Country Boy in the City.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
My other fulltime job (the one with pay, insurance, etc...) as an engineer requires that I travel every so often. This week I'm stuck in downtown Atlanta for 3 days.

What I just had re-confirmed to me is that I don't like being approached by someone looking for a handout, ie. money for booze, drugs, etc. I especially do not like being approached with these folks after dark.

I can't say as I blame you. Downtown Atlanta is scary enough during the daytime, let alone at night. I took a wrong turn coming back from somewhere, got lost, and ended up there shortly after I moved to Atlanta - never made that mistake again! :shock: :shock:

I've gotten approached by some homeless person asking for money/extra change on the street, and usually the best way for me is to either say "Sorry, don't have any", or use the cold-shoulder method.

Avoid Eye-Contact an' keep walkin'. That never fails to avoid getting asked for money, drugs, booze, or whatever.

Since I have to walk four blocks to school, I do whatever I can to avoid those things and those type of people. Especially at night. Nighttimes' the worst.

They sent me to Boston once. They take care of the flights, car rentals etc. I got stuck in a toyota. I had never driven one of them. Well there are toll booths like every 100 feet. Beats anything you've ever seen. I couldn't figure out how to roll the window down on that toyota and it was dark. I couldn't find the interior light switch either to look for it. I finally just opened the door and threw money in the funnel. Well when I opened the door, the car behind me sat on the horn, squalled their tires in reverse, and hit the bright lights.

I guess that was my welcome to New England ritual.

If I get sent out and can't find someone to go in my stead, I now make darn sure I don't get stuck in a foreign go-cart.

I made the mistake a couple years ago of getting off at the wrong exit in Dallas Texas for gas. By the time I walked to the window to pay for the gas, I was asked for money by 3 different people.

1.Lady at window paying did not have enough money for her stuff

2.Homeless looking guy started pumping my gas and washing my window and holding his hand out.

3.And a person parked by the pay phone asked for a dollar.

All three asked me within 2 minutes. I stuck in a couple dollars of gas real quick and got down the road to a safer looking place.

My dad being a trucker gets this all the time and he always offers to give them some work. To this day he has not ever had anyone take him up on helping unload his truck for pay.

Latest posts