cotton fiber blend feed

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I have found a source for cotton seed blend feed in Memphis for $65 a ton in bulk. That's real cheap compared to other feed stores. i wonder how many 55 gallon barrels it would take to hold a ton? Do yall like this kind of feed?

What is the cotton seed blended with?
A ton of cotton seed will fill a trailer 3 feet deep that is 4 foot by 12 foot. If that helps.
I am paying $105 a ton for cotton seed.

I don't know what it's blended with but think I will go down and take a look at it. It just says cotton fiber blend. Usually when something sounds too good to be true.....it is. The fella told me that they were selling a lot of it to cattle folks around here. I wish I could find someone feeding it to ask.

rc

Not sure what the product you're refering to is. In the subject line was referred to as cotton fiber blend. There is a product that is usually referred to as cotton motes or linters. Motes are the extra short fibers which are removed in the ginning process. Basically they are cotton fiber which is cellulose. Most of the feed value of motes is fiber, which can yield some energy when digested by a ruminant. IMO-Motes would have the value of straw/low quality hay. When supplemented with protein & minerals, would be adequate diet for dry cows. Would need additional energy for lactating cows. A couple pounds of corn daily would probably be enough energy for cows in good BCS. More corn if already thin. If this product contains some cottonseed then the feed value will be greater. Ask the seller about feed value analysis of this product. Important parts are %TDN (total digestible nutreints/energy), % protein, % fiber & % ash(dirt). These nutrient values are what determine the feed value of this product.

As far as number of barrels per ton, whole cottonseed weighs approx. 4lb/gal., whereas bulk cotton fiber would probably weigh 1/2 that of cottonseed. The actual weight/gallon of this product would some indicator of the feed value of the product. The heavier the better, unless the extra weight is from dirt (%ash), as some cotton gin byproducts have some dirt in them. The seller should have idea as to the weight per bushel or cubic ft. BTW- if memory serves me correctly 7.5 gallon = 1 cu/ft 1.25 cu/ft = 1 bushel.

Not sure if this is any help. Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Brock

rc":2kahcngy said:
i wonder how many 55 gallon barrels it would take to hold a ton? Do yall like this kind of feed?

RC, a 5-gallon bucket holds apprx 25 pounds of dry feed, that converts to 5 lbs/gallon - so a 55 gallon drum would hold apprx 275 lbs of feed.

msscamp":2t46ts2m said:
rc":2t46ts2m said:
i wonder how many 55 gallon barrels it would take to hold a ton? Do yall like this kind of feed?

RC, a 5-gallon bucket holds apprx 25 pounds of dry feed, that converts to 5 lbs/gallon - so a 55 gallon drum would hold apprx 275 lbs of feed.

Depends on the dry feed based on volume/weight. It's kije the pound of feathers or a pound of sand. Both weight the same but the volume is different.

dun

I think I will just stick to my feed mill. I know it's good and hopefully I will just have to feed through out February. I just let my bred cows with calves get down too far. Around here we usually start getting some grass in March. My cows calved at a bad time of the year but I am new and learning as I go. This board is great. Thanks to all.

dun":3es77re1 said:
msscamp":3es77re1 said:
rc":3es77re1 said:

Depends on the dry feed based on volume/weight. It's kije the pound of feathers or a pound of sand. Both weight the same but the volume is different.

dun

Thanks Dun. I wondered about that, but figured the general weight would at least give rc somewhere to start. We use the buckets for ground corn, if that helps.

rc take a ton of the cotton fiber blend and have it mixed with 1000 lbs. of soyhull pellets and you would have an excellent feed at a fairly cheap price.

lcupit":1hmcbzmn said:
rc take a ton of the cotton fiber blend and have it mixed with 1000 lbs. of soyhull pellets and you would have an excellent feed at a fairly cheap price.

Just curious, what is this cotton fiber blend? Is it linters (motes), gin trash (burrs) or something else. Not a term I'm familiar with. Please describe.

The mix with soy hulls sounds like a good one, could also use corn gluten which would have more protein. In my area, gluten is currently $15/ton cheaper than soy hulls.

Regards

Brock

rc,

You should request an analysis. Any reputable mill should have one.

We feed 3n1. Content is Cotton seed meal, salt, minerals and it is mildly medicated. In addition we serve up 20% protien cubes.

Jay

Latest posts