cow down don't know why

Help Support CattleToday:

ramrod3

Reaction score
here's the deal..older cow she goes down today, won't get back up, she is preg., not due for a few weeks yet, we tried to get her up no go, she appears bright and responsive, not the staggers. she had a great calf last spring which is going for 4-h show in a couple of months, as i said she is older about 10, this was going to be her last calf, but can't figure out why she won't get up. calling the vet out in the a.m. thinking about taking the calf....don't know what to do....got any suggestions?

ramrod3":1g05ecni said:
here's the deal..older cow she goes down today, won't get back up, she is preg., not due for a few weeks yet, we tried to get her up no go, she appears bright and responsive, not the staggers. she had a great calf last spring which is going for 4-h show in a couple of months, as i said she is older about 10, this was going to be her last calf, but can't figure out why she won't get up. calling the vet out in the a.m. thinking about taking the calf....don't know what to do....got any suggestions?

Yup - wait and see what the vet says.

I'da called the vet first off after trying to get her up.

Bez!

we argued the point of calling the vet right away, figured she was some stressed and all..we all are stressed figured fist thing in the a.m. vet would be easier to get ..she is laying up normal head is not laying over to any side

I would have called the vet first thing, too. The longer these things go the less chance of the cow getting up. I hope you're rolling her.

Sometimes if old cows get to heavy plus have a heavy calf and water weight in them, full belly and all. They struggle to get up and that tires them out more and more. After a while they give up just want to lay there.

I think its a common problem with a lot of us cowmen and women, we want to keep that good cow, get another calf out of her. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Probably have to take the calf. Most likely you will be able to salvage the hamburger from the cow if she's healthy.

Let us know how it turns out good luck.

mnmt

Keep some OB sleeves on hand and do your own exploration next time.

Bez!

Hello Ramrod

Is she laying on flat ground or is there an incline? I have see cows that can not get up when there head is lower than their hind quarters.

Dub

update on cow down....ended up callin the vet...lot of good that did, she never came...getting pretty sick of these independent birds, thank God for neighboring farmer, we took the calf....but lost the cow....pretty much was the decision anyway. Big 90 lb. bull calf, he figured it looked overdue, but anyhow he is doing great, took to the bottle real good, we as much figured when she went down the calf laid on her and pinched a nerve, as you all know they usually never get back up, a sort of sad but good ending. The neighbor girl is going to take him and raise him up for her 4-h steer for next year, as he is a full brother to the one she is taking this year, she is so excited. Kind of funny too, he is marked just like his big bro. Thanks for all of your comments, means a lot.

p.s. by the way we call him "LUCKY"

Latest posts