cost to have a beef cut and wrapped

Help Support CattleToday:

rkm

Reaction score
Just picked up our beef from a local slaugter house. Charged 40 cents a pound hanging weight to cut and wrap, plus 45$ to kill. I thought that was kinda high. I was wondering what others paid?

rkm

Just like everything else - prices are going up. Our local place charges $25 to kill and $.32/pound to cut & wrap. This is vacuum packed not paper wrapped -except ground meat which is placed in 1 or 2 pound tubes. This is for a standard cut - if you get anything fancy it costs extra (i.e. tenderized steak).

Bullbuyer":22qf4dt5 said:
Just like everything else - prices are going up. Our local place charges $25 to kill and $.32/pound to cut & wrap. This is vacuum packed not paper wrapped -except ground meat which is placed in 1 or 2 pound tubes. This is for a standard cut - if you get anything fancy it costs extra (i.e. tenderized steak).

What if you kill it? lol. J/j, but can you do that?

Actually, the only way you can kill one at home and then take to the slaughter house is if YOU pay the meat inspector and a vet to come out to the farm and inspect the animal prior to killing it.

The guys around here that raise bison have to do that since they are so difficult to corral and haul.

Much, much cheaper. The 25 bucks they charge is a drop in the bucket compared to paying the vet's exam bill plus travel. The slaughter house's $25 includes kill, skin, and gut and hang it in the cooler. There's no way in the world you could get me to do all that at home for 25. (Disposal of the guts would be the worst part!)

Similar prices here. $35 to kill, skin and gut. Plus they get the hyde. 38 cents per lb of hanging weight to process. We kill, skin and gut our own. Gut disposal is no problem with plenty of possum, buzzard, and yote's around. Plus this way, I get $16 extra for the hyde. So when you take one to be slaghtered at our processing plant, you actually pay $51. I can definitely kill and skin a beef for $51.

The regulations covering the slaughter and inspection of livestock, is for meat intended for sale.
You may slaughter on-farm for your own use,but may not sell any of the meat, if the live steer has multiple owners while it is alive,you may according to regulations, slaughter on-farm, and divide the meat between the owners. This is a bit of a grey area legally, so ensure that it can be proved that the steer was co-owned PRIOR to home slaughtering.

Slaughtered today and my butcher informed me that due to fuel prices the kill went up to $55 and the cut & wrap to 38 cents...still I'll keep him as he is one of the best around and been doing our stock for years.

Latest posts