Couple of things (leasing land & FSA stocker cattle loans)

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We made an offer on a house and a small piece of land we think we might be bale to get, directly behind it is right 50 acres of good pasture. I have talked to the owner about leasing the 50 acres of pasture but it needs fencing, he hasn't got back to me yet with his proposal. It probably needs around 5000-6000 ft. of fencing, he did say he liked the cattle fencing from TSC. I don't have good experience fencing except for electric. Wouldn't this be a fairly big improvement to his land? If he is dead set on the cattle fencing I'm not even sure I should agree to pay half as I think that would still be around $4000. I still have to build cattle working facilities and get a squeeze chute or head catch. Just trying to figure out a fair offer.

Also, I've run my own stockers but always used my own money, we're going to use most of the money to buy the house and land. I'm considering short term FSA loan for stockers but wanted to hear from people that have done that to see what kind of experiences they had. The interest rate looks to be 1.25% but I don't know if you have to have the loan for a certain amount of time or what.

Well I don't know about TSC fencing, but I figure it cost me a $1.50 per foot in fence materials to build myself. And that is no clearing, or chain saw work. I use 4 strands of barb-wire and metal T post on 12' centers. And I buy all my stuff from Lowes, and they have the best price going when you bulk order. He needs to do the buying if your installing the fence. Good Luck on the house, and the pasture that's a tuff one because so much can change from year to year.

Latest posts