Could it be ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gwenhwyfar

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 7yr old Murray Grey X cow, at time of purchase she had her 9mth old BULL calf still nursing , Calf was by a Murray Grey Bull also,(I only bought cow home, calf went separate way).
Now since I have had the cow, she has not cycled & I purposely kept her confined (1acre paddock) & hand fed for the past 2months to monitor this etc. ( i.e should have been 2 cycles)
My Question is "Could her own calf at 8 to 9mths old have impregnated her". I have read that it is possible, but would like to know has anyone had it happen.
Cow is also looking poddy, but that could be due to feed rather than foetus :?:

To put it simply, yes he may have. It's not comoon but it does happen that young bulls, some before weaning can settle a cow.

dun

Gwenhwyfar":1gsey1p1 said:
Recently purchased a 7yr old Murray Grey X cow, at time of purchase she had her 9mth old BULL calf still nursing , Calf was by a Murray Grey Bull also,(I only bought cow home, calf went separate way).
Now since I have had the cow, she has not cycled & I purposely kept her confined (1acre paddock) & hand fed for the past 2months to monitor this etc. ( i.e should have been 2 cycles)
My Question is "Could her own calf at 8 to 9mths old have impregnated her". I have read that it is possible, but would like to know has anyone had it happen.

I'm not familiar with how things are done in Australia but, usually the cows are bred back by the time the calf reaches 4-6 months of age here. If you know for a fact that this cow has not been exposed to a bull since delivering her calf then, yes - it's very possible that her son has bred her.

Beef11":383ju7q1 said:
I wouldn't worry about it if she is. Get the calf and breed her next year.

I would. Granted, I'm not into 'line breeding', and I don't have all the particulars down pat - but a son breeding his mother could very well prove to be a wreck in the making. Especially since the cow is owned by a possible newbie (no offense intended, Gwenhwyfar).

Thankyou for your reply's although I was hoping someone may have had this experience first hand .... Just curious, as I usually dont wean my stud bull calves until 10 months old and have never had this happen.
Yes I like to breed back my Brahmans from 3months after they have calved, slots them into a 12month breeding program, but this particular cow was purchased from a guy who thought .. Have acreage - need cow - now what !
Hence leaving me trying to sort this cow out nutritionaly, medically and otherwise.

Gwenhwyfar":2g7fer5n said:
Thankyou for your reply's although I was hoping someone may have had this experience first hand .... Just curious, as I usually dont wean my stud bull calves until 10 months old and have never had this happen.

We've never had this particular problem, but our cows are usually bred back before the bull calves even think about reaching maturity. We calve mid-March through May, and the bull goes out the first part of June. Another factor is that our calves are weaned the latter part of September, first part of October - that puts most of them right at 6 months old. They are weaned, allowed to settle down, and the bull calves are sorted off and seperated from the heifers and steers within a month.

Get her palped to determine if she's bred or not. She could be anestrus for a number of reasons or having silent heats that you can;t detect. The other option is to wait 9 months and see if she calves.

dun

I purchased 3 cows from my uncle that had 2 bull calves and one heifer calf with them. No other bull around. All 3 cows were bred when I had them palpated. Sold those calves and they have calved at 11-12 month intervals for the past 3 years that I've had them. Now, those 2 bull calves were probably at least 10 mts old, but the cows were bred.

Latest posts