Cow aborted calf

Help Support CattleToday:

a while back someone posted that they had a cow abort a 7 month pregnancy and the cow cycled four days later. the bull bred her and she settled. When they first posted that info, I wrote that the chance of her getting pregnant was little to none. The update later stated that she settled. believe what you want.

I had one seemed perfectly healthy. She was 5 plus along when I bought her. Bought 2 that way. One calved. The other never did.
She sold open after being with a bull for 6 or 8 months. Good riddance!

What caused her to abort and how old was the calf that aborted?
Not sure what happen, the feed was the same , pasture was the same, she was a heifer and looked perfectly healthy. In your opinion Should we sell her or give her another shot at being bred. She pretty much is staying away from the herd which concerns me. Thanks for all the replies.

Unless you are in love with her, or she is a bloodline you have turned yourself inside out for, maybe get the vet to check her and then either sell or eat her. It'll be 2 years before you get any return.....preg again, raise a calf sell it.....18 months minimum. Not worth it. But I would be wondering WHY she aborted?????

I believe there are some viruses and what not that cause abortions that can be transmitted from animal to animal. If I remember correctly some of them will show on blood work. I've been this one time before with some purchased cattle and its not some thing you want to chalk nature and then spread through your herd.

I believe there are some viruses and what not that cause abortions that can be transmitted from animal to animal. If I remember correctly some of them will show on blood work. I've been this one time before with some purchased cattle and its not some thing you want to chalk nature and then spread through your herd.
Testing for causes of abortion is a wild goose chase more often than not. Cows abort sometimes. If it's not happening in bunches it's nothing to worry about.

There are different kinds of abortions. Early, mid-term and late. These are my observations With most early ones, you never even know it and the cow rebreeds and has a late calf. Mother nature sometimes senses something is wrong and elects to start over. Some cows just won't hold a pregnancy. I have had a couple heifers like this.

Mid-Term much the same except the cow will be open. Frustrating because you have tested the cow and she was shown to be bred. Some of these will still show bred if a pregnancy blood test was done shortly after they abort. A good technician can sometimes recognize this and ask for a retest to make sure. The guy that does mine marks these as "suspicious". He has saved me a bundle over the years.
If you have more than a couple of these, somethings wrong and some cows need to be tested by a vet. Trich is a possibility.

Late term seems to happen with older cows. As somebody wiser than I said on this board, "The cow is telling you she is done".
For me any older cow that has a late term abortion is gonna be culled asap. I kept a few in my early years and regretted it every time.

There is not much reason to keep any cow that you see abort or notice she has calved when she shouldn't have. For commercial cows you can add a couple hundred bucks to the money you get from the packers and buy you one a couple years younger that is bred to calve with the rest or if its late term, buy a pair.

I have a similar situation. Have 23 cows total that I bought at a sale in May. They were a mix of 2 and 3 year old heifers with a couple older ones thrown in that were a good price and looked really good. I bought 6 registered Angus Heifers in this May sale. All were checked at the sale barn and about 7 months along. Fast forward to end of July and 2 of them dropped nice calves a Bull and a Heifer within a few days of each other the others never had a calf. Fast forward again to Sept and had vet check all my cows to see if the new bull I got was doing good. Everything that was supposed to be bred back was including the 4 that had not dropped calves previously and he said they were 3-4 months along we discussed it and he said most likely they all aborted right after we got them. He also said he would have raised hell with the sale barn as well. My question is should I put them in the next bred cow sale or give them a chance. I wonder if the whole getting worked up for the sale and being ran through the barn then out to our place may have stressed them out and caused it. The vet who we trust very much and is highly respected in the area didn't think there was anything wrong with them but we didn't talk about any blood test. Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

The only time I have seen mid term abortions were in bought cows and they tested hot for BVD.

As soon as we told the vet they were palpated 4-5 mo and never calved he went right to work on getting a testing plan. He never gave me any indication any thing about that was normal. We were consulting with more than one vet getting multiple opinions because it was a very costly process.

It has made me very gun shy about bought cattle.

Latest posts