Correction

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with being wrong, that's how you learn,
I frequently tell people that if the first thing you try works, you learned nothing.
It may sound counter-intuitive, but ya learn way more from mistakes and failures than successes.
However, even tho those may be the best and most lasting lessons, the easiest and least costly lessons are learning from the mistakes of others.
Don't spend too much effort and $$ trying to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear more about Wahoo!…..and I'll be careful not to play the Crazy Diamond song.
Another tribute to Syd. One of my Floyd favorites. It doesn't move me like Wish You Were Here. Music not the lyrics. When I found myself in a situation or conflict, Wahoo never thought about if I was right or in the wrong. All he needed to know was that someone was against me, or posing a threat, and he jumped right in. as I did for him. He and I met in 78, as part of a SOG, and we served about 18 mos til that operation ended. We did a mission in South america.in and out in 24 hours, and one in SE Asia. That one was supposed to be in and out in 36 hours, but we ended up being in for 70 hours because we missed first extraction point. After the SOG, he and I and a couple of other team mates did some private contracting/; merc type things. In 82, 3 of us got married and we stopped doing this, but remained together. The other two passed a few years ago, and now I am the only one left.

Bulls are not hard to get off. Relax your legs and release your hand and you're immediately, absolutely, positively and without fail guaranteed to be in the dirt.

My neighbor rode bulls in the PRCA for 25 yrs it's fun to listen to the stories of how it used to be. We have a young kid in town that got his card this year to go pro but already been hurt twice and is laid up with a torn miniscus right now. Rough sport for sure. From what I hear him say things are way different in rodeo than back in the day.

Funny story about the young kid. About 8-10 yrs ago we was sitting at the gas station for lunch and this kid was telling his dad he wanted to ride bulls, I'd guess he was 10 at the time. Sammy Andrews was eating lunch at a table in the back and perked up. He told the boy to come out and practice on the dummy and watch them buck practice bulls out anytime. I'm not sure what ever came of it but I've never seen Sammy perk up about anything like he did at that boy wanting to be a bull rider.

Lost in peacetime but still hard to accept.
Ron..
June 1, 1950, Nov 16 2017
@greybeard also in this thread are post abut bullriding. To me the greatest moment in sports is when Tuff won the NFR, and kept riding that bull for another 8 seconds for Lane. People like me and you know why he did it, and where his mind was while he rode it; I still choke up every time I watch the video.

I have a 2006 Chevy, and the sending unit has been out for years. I use my trip odometer for a gas gauge. I reset it every time I fill up with gas, and then make sure to get more gas before it gets to 300 miles.

I forgot to mention it at the time I posted that, but it has well over 270,000 miles on it, which is about 100,000 miles more than I've put on any other vehicle I own. Of course in my younger years I'd wreck them long before they got to that point.

Yes, it carries risks, but there's lots worse things young folks can get into than rodeo.

Tuff staying on Bodacious is beyond legend, likely never to be equalled tho JB Mauney's ride on Bushwacker was pretty good too.

Again, I was never very good at it but loved every minute of it, have watched and kept up with it ever since no less than many of us can't walk thru a sporting good section in the springtime and not pick up a new leather baseball glove to try on. Tho it's been all these decades, I can still recognize the smell of rope rosin.
Walking into a rodeo arena, even a good roping pen just floods ya with memory and sensory perceptions. (and no, I am definitely not a roper either)
I think it was CallMeFence that once said "When I was young, I could ride like a Commanche and rope like a Vaquero, just not at the same time" :)

Last edited:
Of course in my younger years I'd wreck them long before they got to that point.
You too? Heck, I once left the highway unintended, & let a loaded down 16' bumper pull lowboy end up right right outside the passenger window of the El Comino I was pulling with...trailer still connected to the bumper hitch.

You too? Heck, I once left the highway unintended, & let a loaded down 16' bumper pull lowboy end up right right outside the passenger window of the El Comino I was pulling with...trailer still connected to the bumper hitch.
I remember waking up as a sixteen year old in the back of an early sixties Plymouth wagon, sleeping in the arms of a sixteen year old girl... and sitting up to see a telephone pole whiz past from back to front as we were going backward through a ditch at 80 miles an hour. Threw a rod and we spent every cent we had ($200) to get the rod replaced in the slant six, but we made it to Las Vegas. Road trips in the sixties were awesome...

I had a wide variety.
  • The first one was when I was heading to Blinn one morning during my short college career when a guy driving a 4-wheel drive Ford, with the spare tire mounted in front, pulled out of his driveway in front of me. In my little brain I thought surely he'd see me, so I pulled over into the left lane and kept going. He didn't see me until I hit that tire on the front of his truck. It spun his truck 90° and threw me into the ditch. Of course every time I'd seen a wreck on TV the vehicle would immediately burst into flames, so my first thought after the truck stopped moving was "I've got to get out of this truck." So of course when I tried to open the door it was jammed. I leaned as far to the right as I could and then back as quick as I could against the door. That popped it open. I was in a good bit of pain, so I went to the doctor, where I found out I had a bruised spleen. To this day I'm convinced that happened when I got that door open, and not from the impact.
  • I was driving home one summer afternoon in a little thunderstorm. I was almost there when a hackberry tree growing in the fence row beside the road fell in front of me and I couldn't stop in time. If it had fallen five seconds sooner I could have stopped, and five seconds later and it would have fallen on the truck. That was truly remarkable timing.
  • I was heading home one night around midnight on FM362, rounded a corner, and the road was suddenly full of black cows.
  • I was in Brownwood following someone (because I didn't know where we were going) when I stopped at a stop sign, that I thought was a 4-way. It wasn't. I got broadsided. Of the seven or so wrecks I had that was the only one that was completely my fault.
  • There were several other fender benders, the details of which I don't recall.
Fortunately, my luck seemed to change about the time I turned 25. The last time I was in a wreck was close to 40 years ago.

If you're referring to my post above, what part of rounding a corner to find black cows in the middle of the night at midnight did you not understand?
Lost a 69 GTO to that very situation. The cow's belonged to Frank Evans. When the DPS showed up he stood right there and said he didn't know who owned them. He lost five that night.

Lost a 69 GTO to that very situation. The cow's belonged to Frank Evans. When the DPS showed up he stood right there and said he didn't know who owned them. He lost five that night.
about right, man on one of our mountains. had a horse get out..went through the windshield of the vehicle, and pawed and kicked the man's head nearly off killing the man..owner denied he was his..

Last edited:
Another tribute to Syd. One of my Floyd favorites. It doesn't move me like Wish You Were Here. Music not the lyrics. When I found myself in a situation or conflict, Wahoo never thought about if I was right or in the wrong. All he needed to know was that someone was against me, or posing a threat, and he jumped right in. as I did for him. He and I met in 78, as part of a SOG, and we served about 18 mos til that operation ended. We did a mission in South america.in and out in 24 hours, and one in SE Asia. That one was supposed to be in and out in 36 hours, but we ended up being in for 70 hours because we missed first extraction point. After the SOG, he and I and a couple of other team mates did some private contracting/; merc type things. In 82, 3 of us got married and we stopped doing this, but remained together. The other two passed a few years ago, and now I am the only one left.
I salute and thank you for your service to us all Warren.

If you're referring to my post above, what part of rounding a corner to find black cows in the middle of the night at midnight did you not understand?
I was referring to the subject of your post... just not to anything particular that you said. Speaking in general and expecting people to read it that way.

If your feathers are ruffled it's in the way you read it, not the way I wrote it.

• I was driving home one summer afternoon in a little thunderstorm. I was almost there when a hackberry tree growing in the fence row beside the road fell in front of me and I couldn't stop in time. If it had fallen five seconds sooner I could have stopped, and five seconds later and it would have fallen on the truck. That was truly remarkable timing.
Sometimes you have to wonder just how precise things have been pre-planned for our lives to have something happen in such a small window. Your comment made me think of my mom's accident, head-on with a drunk driver. Had she been going a little slower or a little faster then she wouldn't of been in that exact spot when he passed the car in front of him hitting her. For better or worse we can't change them, just accept it and move forward. We can have good and bad decisions decide outcomes in our lives but those determined by forces outside of our control can leave a person wondering for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts