Could calf be dead?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
It's time for my herd's second calving season.

I came in yesterday, after not seeing the herd the day before, and noticed one had a very large udder with all four teats swollen, a short, clear string hanging out and evidence that more had been thrashed against her side by her tail, and she had lost her gut. I assume she had a calf, however, I have yet to see it. I've checked on her several times between 4:00 yesterday ans 12:30 today. She is always with the herd, calm, and still no calf. This morning, two teats were down. I didn't really see where hair had been wallowed around the teats, but two were down.

I realize that some cows hide their calves for a while, but I never had anything like this last year. Usually, the cow and calf would be off to themselves. Sometimes I would check and no calf in sight, but if I checked several times, I would always manage to see it at some point.

Does it sound like the cow is just hiding it out? Could the calf be dead? I would assume the cow would be acting weird and bawling if that were so, but she is calm. Any ideas?

Hook":awn1610v said:
Give it a few days before you start worrying.

Ok, I guess I'm just anxious.

Another question. Are cows more likely to hide out calves if they are the first ones of the season?

I remember there was no hiding out at all among the last few born last year. I would find them that day, and they would already be mingling with the herd.

Some cows will hide them, some won;t. They can also change from hider to non-hider in different years.

Dead calves don't drink milk.

Last one of those I had - quite calm - I brought her up and checked her. Calf was still inside her, coming backwards, got a live heifer out. I'd thought I was going to have to search the creek but usually a cow that's lost her calf to the creek is standing by the creek bawling.
But it sounds like yours is hiding outside of momma somewhere.

dun":3obruppa said:
Some cows will hide them, some won;t. They can also change from hider to non-hider in different years.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I have one who usually stashes hers for about 2 or 3 days (I often find it anyhow) before she joins the general population. Not this year, she had a little bull calf and they were right there with the herd, same day.

Herofan----I'd give it a couple of more days. It sounds like she's found a really good hiding place that you haven't discovered yet. ;-)

FOUND IT! It's a black baldy just like mammy. I had some time to hang out and observe the herd, and she led me to him.

I see now that I was just too anxious.

Glad you found it. That happens to us sometimes,and I always tell my husband to watch the cow just before dark and she will lead you straight to the calf. It works most of the time.

I don't see how they can hide a calf in 6in tall grass in an open field but they sure do sometimes. I drove my pasture three times one year only to find it out in the open, couldn't see it until you were right on top of it.

Had a cow this year that never hides her calf. She was standing at the side hotwire looking into the woods and calling. I opened the gate and let her out to find him. She covered the woods, another pasture, another section of woods then finally went back to the pasture she started in. Went through the gate and walked right to her calf that was bedded down in the pasture in some tall grass. I guess she just wanted to have a look around and take me for a walk.

Sometimes I'll make a calf bawling sound while watching the cows reaction. She'll usually look in the general direction of the calf, then I head that direction and repeat bout half the time they go right to it. The one's that don't I might not see for a week. :lol: LOL B&G

Latest posts