Could I survive without a 4 wheel drive?

Help Support CattleToday:

Of course you could. Why punish yourself and halfazz be able to do a job. Buy a older proven machinical model of a good proven brand.
I want a 4050 or 4250 Deere. There's plenty of other good ones too.

dun":2j56augi said:
Bigfoot":2j56augi said:
I'm afraid you guys are right. I have actually looked at some of the feeding stations that the university of Kentucky has built. Thought I might do a couple of them but I'd rather feed on my poorest soils, and try to build them up.
Have you priced the cost of building one? I did several years ago and decided to stick with bale rings and a waste area.

Yes, they are terrible expensive. Concrete pad down both sides, would be the bulk of the expense. The mess around them, gets as bad as the mess you are trying to avoid. I wonder how many feet it would take to feed 85 cows, and 30-40 big calves?

We made it for years feeding with a 2wd loader tractor. Now we completely killed that tractor in process. A NH 6635 still have but its in rough shape and well worn for a 20 year old tractor. After wearing out that tractor I know some would disagree, but I think a loader tractor needs 4wd not so much for it but the heavier front end. I really think in my situation for what you just said I would pick 4wd over the cab. But I do not have to travel on the road much feeding in winter. If you have to roll hay with it be hard to give up cab.

we went for 33yrs without a 4wd tractor till 2010 when the 1st 4x4 was bought.2wd drive retired.then 2 more 4x4 tractors bought and sold this year.2wd drive 90hp used to bale hay.traded 4x4 rops tractor on a 110hp cab 4x4 tractor this week.

UP here in snow country I could never survive without 4 wheel drive. 2wd loader tractor in 4 feet of snow is useless, and deep mud it is equally as useless. I have one 2wd tractor left that only gets used in the hay field and when I replace it something mfwd will takes its place for the better ride on rough ground alone.

A mfwd can do everything a 2wd tractor can do and plenty more, a 2wd can't do nearly what a mfwd tractor can do....

It's all a tradeoff.. 4wd quickly gets expensive when something goes wrong, and it's not a rare occurrence. As to front ends, different models and makes will have different build qualities on them... We saw some 60hp David Brown and they were flimsy front ends.. then you look at something like a IH 684 family, and there's no way you're breaking that thing.. Ride quality depends greatly on the tire choice too, and most 4wd don't turn as sharp as most 2wd's (exceptions to everything). We don't have the kind of muck Kentucky seems to get, or not for as long (about 2 weeks)... We wouldn't mind getting a 4wd, but certainly not every tractor on a place needs to be.

This is one we've been looking at.. I think it's a 784? I think it needs some work, runs fine but never gets used, big corporate ranch owns it

Bigfoot":12xu4icg said:
bball":12xu4icg said:
Whats the issdues with the Massey? I made it for years without 4wd, but after having it now, don't think I could go back to the aggravation.
Btw, selling my 656 was a mistake. Wish I still had her..sentimental I guess.

It is constant and never ending. Dry clutch, and I use the loader nearly every time it's ran. Not a big deal, other than this one fails about every 400 hours. Leaks hydraulic fluid like a sain from every single fitting (except the fel). Knocked a whole in the oil pan about a year ago. The old man was driving it, but he didn't remember hitting anything. I buy fuel filters 5 at a time (probably not the tractors fault, but I run the same fuel in everything). The hydraulics connectors are perfectly in line with the top link. If you don't push whatever implement your using purposefully over to the left, the top link will break the connectors. Tearing down the sheet metal to get to anything, is such a PIA, that I have considered running it without, plus your disassembling it every time you use it. There is more, but that's a good start.

I honestly don't see a problem. Massey was always notorious for leaks, so that is nothing new. Dry clutch replacement at 400 hours is operator abuse unless that model in noted for a poor clutch and then usually their is an upgrade kit. Oil pan and fuel is not the tractor's fault. Hydraulic connectors location might be the only real issue I see, and can be fixed with some hydraulic hose and connectors.

I survived up to now without a 4WD. Always carried a round bale on the back for ballast if loader work was required. Would get stuck in 2' snow banks if I didn't plow a path in front of me - but that is what a loader and bucket it for. Mud would likely be your downfall.

what about a tractor without a loader for tractor work and find you a skid loader with tracks for loader work, they are working machines and you can get all kinds of attachments for them.

jedstivers":mei49dz9 said:
Of course you could. Why punish yourself and halfazz be able to do a job. Buy a older proven machinical model of a good proven brand.
I want a 4050 or 4250 Deere. There's plenty of other good ones too.

I have a 4250 it's been a good tractor. Dad has a 4240 the difference in the two is night and day. They built the 4250 on the same frame as the 4450 and the 4240 is a smaller frame tractor. The bigger tires on the 4250 ride better and hold against side draft better when running a swing tongue swather.

Aaron":1kldemka said:
Bigfoot":1kldemka said:
bball":1kldemka said:
Whats the issdues with the Massey? I made it for years without 4wd, but after having it now, don't think I could go back to the aggravation.
Btw, selling my 656 was a mistake. Wish I still had her..sentimental I guess.

It is constant and never ending. Dry clutch, and I use the loader nearly every time it's ran. Not a big deal, other than this one fails about every 400 hours. Leaks hydraulic fluid like a sain from every single fitting (except the fel). Knocked a whole in the oil pan about a year ago. The old man was driving it, but he didn't remember hitting anything. I buy fuel filters 5 at a time (probably not the tractors fault, but I run the same fuel in everything). The hydraulics connectors are perfectly in line with the top link. If you don't push whatever implement your using purposefully over to the left, the top link will break the connectors. Tearing down the sheet metal to get to anything, is such a PIA, that I have considered running it without, plus your disassembling it every time you use it. There is more, but that's a good start.

I honestly don't see a problem. Massey was always notorious for leaks, so that is nothing new. Dry clutch replacement at 400 hours is operator abuse unless that model in noted for a poor clutch and then usually their is an upgrade kit. Oil pan and fuel is not the tractor's fault. Hydraulic connectors location might be the only real issue I see, and can be fixed with some hydraulic hose and connectors.

I survived up to now without a 4WD. Always carried a round bale on the back for ballast if loader work was required. Would get stuck in 2' snow banks if I didn't plow a path in front of me - but that is what a loader and bucket it for. Mud would likely be your downfall.

Clutch won't throw out fast enough. Added a spring after the first clutch. Customized a tarp strap and kept the double springs after the second. Getting close to 400 hours on this one, we'll see.

Survive is the operative word. Anyone could survive without one, but a lot of us couldn;t get much done without it at times of the year

I'm kinda in the same position Bigfoot. Except the wife is demanding me to buy a new tractor.
I have 3 and it takes all three to have one i can jump on and go. She's tired of watching me constantly working on the things.they say you can get away with less HP by having 4 wheel drive. I like to hear some opinions on that.

I'm thinking of keeping my 4020 for sodbusting
Moving my 2640 to my other place and leaving it there. And selling my MF 231.
Buying a new loader tractor. I would like something 70 to 85 HP. But the Kubota m series in 56 HP 4x4 with loader has a very attractive price.

I can do twice as much with my 6310 MFWD (100ish hp?) than I can with the 4430 that has the fuel cranked. Plus it's quiet, usually starts, easy on fuel, the AC blows cold, the radio works, etc, etc..... The 4430 MIGHT handle my 18' disc a little better in the right conditions.

callmefence":3s8gw6x6 said:
I'm kinda in the same position Bigfoot. Except the wife is demanding me to buy a new tractor.
I have 3 and it takes all three to have one i can jump on and go. She's tired of watching me constantly working on the things.they say you can get away with less HP by having 4 wheel drive. I like to hear some opinions on that.

Buying a new loader tractor. I would like something 70 to 85 HP. But the Kubota m series in 56 HP 4x4 with loader has a very attractive price.
He!! with sod busting. I'd keep that 4020 for a retirement plan.

callmefence":2k361c00 said:

I'm not impressed with the real hp - torque of a Kubota tractor. A 80 hp John Deere has the same hp - torque as a 90 hp Kubota, in the real world. Just keep that in mind when your buying, otherwise I think you'll be happy with a Kubota tractor. We have a 1k hours now on our new Kubota and no problems yet.

littletom":233oc7oi said:
We made it for years feeding with a 2wd loader tractor. Now we completely killed that tractor in process. A NH 6635 still have but its in rough shape and well worn for a 20 year old tractor. After wearing out that tractor I know some would disagree, but I think a loader tractor needs 4wd not so much for it but the heavier front end. I really think in my situation for what you just said I would pick 4wd over the cab. But I do not have to travel on the road much feeding in winter. If you have to roll hay with it be hard to give up cab.

This is a good point.

Got an IH 5240 2wd with a Westendorf loader. 4400 hours, and the front end is in pretty bad shape. Both wheel bearings, one hub, and it needs a spindle and steering arm on one side.

Case Maxxum 110 MFWD with Bush Hog loader, 4000 hours and I have never done a thing to the front end. As far as wear goes, it's still like new.

jedstivers":1vrpwc9w said:
New ones aren't all what they are cracked up to be.
I'm getting more and more disgusted with new stuff.
There's a reason I want a 4050 or 4250 instead of a brand new one in the same hp range.

You got that exactly right

My tractors are both 2 wheel drive because that is all I could afford starting out but I get along fine feeding. I drove a 7040 kubota raking hay. It was 4x4 with a cab and loader. The ride was so bad I felt like I had been in a fight and lost bigly! Lol. I would rather have 4x4 on a loader tractor though. My plan is to buy gravel and build a road to where I feed hopefully there will be less mud and ruts.