Could I survive without a 4 wheel drive?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":3so7myve said:
Bigfoot":3so7myve said:
bigbull338":3so7myve said:
trade your tractor off for another 4x4.the M5s are nice but new they cost $63,600.i just traded a 2013 7040su 4x4 fel rops hydro for a 2012 case 110a cab 4x4 hydro fel.
I can't spend what a new cab tractor cost.
that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

I would of liked the 7040 for 23,500 . Especially if it had the power shuttle option . will not go back to a mechanical shuttle after having the hydro shuttle . Im looking for a 7040 , 8540 , 9540 . or 7060 and up etc open station or cab

We have several older 2wd tractors and do ok with them. They are like lawn darts with front end loaders in wet areas.

Going forward I will only purchase 4wd. Its not as much about the mud to me as the smoother ride and heavy duty tires on the front.

I notice a lot of the newer 4wd tractors come with some pretty narrow little tires.

The turning radius seems to be tractor to tractor. My dads tractor takes some area to turn not bad but what you would expect from 4x4. Bit of a pain to back a wagon with. I have a smaller 4x4 same make that turns and operates like a 2wd. Mine does have wheels all the way out for 40'' rows though.

Putting airplane tires on the front of your 2wd tractors keeps them out of the mud a little better. Better be able to turn with your brakes if you have slick mud though

BobbyLummus1":3a4gghrl said:
bigbull338":3a4gghrl said:
Bigfoot":3a4gghrl said:
I can't spend what a new cab tractor cost.
that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

I would of liked the 7040 for 23,500 . Especially if it had the power shuttle option . will not go back to a mechanical shuttle after having the hydro shuttle . Im looking for a 7040 , 8540 , 9540 . or 7060 and up etc open station or cab
the 7040 had the hydro shuttle thats the only reason i bought.because my left knee is bad and iy saved it from getting beat up.im thinking he will sell my tractor for $25,000 to $27,000.the case 110a is a hydrolic shuttle as well.gotta get a new battery for the 110a though this week.

jedstivers":3tqeb3yk said:
New ones aren't all what they are cracked up to be.
I'm getting more and more disgusted with new stuff.
There's a reason I want a 4050 or 4250 instead of a brand new one in the same hp range.

I've kinda been looking at FWA JD 4050 and 4250's as well for pulling a batwing on hilly ground. Looking to hopefully buy next year. There is a decent looking 4050 on auction time right now and a 4250 here locally selling at live auction next week.....will be interesting to see what they bring.

if your buying used equipment over a certain age its best to pay cash.the interest raye will go up and the time you have to pay for it goes down.

We found a 2011 Kubota 7040 w cab for $21K delivered three or four years ago. It had 330 hours on it. Threw a FEL on it for around $6500. So we are in it for about $28k after servicing everything. Deals are out there. Just have to be patient. We looked for a little over a year before we pulled the trigger.

My Papaw used a 45hp Long for everything. 2wd. Our ground is steep as sheet in places. Cannot get anywhere without going up a good hill. He made it just fine. Although he has stories of having to ride it out sliding down a hill a few times. Just have to be careful and make wise decisions.

Well this Massey has left me on foot the last 2 times I've used it. Water pump last week, and something with the fuel system this afternoon. I ain't going to fool with today. I hate this piece of crap. Used to be a dedicated follower.

I have used a 6640 Ford 2wd for over 20 years feeding in all types of weather.I have an un roller on the back where I carry and feed my 5X6 bales.Can carry one on the front if the ground is solid.Don't use feeders much.My soil won't stand it.

I did not read all the responses. Just depends on the use I guess and comforts you want. I have case 485 that is a little brute. Its 2wd an as long as I have counter weight on it, it will move impressive things. I have beat the snot out of it clearing with the FEL and ratchet rake. Its open cab, no frills with clutch and shifter

This stupid tractor is down again, I guess I'm going to have to haul it to town. I've now spent more on the stupid thing, than I paid for it. It has been worked on 10-12 times since spring. Might as well not have it.

Bigfoot":1i7ffu4o said:
This stupid tractor is down again, I guess I'm going to have to haul it to town. I've now spent more on the stupid thing, than I paid for it. It has been worked on 10-12 times since spring. Might as well not have it.

She may be ready for a new home BF :nod:

Latest posts