Cow calf to buying calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
My pastures are overgrazed and I'm getting ready to sell 3/4 of my cattle to help restore things and cull.

I have a bull and cows 22 head.

I was thinking of maybe selling them all and buying weaned calves in the spring and growing them out and selling them the next fall. I should be able to grow a small handful on grass only with no real food inputs. Is there any economical way to do this? What Price point would be good per calf? I guess the big advantage for me would be no cows all winter.

Or should I just keep with the cows and reduce the number? Any opinions welcomed

Sounds like you dont think you have any cattle worth keeping so you should just sell them all. You should have done this 2 months ago as you would have gotten more for them. If you go that route but 400 weight calves and feed them. They will be pricey in the spring. If you have any hay, you might but them early like late January or early February. Or the other way to go would be to look carefully at your existing cows. Keep the 6 best. Be critical. Decide what is important to you-fertility, growth, docility, ect. Get a new bull in the spring to compliment the cows you kept. It sounds like you are at a fork in the road and you need to decide what direction to go.

Don't know what to tell you, it does sound like you are not really liking your cows. There is no real good "sweet spot" in the cattle markets right now. Cow/calf operations are usually the ones that make the least amount of money 7 out of 10 years. The one saving grace about that is that for the most part, they keep multiplying without a huge cash input... like putting out a big chunk of money to buy a group of feeders. Cows, with a bull, will usually give you more "cows" in the form of calves. So you are having something to sell, while still keeping your base intact. That's a very simplistic view, but I hope you understand what I mean. There are all sorts of parts to that.

If you were to buy feeders, I would buy heifers for the simple fact that here they bring about the same in the spring or the fall. Steers will vary a bit more....ON A NORMAL YEAR. Again, it is a crap shoot lately. You have to like the cows, and not expect to be making any big money off them. I have to agree with darcelina4, either cull hard, or sell them all if you are not happy with them. If the pastures are that overgrazed, then either way, let at least half of the pasture have a break ( if you keep a few) and then rotate your grass using electric or something. Maybe you are just burnt out and need to get out for awhile? Maybe rent it to someone else and get a definite income that is not dependent on the swings in the market. Let it be some elses' headache.

You didn't say how you manage your herd now. How much land you have, where you are located. All those things come into play as to what might be best. But realize, it costs in the neighborhood of 1.50 PER DAY, over the course of a year, to keep a cow. That's a basic figure. but it is a good point to figure off of. So it costs you round figures, $550 a year to keep a cow. That's what you have to get from a calf to just break even....not counting your labor. If the calves you sell weigh 500 lbs and only bring 1.25 lb, that's only 625 per calf for the whole years work. That doesn't include them getting out or other things that happen. If you take all your calf sale money and put it into a separate account, you can get by on an average year. You aren't making money on the ones that don't weigh 500, the heifer calves bring less, if one or 2 die you're behind. You have to weigh in if it is worth your time or if you just are doing it because you like having your own cows. It is not hardly worth it if you are trying to make money at it. Those days are long gone with the turn of the 1900's. Making a living can be done, but not on 20 cows. And again, look at it like this....it is 365 days. Not as confining as a dairy, your hours can be more flexible, but it still requires some time, work, and effort on your part.

I have always wanted to try this but haven't yet. Don't think that now is the time to be selling out if you have good cows at least not here. I would like to be able to not have any cattle or at least not many from Dec-Feb. I don't mind feeding hay but I sure hate dealing with all the mud.

If you decide to buy feeders, buy them in January or early February before everybody that had the idea of not having to feed starts buying. You make your profit in your buying.

Are you in an area that can grow ryegrass? If it was me, I would overseed ryegrass now. In our area, ryegrass doesn't kick in high gear until late February. You want to have your calves bought before then.

Sell in mid August. Make a late hay cutting in late Sept. or early Oct. Reseed with ryegrass and start over by buying in January

I am buying them right now. Planning to winter them and go to grass in the spring. Will sell the end of July, first of August. I am buying heifers. There is a pretty good price per pound drop between a 400 pound steer and a 850 pound steer. On heifers right now there is hardly any difference. The price here seems to be increasing right now which is strange for this time of the year. I am glad I am only a few head short of my goal.

Everyone has given you good advice, only you can know what you want to do. This market is as upset as I have ever seen it.

Latest posts