Cost to slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
Anyone know the typical cost to butcher a steer. Is it done by weight? Animal? I live in ny. Also what is the typical % of meat you get back. I have a few black angus and was thinking of slaughtering start of winter. I think they will be roughly 1200-1500 lbs.

For us in Oklahoma it cost between $375 and $500. Yes, it is usually done by weight. easy math is 33% of live weight, but it does depend on breed of animal and how it is cut up.

You'll have to find and call a couple butchers. Ones around here charge .35-.55lb hanging weight + $30-50 slaughter. That typically includes hanging for 14 days and your cut instructions, plus wrap of choice (vac or paper). They'll typically add a few bucks if you want half one way and the other half another, and a few more if you want 1/4ths.

We just paid .58 cents pound cut and wrap. $75 kill fee. Seems a Bit high compared to others on here. We had 590lbs hanging and I think we brought home about 475lbs of meat.

cattle60":3324m1p0 said:
The kill charge is crazy.
Yupper.
I always tell them just butcher the animal and skip the kill fee and I'll take my chances on the meat running away.
But some how the bill always comes out the same either way. :roll:
Some butchers around here are starting to add freezer charges if the meat isn't picked up within 72 hours after completion.

Son of Butch":3lo85kbw said:
cattle60":3lo85kbw said:
The kill charge is crazy.
Yupper.
I always tell them just butcher the animal and skip the kill fee and I'll take my chances on the meat running away.
But some how the bill always comes out the same either way. :roll:
Some butchers around here are starting to add freezer charges if the meat isn't picked up within 72 hours after completion.

:lol2: :lol2: I like that.

its .75 a lb rail weight. I am selling my beef cause i can't afford the 700 to butcher him.
WHen i do butcher, i want all of the rail weight. i keep bones and meat. Turn bones into beef stock and give to dogs after i crock pot them.

Duramaxgirl":21dnozj6 said:
We just paid .58 cents pound cut and wrap. $75 kill fee. Seems a Bit high compared to others on here. We had 590lbs hanging and I think we brought home about 475lbs of meat.

same kill fee here for most places... I been threatening myself with building a facility that I could process my own beef.. However that will be after the 131 projects more pressing get done first.

SJB":14mmq2jw said:
re: kill fee - keep in mind something has to be done with the guts, head and hooves. and there are regulations that say you can't just dump them in the trash.

Remind the gov't that you are throwing them out to fed the eco system and all should be ok. Kill fee is a crock in my book it don't cost 75.00 for a bullet and to toss some guts.

The problem for me is the facilities and equipment. At my restuarant we grind beef, tenderize cutlets, process liver and cut t-bones various steaks and other cuts of meat on a weekly basis. We used to cut beef bones for beef stock but those suckers are dangerous on the bandsaw so we quit that. I know my way around a cow and cuts of meat but we have professional hobart grinders, bandsaws, walkin coolers freezers etc..... The price is pretty high in my opinion but the butcher has all the things I dont at the house. For me to buy that equipment is a big investment. My corporate job wouldnt let me get close to the job with a non processed animal. Around my house we sell the beef, we eat cheap pork and chicken, farm fresh eggs, deer meat and wild hog(highly seasoned in a green chile sauce). Our groceries are cheap and on a budget. My cattle are worth to much for me to butcher and eat.

skyhightree1":2kuxoczl said:
Duramaxgirl":2kuxoczl said:

same kill fee here for most places... I been threatening myself with building a facility that I could process my own beef.. However that will be after the 131 projects more pressing get done first.
Only 131 projects to do, dang sky how do you stay on top of them that good?

hillbilly beef man":23txnb7g said:
skyhightree1":23txnb7g said:
Duramaxgirl":23txnb7g said:

Only 131 projects to do, dang sky how do you stay on top of them that good?

It's rough :lol:

My guy charges $60 for the kill. I have done it myself in the past but for $60 I just pay them. From shooting to finished with cleaning everything up probably takes me at least 3 hours. And I still have to haul the meat in to get cut and wrapped. We cut up our own deer and elk but that is a much smaller job than a beef.