cow born without tail and anus need help

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
i have a newborn calf with no tail and as far as i can tell no anus, no hole anywhere back there that i can feel. there was something red underneath like where the testicles should be but i couldnt get a good look at it cause of the momma not wanting me around it and them walking around.
DSC01940_zps7543aae2.jpg

If he's nursing and can't poop the best you can do is shoot him before he really starts to suffer.

I agree, put him down before the real suffering starts. The calfs eye look different, it may just be the pic, is it blind also?

scf84":3fi5js10 said:
i have a newborn calf with no tail and as far as i can tell no anus, no hole anywhere back there that i can feel. there was something red underneath like where the testicles should be but i couldnt get a good look at it cause of the momma not wanting me around it and them walking around.
DSC01940_zps7543aae2.jpg

If your description is correct then you have a reason to use the firearm you keep in the house.

And do it soon.

Draw a cross - line from the left ear to the right eye and line from the right ear to the left eye.

Where the lines cross is where you will put the bullet.

Just another responsibility of the farmer and rancher that has to be met.

Bez

artesianspringsfarm":21yswhp0 said:
And also make sure that you don't come up with an excuse to keep that cow. Out the door on the next trailer.

Possibly agree - however - who was the daddy?

Remember he is also involved.

Line breeding?

Multiple line breedings?

Lots of reasons this could have happened.

We do not have any details but at the same time ........

I might very seriously toss them both if they resided on my farm.

Bez

snake67":kriij35k said:
artesianspringsfarm":kriij35k said:
And also make sure that you don't come up with an excuse to keep that cow. Out the door on the next trailer.

Possibly agree - however - who was the daddy?

Remember he is also involved.

Line breeding?

Multiple line breedings?

Lots of reasons this could have happened.

We do not have any details but at the same time ........

I might very seriously toss them both if they resided on my farm.

Bez

Solid point Bez. I was assuming a situation where the bull was above reproach in the matter but I had no good reason to assume that. Would love to know the story on either genetically if you know SCF?

He will be OK for the time being at least until you can get them into the yards and seperate off the cow so you can have a good look at the situation and confirm your suspicions. They do OK for a while on just milk but once the solid food starts going in they blow up like a balloon and go downhill fast.
Ken

Scf84, thanks for posting the pic of the calf, it's very educational and for me at least it is a rare insight to problems with calves.

I would also say not to throw the cow under the bus yet, the sire is as much to blame as her. Also, there is a possibility the deformed calf could be a result of toxic weeds, possibly through hay. A few years ago I had a deformed calf due to bad hay, horsetail baled in the hay.

But you do need to put the calf down, just as I had to do to my deformed calf down.

Just my :2cents:

Alan

Some of these 'birth defects' are just 'accidents' that occurred during embryonic/fetal development - no blame to be cast on sire or dam, just a bad turn of Nature.
However, as some have opined in the saga of lethal defects that have emerged in some of our cattle breeds over the past decade or so, "It's hard to recognize a trend, if you don't ever count the 'first' one affected."

So... I'll agree with others - if the calf truly does not have an anus, the kindest thing will be to put it down.
Cow or bull have to go? Maybe not.
The cow would likely take a ride to town here - not necessarily because she's a problem - but because I'd have to feed her through this winter and next before she contributes any reimbursement for her maintenance expenses.

cows019.jpg

this is a picture of the bull (brangus). dont have a picture of the cow.
cow has had 4 good calves so far, this is the first deformed calve we have had in around 20 years we have had cattle.i have had the bull for about 7yrs, and without looking at my books dont think the cow is his offspring. how often should bulls be replaced?

That many years with no other problems and the history on the Bull and cow...... I'd consider that a fluke. If me, that poor thing gets knocked in the head and decision made on wintering the cow or not.
I only run one Bull. So I change Bulls when one starts showing me a significant number of heifers I want to start holding for replacements.

fitz

Are the eyes normal? The pic looks like the eye is hollow, like it is missing. What are you going to do?
Lucky, why can't a vet make an anus, if everything else is working normally. Salvage value for butcher beef? Just trying to think of other options...

So, it is a bull calf with no scrotum?

Fire Sweep Ranch":69eo98sh said:
Are the eyes normal? The pic looks like the eye is hollow, like it is missing. What are you going to do?
Lucky, why can't a vet make an anus, if everything else is working normally. Salvage value for butcher beef? Just trying to think of other options...

So, it is a bull calf with no scrotum?

No help for this calf, vet bills throughout the calves life will not cover sale value and it will be a tough eat out of the freezer if it survives... Lots of work. OP said eyes were normal. If the calf is backing up stool, who wants that veal?

As Bez said, put a bullet in the head, draw an X between the ears and the eyes and cut your losses.

Like someone said earlier, this is part of being responsible for the well-being of cattle. It definitely sucks, especially if you have a smaller herd, etc., but you did the right thing. Stupid to prolong the suffering of an animal just to make an attempt to feel better about its demise.

Latest posts