Cow/calf vs feeder calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Jonescattleco

Reaction score
I have been feeding steers for the past several years been thinking about switching to cow calf. Would like some opinions if this would be a smart transition?

Yes, no, maybe.. I think that you need to give more details about your situation before anyone can give you a worthwhile response.

I do both. They compliment each other well. I sometimes wish that I only backgrounded calves, but I don't want to be have that kind of capital laid out if the bottom falls out.

Bigfoot":d4xhn3d4 said:
I do both. They compliment each other well. I sometimes wish that I only backgrounded calves, but I don't want to be have that kind of capital laid out if the bottom falls out.

Don't you buy price protection insurance or at least hedge in the futures market?

TennesseeTuxedo":264mputf said:
Bigfoot":264mputf said:

Don't you buy price protection insurance or at least hedge in the futures market?

Price protection insurance is pretty pricey, or atleast it was the last time I looked. I don't think what I do would lend itself to any kind of futures.

Bigfoot":1cyxn6gk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1cyxn6gk said:
Bigfoot":1cyxn6gk said:

Price protection insurance is pretty pricey, or atleast it was the last time I looked. I don't think what I do would lend itself to any kind of futures.

I read on here one time you were backgrounding 700 at a time didn't I? :D

Just messing with ya, as I recall you were talking weights and someone took it as number of calves, lol!

I think with cow/calf you need to have options. You build up a nice cow herd and when seasonal conditions go belly up you need to know what you are going to do like have some agistment available to put them on or spend the money to feed them. Having trade calves if things get tough you can pull out early and ship them off and just wait for conditions to improve. It is a lot more flexible to get in and out.
Ken

Latest posts