough to eat bones.

grannysoo":2v4sl6y2 said:
Isn't it amazing that they will find what they need, one way or another. Who would have ever thunk that a cow would be smart enough to eat bones.

She learned it watching the squirrels do the same ;-)

Latest posts