Cottonseed meal/salt ratio

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
What kind of ratio are yall feeding? Or have yall heard of feeding? I heard 1-3 the other day and I wasn't sure if that would do any good.

around here most of the feed mills have a 20/20 or a 20/30 salt mix that is 20% protein and 20% salt or 20% potein and 30%salt I don't use them because I don't like salt as a feed limiter and it isn't cost effective
If needing protein the lick tubs or blocks are cheaper in comparison on the ctnseed salt mix consumption they can hit 7-8lbs per day
JMO

Angus Cowman":3etk8mo4 said:
around here most of the feed mills have a 20/20 or a 20/30 salt mix that is 20% protein and 20% salt or 20% potein and 30%salt I don't use them because I don't like salt as a feed limiter and it isn't cost effective
If needing protein the lick tubs or blocks are cheaper in comparison on the ctnseed salt mix consumption they can hit 7-8lbs per day
JMO
Im mixing 1-1 right now, they don't eat that much everday. Even when I mixed 2-1 they didn't hit 7-8lbs. What do you use as a limiter and how is salt not cost effective?

CowpokeJ":3197rbcs said:
Angus Cowman":3197rbcs said:
JMO
Im mixing 1-1 right now, they don't eat that much everday. Even when I mixed 2-1 they didn't hit 7-8lbs. What do you use as a limiter and how is salt not cost effective?

1-1 will give you a 20% crude protein mix...3-1 will make almost a 14% mix. Consumption should run 4-5 lbs. per head per day with the 3/1....a little less for 2/1. If you're mixing it on the farm be sure and make some mineral available at all times. As for cost, on mixes like this salt actually is effective unless you can come up with another limiter that cost less.

CowpokeJ":3osivxwd said:
Angus Cowman":3osivxwd said:
JMO

sorry wasn't meaning the salt wasn't cost effective was meaning the salt /cottonseed meal mix from the mills around here

Angus I've seen some of these mixes that definitely had a lot of other products in them besides straight cottonseed meal and salt. Really cheapens them up and are definitely not worth what you have to pay for them.

TexasBred":1cozzf8i said:
Angus I've seen some of these mixes that definitely had a lot of other products in them besides straight cottonseed meal and salt. Really cheapens them up and are definitely not worth what you have to pay for them.
yeah I know and I tried some a few yrs ago and like I said before the consumption and the cost were prohibitive I figured I could feed 4lbs of 20% cubes cheaper and get bettr results so I quit using them and also didn't like that cows spent alot of time at the water

I keep a good free choice min and salt out all the time

Have read that cattle will consume 1/10th lb of salt per cwt body weight (1lb salt/day for 1000 lb cow 1.2# for 1200# cow).
Just mix the desired daily amount of supplement with 1# salt, ie-If you want 2lb CSM/day then mix 2# CSM/1# salt.

TexasBred":1j5jecu4 said:
CowpokeJ":1j5jecu4 said:
Angus Cowman":1j5jecu4 said:
JMO

1-1 will give you a 20% crude protein mix...3-1 will make almost a 14% mix. Consumption should run 4-5 lbs. per head per day with the 3/1....a little less for 2/1. If you're mixing it on the farm be sure and make some mineral available at all times. As for cost, on mixes like this salt actually is effective unless you can come up with another limiter that cost less.
3/1 are you talking meal/salt? If so, if 1/1 is 20 but then 3/1 should be more?...the meal is 40% by itself and I mix the salt myself.

Cowpoke..your right....I was talking about some of these range meals that say 3-1 meaning they are 3 parts "something which would be several ingredients" and one part salt. Usually have a 14% guarantee on the tag. Don't know anyone that mixes 3 parts csm with 1 salt but I guess you could if that's what you wanted or needed. Would be pretty "rich". Like Angus I quit feeding range meal a couple years ago and feed cubes now.

jedstivers":2qk04iiv said:
Can you get whole cottonseed? If you can they are good and don't have to be mixed, I paid $230 ton last week and a 5 gallon bucket weighs 16 lbs.
I'm working on it. Whole is supposed to have 20% fat as well.

jedstivers":12p9rti7 said:
Can you get whole cottonseed? If you can they are good and don't have to be mixed, I paid $230 ton last week and a 5 gallon bucket weighs 16 lbs.

Priced some down the road last week. They wanted $310 picked up at the gin. Great feed but can't make that work. Feeding seed continuously to breeding age bulls can and often will cause "temporary" sterility or very low sperm count. Take them off the seed for a couple months and have them retested before putting them back in with the cows. They should be good to go.

BamaCowboy":2ui5e56k said:
I have all ways used 100# of CSM to 50# salt, been useing it that way for over 40yrs

Still a lot of "us old folks" that like to mix it ourselves. At least you know what you're getting.

user1":32af9vdf said:
But don't ya just love those fancy tubs that so many collect

Well they could have a lot of handy uses. Saw a neat set up at the entrance to a large ranch. All the tubs were filled with beautiful blooming flowers of some kind.

Latest posts