couldn't do it without my top hand

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score

Sorting pairs. We do it about twice a year. Catch the pairs off lease property's. We take them home to graze on improved pasture. Then haul the dry cows to the away pastures. This place is just under 500 acres, all one pasture. No working pens except the makeshift trap. It can be a real challenge. Couldn't do it without her. She's smart, educated, real sneaky, not scared of rank cattle, and can ride like a Comanche. ..... :cowboy:

She does grip a little, usually about dirty socks and beer cans.
On the 60 miles round trip we had to stop to pee twice..... :hide:

If you blind folded my wife, and turned her loose on the back side of our place, she wouldn't know where she was at. We've owned it 25 years.

Is that your wife or daughter? Any ways looks like good help as it is hard to find.

Bigfoot":ljj8vyvd said:
If you blind folded my wife, and turned her loose on the back side of our place, she wouldn't know where she was at. We've owned it 25 years.

I don't even need a blindfold.

I'm blessed when it comes to my top hand. If I had her energy and want to, we'd be unstoppable. She has never backed down from anything, and can and does work the cows by herself. And to top it off she's a great cook and not to bad of a driver. The only thing she needs to work on is her shooting.

Couldn't do it without her. She's smart, educated, real sneaky, not scared of rank cattle, and can ride like a Comanche. .....
Fence man you left out BEAUTIFUL. :pretty: (Which I am sure that she is with those kind of skills.)

Bigfoot":tsqf4f56 said:

:lol: :lol: my wife still hasn't figured out the two basic rules with cattle after all these years here. If you open a gate close it! Why can't I just leave the hot wired gate down? There's no cows in that pasture.

Still love her, I just have to go behind her to see what is what.

I have to plan cattle work around my wife's schedule or have a very reasonable discussion about why it's best for me to go up alone. I can put out hay by myself but if the trailer is on the truck she's got her horse saddled before I get mine caught.

wbvs58":2gw4s2gt said:
Looks like she could be a bit of a "looker" too fenceman.
Ken
branguscowgirl":2gw4s2gt said:
Couldn't do it without her. She's smart, educated, real sneaky, not scared of rank cattle, and can ride like a Comanche. .....
Fence man you left out BEAUTIFUL. :pretty: (Which I am sure that she is with those kind of skills.)

We'll I didn't want to brag :cowboy:

highgrit":2gw4s2gt said:
I'm blessed when it comes to my top hand. If I had her energy and want to, we'd be unstoppable. She has never backed down from anything, and can and does work the cows by herself. And to top it off she's a great cook and not to bad of a driver. The only thing she needs to work on is her shooting.
You found her one weakness hg . She can't hit the inside of a barn with the door closed behind her. :hide:

highgrit":hlvr4zad said:
You found her one weakness hg . She can't hit the inside of a barn with the door closed behind her. :hide:[/quote]

I guess I should of said rifle shot. She carries a old 1100 Remington loaded with 4 buck most all the time. And she's on vacation with the kids for a week right now. And I'm worried because their in a anti - gun state, and she's packing her pistol everywhere she goes.

The top hand retired last month from her salaried job of 15 years. Stress , burn out, and moral conflict with the owners. She quit.
Also she said while I'm ( me)quite good at making money, I practically leave a trail on the ground behind me. So she's going to manage me. She's really always managed the fence co. But now she's going to pretty much take over every business aspect of it. She's also going to manage the cattle. They couldn't be more excited. I see this as a positive and I am confident and proud.
Picked up her own rig this weekend at a auction. Not the most popular, but seems to be a ok machine. Got a seat in the back for the mil.
The pic with the ak was for fun . Sent it to our son..with text..we gotta find your mother a new job.

Bigfoot":irq650fd said:

I took mine along to help me work cattle. Once was enough. I had called the cattle into the trap, and asked her to help me drive them into the pen (they were all tame, calm cows). I explained to her how to do it and thought everything was good. I was walking along with her a little ways from me, and I happened to glance up at a cow walking right past her. I looked over at her and she was walking along with her head down playing with her phone. Now I only take her along when I'm working cows so there'll be somebody there to call 911 if I get run over. Fortunately she has many other good qualities (foremost among them is putting up with me).

It's good she can do that. If your gonna work, might as well be something you can enjoy.

My wife hasn't worked since 1994, but please don't tell her I said that. She runs everything, and deals with the lawyers, accountants and the banks. I told her and her mother 20 years ago "if you rip me off I'll kill you" So far so good, and we've been on a good ride together. I know guys that have been ruined by letting their wives run there businesses, and have power of attorney. Nothing beats a wife you can trust and work with. IMO

Read somewhere

'Behind every successful rancher is a wife that has a job in town." :cowboy:

Latest posts