cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes It's been a while since I've been on the board. With a new job and three kids, I just haven't had the time. I was sitting out in the pasture earlier this evening and felt the need to get back in touch with my cattlemen friends. So here's the current problem at Cypress Farms:

Commercial Brangus cow goes down sometime Friday - not sure of the time or the circumstances that led to it. She has a two month old calf, and mama is 6 years old. One of my better cows (aren't they always), good moma, great udder, and very docile. She's slightly thin - I call it "winter thin", but not bone thin by any means. Her BCS would be about 4.5 or so.

She cannot get up, period. She lays down like a cow chewing cud and just stays in the same position all day. If I force her, she tries to get up, but her rear legs look bad, as if they cant get her up. Her front legs are strong. The back legs move, but she can never seem to get them under her to lift her body up.

She is alert, her eyes/head watch everything. If I just looked at her face, I would not think she was sick - (sometimes you can just tell by a look in the face that an animal is sick). Saturday I gave her, through a feeding tube/bottle some electrolytes, and I also gave her a shot of pennicillin. This morning did the same. Poured some feed for her by where she was laying and she ate all of it.

In the pasture she, and all of the other cows have all the hay they want, free choice minerals, and plenty of water. No other cow has had any problems. Two days prior she was standing and seemed fine. There is one oak tree in the pasture that does have some small acorns on the ground.

Having to be the vet, as we all are, my best guess is that she either ate too much acorns, and she's having a "reaction" to them or that the bull was trying to breed her and hurt her back. She calved two months ago, so it's possible she was cycling and the bull was working her over. Never had this problem with my bull before, and this moma is a solid 1,100 to 1,200 pounds.

If you have 'em, you lose 'em, but this is a good one. I'll probably be in touch with my vet tomorrow morning to see what he thinks.

Any guesses/comments?

Two full tubes of CMPK paste usually gets them up in an hour. I bought a downed angus that had been down a week with tons of vet expense. It took three days and 4 tubes. The owner has been calling me the "cow whisperer" ever since.

Two month old calf time to come back in, I wouldn't rule out pinched nerve from bull or cows riding her.
Keep hauling water and feed to her till she gets that look. Get some steriods from the vet if it is nerve piched will help with the inflamation, You know the look Cresent wrench.

Hey Cypress glad to see you back, sorry about the circumstances.

I agree with CB ,get her on some steroidal anti inflammatory . I would hit her with a good dose of Dex first as well as B12 then switch to a milder inflam .

I guess you will be hauling feed and water for a while. The last one I had down from a cow mounting her took about 3 days to recover enough to be able to walk to the drinker. She still nursed her calf while she was down .

Good luck. :wave:

Thanks guys,

The wife already has the list and will go to the vet for me tomorrow while I'm at work. Don't know about cow wispering, but I'll whisper whatever she wants in her ear if she'll get up :D

HD, this old gal is still nursing her calf as well, even though she's down. We'll see what the meds do.

My old milk cow did the same thing last year. She got down 4 times. I've never seen a cow that got down get back up but she did and calved 3 months later. We took a strap and ran it under her and picked her up with the fel. Walked her to the catch pen and feed her a high quality sweet feed, can't remember whats in it we just call it "bull feed". She got down three more times in two days but after two weeks or feed she was fine and has been ever since.

Had one last year that the bull rode into a bunch of rocks. She was down for 4 days and every day she seemed less able to even try to get up.

this post makes me hot under the collar.get a set of hipplifters an start lifting that cow with the fel.lift her an see whats wrong with her legs an feet.an see if she can stand on her own.if she cant stand on her own an just hangs there then she most likely is a goner.

bigbull338":762saaxe said:
this post makes me hot under the collar.get a set of hipplifters an start lifting that cow with the fel.lift her an see whats wrong with her legs an feet.an see if she can stand on her own.if she cant stand on her own an just hangs there then she most likely is a goner.

Don't get irked big bull, I actually lifted her this evening with the tractor; but she couldn't stand on her own yet. Kept her up for about 30 minutes or so while I tended to her. Even down, she's moving a little; each time I go out she's at least 20 feet or so from where she was. She's a fighter for sure.

The vet gave me liquid CPMK, so I have to give it in-line. Gave her 80cc's. He also gave me a steriod shot and a anti-inflammatory as well. The vet seems to think that she'll be up fairly quick after the three shots. He also thinks the bull had something to do with it - maybe pinched nerve..

She drank 10 gallons of water this morning and ate feed; another 10 gallons of water this evening and feed again. As long as this gal is willing to fight, I'll keep lugging water and feed to her. It would be different if she were listless and was emaciated, but she's alert and clear eyed. I think tomorrow morning will tell alot after the three shots have had a chance to work. It's also helping that the last several days have been sunny and in the 60's and 70's.

We'll see.....

You better watch it Mark Ol BB will come down to the swamps and read you the right act and straighten you out like he has done to all the folks in his neck of the woods
everyone cowers as he walks by

BB go wait on your gov't check and shut up

Now seriously
good to have ya back and sorry for your circumstances sounds like you are doing what ya can and should be done
don't stay gone so long Buddy
Heck you probably even missed me moving to Arkansas Delta and taking a job for another member on here that is a real @#$%#^&%$&$ (fine fellar)

cypressfarms":2q3vm17l said:
bigbull338":2q3vm17l said:

Don't get irked big bull, I actually lifted her this evening with the tractor; but she couldn't stand on her own yet. Kept her up for about 30 minutes or so while I tended to her. Even down, she's moving a little; each time I go out she's at least 20 feet or so from where she was. She's a fighter for sure.

The vet gave me liquid CPMK, so I have to give it in-line. Gave her 80cc's. He also gave me a steriod shot and a anti-inflammatory as well. The vet seems to think that she'll be up fairly quick after the three shots. He also thinks the bull had something to do with it - maybe pinched nerve..

She drank 10 gallons of water this morning and ate feed; another 10 gallons of water this evening and feed again. As long as this gal is willing to fight, I'll keep lugging water and feed to her. It would be different if she were listless and was emaciated, but she's alert and clear eyed. I think tomorrow morning will tell alot after the three shots have had a chance to work. It's also helping that the last several days have been sunny and in the 60's and 70's.

We'll see.....

Actually with breeding/mounting injuries you are best to treat with anti inflams for a few days and let her move on her own as much as she can/wants . If you lift her without knowing the extent of damage be it a pinched nerve or a spinal injury you will end up causing more harm than good. You are to get them as comfortable as possible ,keep them warm, dry ,clean area ,and a soft bed pack is better than the cold hard ground ,food and water. The fact that she still tends to her calf also helps her to stand back up on her own .

cypressfarms":1yb4bl8h said:

We'll see.....
Cypress if the bottle of CMPK is for IV administration, get you an IV set and give her the whole bottle at one time....if you're use to giving it in the vein in the neck put it in the milk vein in the stomach area. Remove the needle that came with the set and use an 18 gauge needle. Will let it go in slower and much safer. Too much too quickly can kill....then give her a bottle of dextrose solution IV. Repeat in the morning.

Local vets here don't have CMPK in tubes either. Out of town vet taught me that trick and I mail order it in volume.

The local vets tried the IV method for a week on the one the guy gave me. I don't have much faith in the liquid but that's me.

It is good to have cypress back in the forum. Best part of this whole thing.

AC in the delta?!?!?!??!! Whoa!!!! Yep, I missed that one.

Since I work in Baton Rouge now, I found someone who has CMPK in paste form in town, so I'll pick that up tomorrow. I really don't have the time to mainline her the whole bottle, which was 300 or 400 cc's! I gave her 80, and called it a night. I'm still encouraged by her stubborness to not give in. Any cow that'll drink water out of a 5 gallon bucket while me holding it, WANTS to live. I have to fend off the other cows, because they want to rush her and take her food. So I'm doing it twice a day now. I'm hoping to see improvement tomorrow morning...... We'll see. Whenever I see a cow or calf fight hard to live I tend to fight just as hard to help them; but I won't let a cow, or any animal suffer - and will put them out of their misery quick to not see them suffer.

SInce the cancer I try to be more friendly, but BB - or anyone else doesn't scare me. My cattle, my farm. If you don't like it, tough. Will all due respect, ofcourse! :tiphat:

Great to see you back Cypress. Hope your luck is much better than mine on getting a down cow up.

backhoeboogie":1qmduk9y said:
Local vets here don't have CMPK in tubes either. Out of town vet taught me that trick and I mail order it in volume.

The local vets tried the IV method for a week on the one the guy gave me. I don't have much faith in the liquid but that's me.

It is good to have cypress back in the forum. Best part of this whole thing.
Boogie if the IV don't work the paste certainly won't. IV gives them the immediate addition of the calcium, mag.,potassium and phos that they need right into the blood stream. Vets use it and recommend it. If milk fever is indeed the problem, you often don't have hours for the stuff to work it's way thru the digestive system of the cow and get to the blood stream. Sometimes she only has minutes if not treated immediately and directly .....But don't bother with a vet for your supply. Unless the rules have changed you can buy either right over the counter at the local feed store. About 6 bucks.

Didn't find the paste in Granbury, Weatherford or
Stephenville. Found some "Mag" something or another that was close. What is out there in the med box now was mail ordered. Don't know why vets don't have it or why the feed stores don't have it. Vets do indeed have the liquid.

It takes about 30 minutes for them to get up with the paste generally. So you're right. It is not instant.

This last lot came from Jeffers.

Not saying what is right and wrong TB. Just saying what works for me.

Latest posts