Couple of Bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
Here are a couple of bull calves born a few days ago. First one is out of a 2 1/2 year old heifer, sired by Hillside Retail Product 418, I really like the looks of him, calf is one day old. Second one is out of a five year old cow, sired by Objective, calf is 3 days old in the pic.View attachment 1

Nice calves Sam. It's hard for me to tell how they will grow out at this age. They look like my day old calves but I bet yours will be much better at weaning time.

BARNSCOOP":28u35lux said:
Nice calves Sam. It's hard for me to tell how they will grow out at this age. They look like my day old calves but I bet yours will be much better at weaning time.

Thanks! Yep, all we can do is let them grow and see what we have. I like the head on the one out of the heifer, looks like he may be real masculine looking.

BARNSCOOP":1hi4ydn4 said:
I'm am to chicken to post pictures of my cattle, for fear of being torn apart. I only have grade cattle nothing special.

I just laugh about it, all you can do is the best you can and if that isn't good enough, oh well! :lol2: I make fun of my own sometimes, all you can do is just try and fix whatever is wrong and have some humor about it. :nod:

HerefordSire":3c3o1hnx said:
Where are the red calfs?

No red ones yet, I tried to buy a bred Hereford heifer awhile back and they wouldn't pull her from the sale, and I couldn't go. Wasn't going to take a chance on somebody running a bid up while I wasn't there. I'll find one I like before too long. Got some Wagyu embryos, may have some of those next year, I could see that getting torn apart on here. :lol2:

RD-Sam":2mcff0fo said:
HerefordSire":2mcff0fo said:
Where are the red calfs?

No red ones yet, I tried to buy a bred Hereford heifer awhile back and they wouldn't pull her from the sale, and I couldn't go. Wasn't going to take a chance on somebody running a bid up while I wasn't there. I'll find one I like before too long. Got some Wagyu embryos, may have some of those next year, I could see that getting torn apart on here. :lol2:

Man....sounds like you did good! Wagyu is wave of the future. Angus and Herefords and others may become extinct.

I doubt that very seriously, but the Wagyu could become more popular if the price comes down, they are really expensive right now though. I could have bought three or four good Angus embryos for each Wagyu I bought. :secret:

RD-Sam":h9pkwrew said:
I doubt that very seriously, but the Wagyu could become more popular if the price comes down, they are really expensive right now though. I could have bought three or four good Angus embryos for each Wagyu I bought. :secret:

Angus marbling made Hereford all but disappear. Waygu could do the same thing. Price of Waygu beef should drop drastically when the population goes up. Angus control the market now but I project all European bovines will be collector animals similar to baseball cards.

BARNSCOOP":kt0pwfyn said:
I'm am to chicken to post pictures of my cattle, for fear of being torn apart. I only have grade cattle nothing special.
mine are commercial too, one thing on here you'll get a thousand different opinions,,, i pretty much just need one..................mine :p

HerefordSire":dd8w8ehm said:
RD-Sam":dd8w8ehm said:

Angus marbling made Hereford all but disappear. Waygu could do the same thing. Price of Waygu beef should drop drastically when the population goes up. Angus control the market now but I project all European bovines will be collector animals similar to baseball cards.

The Wagyu and Angus make a good cross, so that was one of my interests in them, that could be affordable to Joe Public. I'm working on beef quality in my angus for the time being, that can't do anything but help.

RD-Sam":3mau8fjt said:
HerefordSire":3mau8fjt said:
RD-Sam":3mau8fjt said:

The Wagyu and Angus make a good cross, so that was one of my interests in them, that could be affordable to Joe Public. I'm working on beef quality in my angus for the time being, that can't do anything but help.

What I reseached was very interesting. Hard to imagine Angus becoming obsolete. Think of all the cowboys that thought Herefords would always rule the world in the late 19th century and into this century.

What I reseached was very interesting. Hard to imagine Angus becoming obsolete. Think of all the cowboys that thought Herefords would always rule the world in the late 19th century and into this century.[/quote]

Speaking of herfs herefordsire I was looking at a calf the other day. I had a Gelbvieh heifer have a calf out of my Gelbvieh bull. He is homozygous black and the heifer is heteroblack. Four generations back in the pedigree on the bull is a hereford cow. Well this calf came out with white rings around its hooves and a white tip on its tail. HEREFORD genetics never DIE! Even after four generations. I doubt they will be extinct.

cowman30":oscj3o53 said:
What I reseached was very interesting. Hard to imagine Angus becoming obsolete. Think of all the cowboys that thought Herefords would always rule the world in the late 19th century and into this century.

Speaking of herfs herefordsire I was looking at a calf the other day. I had a Gelbvieh heifer have a calf out of my Gelbvieh bull. He is homozygous black and the heifer is heteroblack. Four or five I cant remember which generations back in the pedigree on the bull is a hereford cow. Well this calf came out with white rings around its hooves and a white tip on its tail. HEREFORD genetics never DIE! Even after four generations. I doubt they will be extinct.

Angus marbling made Hereford all but disappear. Waygu could do the same thing. Price of Waygu beef should drop drastically when the population goes up. Angus control the market now but I project all European bovines will be collector animals similar to baseball cards.[/quote]

I believe it was marketing not marbling. That battle has already been on this board though. A lot of big operation stuck with herefords even throught the CAB blowout. They chose genetic's that worked for them and stuck with what worked for them. A lot of them were crossbred herds though, not straight bred. I think the hereford breed has made huge strides towards better carcass genetics and better cattle in general. I agree though that right now angus control the market but I think the cross bred animal will work its way to the top as people look for more and more efficent cattle. If angus breeders follow suite and go with what pay best at the sale yard those baldies will fill the loads. Just a question HerefordSire. Do you think in a commercial herd run angus cows with a Waygu bull they will pay more than a angus/other black breed? They get ran through the ring they will be looked at as more black calves. Or are Waygu that distinctive?

RD-Sam":37ispb5p said:
HerefordSire":37ispb5p said:
RD-Sam":37ispb5p said:

The question about Wagyu is the cost of getting them finished. It's my understanding that they'll be in the feedlot a long time before they're at slaughter weight.

Frankie, yes the fullblood Wagyu do take about twice as long to finish, but the money you get for the meat is about 4 to 5 times as much as Angus(or even more). The crossbred don't take that long to finish from what I understand and they grade way better than angus, at least they do from quality genetics. Genestar on the embryos I bought was 18 stars on the dam and 21 stars on the sire, there are only 22 stars. Wagyu are very efficient too, better than anything I have seen.

alacattleman":yemwqvdn said:
BARNSCOOP":yemwqvdn said:
mine are commercial too, one thing on here you'll get a thousand different opinions,,, i pretty much just need one..................mine :p

You must breed whatever works better for your enviorment, doesn't mind if other people like them or not, it's their problem not yours :cowboy:

I don't know much about wagyu's but I heard that to show their full potential they need some years and a good feeding supplementation, it's like that ?

L

Ooops it seems I was asking at the same time you was answering !!!

Thanks RD-Sam :cowboy:

L

Latest posts