Couple of Bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

What I reseached was very interesting. Hard to imagine Angus becoming obsolete. Think of all the cowboys that thought Herefords would always rule the world in the late 19th century and into this century.

Speaking of herfs herefordsire I was looking at a calf the other day. I had a Gelbvieh heifer have a calf out of my Gelbvieh bull. He is homozygous black and the heifer is heteroblack. Four generations back in the pedigree on the bull is a hereford cow. Well this calf came out with white rings around its hooves and a white tip on its tail. HEREFORD genetics never DIE! Even after four generations. I doubt they will be extinct.

I agree Europeans will not be extinct. Same way with the Longhorns. Could take another 100 years though.

TB-Herefords":1n1qorqw said:
I believe it was marketing not marbling. That battle has already been on this board though. A lot of big operation stuck with herefords even throught the CAB blowout. They chose genetic's that worked for them and stuck with what worked for them. A lot of them were crossbred herds though, not straight bred. I think the hereford breed has made huge strides towards better carcass genetics and better cattle in general. I agree though that right now angus control the market but I think the cross bred animal will work its way to the top as people look for more and more efficent cattle. If angus breeders follow suite and go with what pay best at the sale yard those baldies will fill the loads. Just a question HerefordSire. Do you think in a commercial herd run angus cows with a Waygu bull they will pay more than a angus/other black breed? They get ran through the ring they will be looked at as more black calves. Or are Waygu that distinctive?

I could be wrong as always but I believe it was the marbling superiority of Angus relative to the Herefords. The marketing came afterward.

I don't have enough experience to provide an informed opinion to answer your question of whether a Wagyu cross will provide more gross income. However, I see a pattern. The market believes Wagyu beef is superior to all other breeds. Whether or not breeders can generate the required volume or not is another question.

BARNSCOOP":1e2v8yev said:
I'm am to chicken to post pictures of my cattle, for fear of being torn apart. I only have grade cattle nothing special.

Here is how I look at it: Breeding cattle is like playing golf. You can never beat the game itself, you can only play it, get better, and enjoy it.

Lorenzo":kjfnafr6 said:
alacattleman":kjfnafr6 said:
BARNSCOOP":kjfnafr6 said:
I'm am to chicken to post pictures of my cattle, for fear of being torn apart. I only have grade cattle nothing special.
mine are commercial too, one thing on here you'll get a thousand different opinions,,, i pretty much just need one..................mine :p

You must breed whatever works better for your enviorment, doesn't mind if other people like them or not, it's their problem not yours :cowboy:
I don't know much about wagyu's but I heard that to show their full potential they need some years and a good feeding supplementation, it's like that ?

L
our enviorment needs heat tolerent animals, but our market don't. we have too use a moma that can handle the heat insects, and bulls that produce a calf that will make it on a kansas feedlot

http://www.allenbrothers.com/wagyu-ribeye-steaks.html

A hundred bucks a pound for ribeyes? Yup, I'm in!! :D

Seriously, there's no way Wagyu becomes a big player in the U.S. market. First of all, as Frankie said, it takes a long time to finish them. So even if the numbers go up and the price drops, it's still gonna be priced considerably higher than the best prime beef we have today. Ever wonder why you seldom see prime beef at the grocery store? Answer: No one will pay that kind of money when they can get a decent choice or even select steak at a much lower price.

Second, if they have to be babied half as much as I've read about, you'll never see them raised in huge numbers in tough environments like Angus or Hereford. Farmers and ranchers just aren't gonna want to mess with a breed that has to be catered to every step of the way.

Third, the trend the past few years has been away from highly marbled beef to the leaner, "healthier" variety. Personally, I prefer a well marbled steak, but nowadays more and more people are getting away from that.

I don't see Wagyu being much more than the niche market they are now, catering to the white tablecloth crowd that has more money than they know what to do with. I suppose there's money to be made with them just like in any niche market, but I doubt you'll ever see large numbers of them in this country, and they sure as heck aren't gonna replace any of the major beef breeds we have now.

Don't believe everything you read, plenty are raised in harsh environements, both cold and heat and they do very well. Wagyu is a very healthy meat, it is high in unsaturated fat vs. saturated fat you see in the other breeds. It's healthy, tender, and great tasting, that's a hard combo to beat. I don't see it replacing anything though.

RD-Sam":1vn02v6r said:
Don't believe everything you read, plenty are raised in harsh environements, both cold and heat and they do very well. Wagyu is a very healthy meat, it is high in unsaturated fat vs. saturated fat you see in the other breeds. It's healthy, tender, and great tasting, that's a hard combo to beat. I don't see it replacing anything though.

Are you saying that not everything I read on the internet is true? :D

I like your calves, BTW, especially the first one. Good luck with them.

Thanks, I'll post some pics when they get bigger.

VanC":3ltbhhqr said:
http://www.allenbrothers.com/wagyu-ribeye-steaks.html

A hundred bucks a pound for ribeyes? Yup, I'm in!! :D

Seriously, there's no way Wagyu becomes a big player in the U.S. market. First of all, as Frankie said, it takes a long time to finish them. So even if the numbers go up and the price drops, it's still gonna be priced considerably higher than the best prime beef we have today. Ever wonder why you seldom see prime beef at the grocery store? Answer: No one will pay that kind of money when they can get a decent choice or even select steak at a much lower price.

Second, if they have to be babied half as much as I've read about, you'll never see them raised in huge numbers in tough environments like Angus or Hereford. Farmers and ranchers just aren't gonna want to mess with a breed that has to be catered to every step of the way.

Third, the trend the past few years has been away from highly marbled beef to the leaner, "healthier" variety. Personally, I prefer a well marbled steak, but nowadays more and more people are getting away from that.

I don't see Wagyu being much more than the niche market they are now, catering to the white tablecloth crowd that has more money than they know what to do with. I suppose there's money to be made with them just like in any niche market, but I doubt you'll ever see large numbers of them in this country, and they sure as heck aren't gonna replace any of the major beef breeds we have now.

Nice reply. The thing about projecting into the future...in this case, say 50 to 100 years...similar to the amount of time Angus overtook the leader Herefords and a longer time for Hereford to overtake the Longhorns...it attracts naysayers. It is so easy to take the side of the masses. I do not expect anything different here. However, if a man was fortunate to be a top breeder when the Herefords began to be very popular as the result of Anxiety the 4th....thereby providing a nice thick rump which was lacking in the breed, then I would say this breeder could become very successful much more than if a breeder raised the same product as the masses while supply increases more than demand thereby putting downward pressure on prices. This is a no-brainer to me.

RD-Sam":1gr61dw6 said:

It could be that the most important thing is some are black so if you want to drive the same gas guzzler or electric hybrid as your next door neighbor because of peer pressure, you can do it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":3fkhs6rj said:
RD-Sam":3fkhs6rj said:

It could be that the most important thing is some are black so if you want to drive the same gas guzzler or electric hybrid as your next door neighbor because of peer pressure, you can do it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
where does the peer pressure come from? it had to originate somewhere.

HerefordSire":2qch8nbz said:
Nice reply. The thing about projecting into the future...in this case, say 50 to 100 years...similar to the amount of time Angus overtook the leader Herefords and a longer time for Hereford to overtake the Longhorns...it attracts naysayers. It is so easy to take the side of the masses. I do not expect anything different here. However, if a man was fortunate to be a top breeder when the Herefords began to be very popular as the result of Anxiety the 4th....thereby providing a nice thick rump which was lacking in the breed, then I would say this breeder could become very successful much more than if a breeder raised the same product as the masses while supply increases more than demand thereby putting downward pressure on prices. This is a no-brainer to me.

Well then, shucks, I say go for it. A hundred years from now, if you're right, I'll gladly give you your due, right here on this very forum. :p

RD-Sam,

I watched the video on youtube. Very informative. I noticed that it appeared they grain feed there cattle heavily. Has research shown that this breed of cattle can keep condition and quality meat on grass and hay?

Just about every operation I have seen in Japan is just like the one in the video or similar. I know they are put out to graze here in the states and they are fed just like the rest of the cattle. I think there are only one or two operations in the states that do the traditional type of feeding and care that the Japanese do. They still produce excellent quality meat if they are from good lines, regardless of which method is used. There are three different main lines in Japan, and each has it's own traits, whether it be more carcass or better quality meat from the smaller animals, so you should check into the different lines before you ever did anything. I opted to go with the lines with better meat quality.

Latest posts