Correction

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to be humble when your perfect in every way?
😆
My wife tells me I'm perfect but when I remind her she said that she then reminds me I was using selective hearing. What she actually said was "Well if you think you're so damn perfect then why don't you go out and take care of it instead just standing there with that judgmental look on your face". All I heard was "you're so perfect".

It's awesome how when it was all new, every other thing, care and worry in the world went away into tunnel vision when you nodded. For a fleeting moment the world is only humps and horns. Did not realize it then but those were some of the best times of my life.
Whew. Son of a beach. Shivers. God, to be that young, dumb and rubbery again. I've got two things for ya, a song and a funny story.
The funny story is my wife just heard the same thing from me y'all did and says it sounds so fun that she wants to try it (she jumps out of airplanes), I told her it's half of why I hurt so much and she said she thinks it'll help her with her back on top of the thrill.

Here's the song, my favorite line is "I ain't never feared nothing that was four-legged and buckin', throw me on a hurricane and I'll ride it to the coast" because that's how I used to feel.

There five things I have done once in my life, and 1 time was enough. I am a fast leaner. I have had one marriage, one divorce, one root canal, jumped out of one airplane ( well thrown out kicking and screaming is more accurate) and rode 1 bull. Those are 5 things I will never do again.

I was at a rodeo in 1980 in Athens, roping in the slack. Bunch of us hanging around waiting, like we do at rodeos, and shooting the ****. One of my friends that knew me, told the group "Old Warren there( I was 22-23) has never been bucked off a horse, and never will be". And that I still true today, knock on wood. I did get bucked off a mule in 2006 and broke my arm and my back in 2 places, though. Well one thing led to another, and one guy said " I bet he can't go 2 seconds on a bull though." Finally , they talked me into it. They paid for me to enter as an exhibition, loaned me the rig, etc. So before long, I found myself being helped down on one, and they were all helping me get set right, rope right and all. I remember thinking "I might not ought to do this. Even if I win...ride it 8 seconds, there is only one way off. They don't do pick-up men in bulls." I was still thinking I ought to tell them never mind, get me undone and off of here, when the old gate guy said " Get ya a deep seat and a far-away look...I am fixin to turn this mother out!!! SOB!!! 1st jump out the gate I was trying to hold on with my spurs and both hands. Hell with a qualified run, I was just trying to buy time til I could think of how to get off and not be killed.

I remember as a kid, being towed on an innertube behind a boat, and the driver started running wide ass open in a big circle. I was picking up speed every few feet. I wanted to turn lose and get off, but was scared, and the faster we got the more scared to turn lose I was, until finally the tube and me went airborn, then skipping across the lake like a thrown stone. I should have gotten off sooner. Well, that was how I felt on that bull, trying to figure out what to do and it was getting worse every second. In retrospect I wish I had grabbed the gate and just let him run out from other me. The cowboys were hootin and hollering and laughing at me. I don't know how long I rode him, but it was a LONG time. I heard the buzzer seems like hours before I finally got off. They were hollering "Damn, son, you about got him kid-broke to ride". and "Warren, you got him side passing now". and " Get off the bull, Warren, you are wearing him out"! Well finally he throwed my ass off with a jump and when his front feet hit he did a 360. I went flying, eating dirt, and sure enough what I feared... he nailed me. 4 broke ribs, but hey: I had 20 friends rolling around laughing til their sides hurt damn near as bad as mine with the broke ribs!

There is no tougher athlete in the world in any sport than a bullrider. And the best and toughest of them are the bullfighters. The one that got that bull of me got gored and busted up a little, getting between that bul and me til the other one drug me out form under it.

If they would give convicts root canals in stead of prison, we'd see almost zero repeat offenders.

I fought a Navy Seal for 8 minutes and nearly tore a strut off the wing before he got me out of the plane, but how that came to pass that is a story for another day.

I have noticed that there is a few people here that feel a need to point out when someone that says something that might not quite be right. And they usually do it in a very pointed fashion.
It seems I've seen a lot of people be rude for absolutely no reason other than to make themselves appear smart.
I do believe that it's just this kind of attitude that is ruining our great nation. Do you always have to be right?
Do you always have to be the last one to get your word in ?
Do you always have to say something negative?
I think we all can probably use a little better attitude of gratitude.
We a bunch of lucky people we even got time to waste on here.
No, I try not to say anything negative, except maybe to return fire. I usually let the other person draw first blood. Rarely do I get the last word in. I will say what I got to say then that is it? They may keep on and get the last word, but it won't matter, cause i am done. I don't think I am always right, I just am. I can't help it. I remember one time I thought I was wrong about something, but turns out I made a mistake...I was right. :)

All joking aside, I agree with you that there a lot of people being rude for absolutely no reason other than to make themselves appear smart.
Man I hate winter coming back to us here in Ga, don't you?!!

There five things I have done once in my life, and 1 time was enough. I am a fast leaner. I have had one marriage, one divorce, one root canal, jumped out of one airplane ( well thrown out kicking and screaming is more accurate) and rode 1 bull. Those are 5 things I will never do again.

I was at a rodeo in 1980 in Athens, roping in the slack. Bunch of us hanging around waiting, like we do at rodeos, and shooting the ****. One of my friends that knew me, told the group "Old Warren there( I was 22-23) has never been bucked off a horse, and never will be". And that I still true today, knock on wood. I did get bucked off a mule in 2006 and broke my arm and my back in 2 places, though. Well one thing led to another, and one guy said " I bet he can't go 2 seconds on a bull though." Finally , they talked me into it. They paid for me to enter as an exhibition, loaned me the rig, etc. So before long, I found myself being helped down on one, and they were all helping me get set right, rope right and all. I remember thinking "I might not ought to do this. Even if I win...ride it 8 seconds, there is only one way off. They don't do pick-up men in bulls." I was still thinking I ought to tell them never mind, get me undone and off of here, when the old gate guy said " Get ya a deep seat and a far-away look...I am fixin to turn this mother out!!! SOB!!! 1st jump out the gate I was trying to hold on with my spurs and both hands. Hell with a qualified run, I was just trying to buy time til I could think of how to get off and not be killed.

I remember as a kid, being towed on an innertube behind a boat, and the driver started running wide ass open in a big circle. I was picking up speed every few feet. I wanted to turn lose and get off, but was scared, and the faster we got the more scared to turn lose I was, until finally the tube and me went airborn, then skipping across the lake like a thrown stone. I should have gotten off sooner. Well, that was how I felt on that bull, trying to figure out what to do and it was getting worse every second. In retrospect I wish I had grabbed the gate and just let him run out from other me. The cowboys were hootin and hollering and laughing at me. I don't know how long I rode him, but it was a LONG time. I heard the buzzer seems like hours before I finally got off. They were hollering "Damn, son, you about got him kid-broke to ride". and "Warren, you got him side passing now". and " Get off the bull, Warren, you are wearing him out"! Well finally he throwed my ass off with a jump and when his front feet hit he did a 360. I went flying, eating dirt, and sure enough what I feared... he nailed me. 4 broke ribs, but hey: I had 20 friends rolling around laughing til their sides hurt damn near as bad as mine with the broke ribs!

There is no tougher athlete in the world in any sport than a bullrider. And the best and toughest of them are the bullfighters. The one that got that bull of me got gored and busted up a little, getting between that bul and me til the other one drug me out form under it.

If they would give convicts root canals in stead of prison, we'd see almost zero repeat offenders.

I fought a Navy Seal for 8 minutes and nearly tore a strut off the wing before he got me out of the plane, but how that came to pass that is a story for another day.
WHEEEEEEEW that's a hell of a good story there. I miss the sh**, though I'm glad I wised up before a few thousand miles of road and wasted entry fees. I remember the exact year I did wise up, I had just won a spot in a program most people would give a testicle for, but it involved travel and a lot of walking, and just the year before in our little hometown area rodeo that I usually won or placed in (in my categories) I had gotten hung up underneath and walked on fairly good, and I told the old boy putting it on that next year "I'm getting pretty well matured now, how's about we just skip the bull riding crap and I work the pens and chutes for ya?"

I've been on more bucking horses than bulls since then, and none those on purpose. I had a real fine mare try to pitch me in September, but we had a talk about it and she didn't dislike me so much as she misunderstood me.

After all those years riding barebacks when the National Anthem starts playing I involuntarily start flexing and stretching. I would still love the rush of climbing into the chute. But the SOB had better not open the gate.
Freckles Brown riding Bulls at 50 years of age, I thought was cool when I was 20.
Now I am just totally amazed and in awe.

. . . It seems I've seen a lot of people be rude for absolutely no reason other than to make themselves appear smart.
I do believe that it's just this kind of attitude that is ruining our great nation. Do you always have to be right?

. . . and fail miserably.

Being polite and honest doesn't always go hand in hand....

I have little tolerance for those who talk about something they read or heard someone else say as if it's actual experience. It's a flaw of mine. I can't help it. Anyone that doesn't like it can" bite me."
At least you don't discriminate, though. If you have something to say you typically say it regardless of whether or not you like or would normally agree with the person.

I was just thinking today while driving down the road at work that I should call up a practice pen and ask about fees and days to go get back on a bull for the first time in years to see if maybe age improved my ability to stick one, then I remembered that I'm an idiot and that my passing thoughts should rarely be allowed to do more than pass.
Wikipedia, Texas State Historical Assoc (TSHA) and Texas Almanac all have very little to say about the little town I grew up in during the '60s but each include the following:

Highlands in the 1960s. The town had a population of 4,336 in the early 1960s, when it also reported eighty-two businesses. W. O. Hutson built the Double Trouble Youth Rodeo Arena there in 1965.

The double trouble was about 3/4 of a mile from our house up Jones Rd, and W.O. was a friend of my father's. W.O. was not a handsome fellow. He had jumped off onto a steer in his younger days and got ahead of him and the steer, the hazer and his own horse had run over him and broke his jaw and eye socket. It showed prominently the rest of his life. By today's standards, it wasn't much of a youth Arena, but it was covered roof and 1/2 way down the sides and one end. I spent most Tuesday and Thursday nights there starting when I was 16. Those were practice nights. It cost $2.50 each bull ride and $4 for a buckin horse. I had bought a bullrope at the only western wear place (Anderson's) over in Baytown, and spurs of course. Try as I might, along with most of my friends from school, I just never was very good at bulls and only got talked into getting on one bareback one Thursday night. There were no pickup riders on practice nights. You either backed off or bailed off on your own. I did ride him, but he was a runaway mostly and when I got off, he made one big buck and pissed all over me. That was the end of my bareback attempts.
But, I still liked gettin on a bull and did so most weeks right up until I went in the Marines in '69. That was the end of any activity that might damage govt property. When I came back from overseas the 1st time, I found rats had had their way with my rigging and spur straps anyway.

My father always viewed me going there with a wink and a knowing eye but my mother absolutely hated it. One day she woke me up and said "You get that dang rope and those dirty boots out of this room right now and put 'em out in the garage, you got 1/2 the house smelling like cow s**t and rosin!!"

"Youth" Arena was kind of a misnomer. If mama knew the things I learned there, she woulda beat me 1/2 to death. Girls mostly. (I didn't drink) And, It could be a rough place, especially Sat afternoon and into the night. Upstairs above the roping chute, there was a concession stand and a place for a few tables. The adults sat up there, drank booze and played poker. Us kids could go up the stairs as far as the concession stand but weren't allowed to stand around the card players. But, there was a steel ladder leading up from the roping chute area and you pushed up a wooden trap door and.. there you was. I went up it one time on a Saturday afternoon late and found myself in the biggest drunken brawl ya ever saw.

While I was overseas, a bunch of stored hay and lumber under the stands had caught fire and the roof trusses gave way but about 10 years ago, I took wife by there to show her where I spent my mis-spent youth and found it had been repaired & turned into a horse boarding/riding stables business.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/almost-heaven-riding-stables-highlands

Today: Looking back toward what used to be the rough stock bucking chutes
almost heaven.png

I have noticed that there is a few people here that feel a need to point out when someone that says something that might not quite be right. And they usually do it in a very pointed fashion.
It seems I've seen a lot of people be rude for absolutely no reason other than to make themselves appear smart.
Spot on, my friend, and very well stated. There are few absolutes in this business. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

At one time, everyone "knew for a fact" the earth was flat.

It is an ag producer thing though. The industry has us hiding our cards like we are sitting at a poker table. Why? I have no clue. But it drives me crazy. If producers would be more supportive of each other, cooperate together, and be more open minded... I do believe we could make great strides in many different directions concerning beef production and all its avenues.

Nothing is learned without trying something new. If you never fail, you aren't learning.

Wikipedia, Texas State Historical Assoc (TSHA) and Texas Almanac all have very little to say about the little town I grew up in during the '60s but each include the following:

Highlands in the 1960s. The town had a population of 4,336 in the early 1960s, when it also reported eighty-two businesses. W. O. Hutson built the Double Trouble Youth Rodeo Arena there in 1965.

The double trouble was about 3/4 of a mile from our house up Jones Rd, and W.O. was a friend of my father's. W.O. was not a handsome fellow. He had jumped off onto a steer in his younger days and got ahead of him and the steer, the hazer and his own horse had run over him and broke his jaw and eye socket. It showed prominently the rest of his life. By today's standards, it wasn't much of a youth Arena, but it was covered roof and 1/2 way down the sides and one end. I spent most Tuesday and Thursday nights there starting when I was 16. Those were practice nights. It cost $2.50 each bull ride and $4 for a buckin horse. I had bought a bullrope at the only western wear place (Anderson's) over in Baytown, and spurs of course. Try as I might, along with most of my friends from school, I just never was very good at bulls and only got talked into getting on one bareback one Thursday night. There were no pickup riders on practice nights. You either backed off or bailed off on your own. I did ride him, but he was a runaway mostly and when I got off, he made one big buck and pissed all over me. That was the end of my bareback attempts.
But, I still liked gettin on a bull and did so most weeks right up until I went in the Marines in '69. That was the end of any activity that might damage govt property. When I came back from overseas the 1st time, I found rats had had their way with my rigging and spur straps anyway.

My father always viewed me going there with a wink and a knowing eye but my mother absolutely hated it. One day she woke me up and said "You get that dang rope and those dirty boots out of this room right now and put 'em out in the garage, you got 1/2 the house smelling like cow s**t and rosin!!"

"Youth" Arena was kind of a misnomer. If mama knew the things I learned there, she woulda beat me 1/2 to death. Girls mostly. (I didn't drink) And, It could be a rough place, especially Sat afternoon and into the night. Upstairs above the roping chute, there was a concession stand and a place for a few tables. The adults sat up there, drank booze and played poker. Us kids could go up the stairs as far as the concession stand but weren't allowed to stand around the card players. But, there was a steel ladder leading up from the roping chute area and you pushed up a wooden trap door and.. there you was. I went up it one time on a Saturday afternoon late and found myself in the biggest drunken brawl ya ever saw.

While I was overseas, a bunch of stored hay and lumber under the stands had caught fire and the roof trusses gave way but about 10 years ago, I took wife by there to show her where I spent my mis-spent youth and found it had been repaired & turned into a horse boarding/riding stables business.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/almost-heaven-riding-stables-highlands

Today: Looking back toward what used to be the rough stock bucking chutes
View attachment 27303
What did they use for bulls back then? I've heard they used to just throw in anything with balls and an attitude, but I wonder if certain breeds were more prominent.

Freckles Brown riding Bulls at 50 years of age, I thought was cool when I was 20.
Now I am just totally amazed and in awe.
I read an article once that was an interveiw with Freckles. They asked when he decided to be a cowboy. He replied that he didn't know if he was a cowboy but always wanted to be one. I told that to an old friend of mine who was an NFR saddle bronc rider and hall of fame from back in Freckles day. He said if Freckles isn't a cowboy there is no hope for the rest of us. I never met Freckles in person but talked to him a couple times on the phone when he called a mutual friends house and I was the only one to answer the phone.

Come on Warren we want to hear about you sorta jumping(pushed) out of a plane.

After all those years riding barebacks when the National Anthem starts playing I involuntarily start flexing and stretching. I would still love the rush of climbing into the chute. But the SOB had better not open the gate.
Is that not the absolute truth! Stepping off the pipe down on that bull is an adrenaline rush that never goes away no matter how many times you did it.

What did they use for bulls back then? I've heard they used to just throw in anything with balls and an attitude, but I wonder if certain breeds were more prominent.
As far back as I remember rodeo is mid-60's, and a lot of pure Brahmas were used (I remember some flyers, posters etc called it " Brahma Bull Riding", but most were Brahma crosses. Lot of Br x LH and some crosses were heavy Holstein.

Being polite and honest doesn't always go hand in hand....
I have little tolerance for those who talk about something they read or heard someone else say as if it's actual experience.
It's a flaw of mine.
Their flaw, not yours fence.
I had a roommate who was in college, nicest guy and a lot of fun. But he was one of the biggest braggarts I've ever met.
A great liar to cover for you if needed. He was well mannered, intelligent, quick witted, well dressed, his family had money and
the women just seemed to flock to him, which made me jealous. lol His dad owned a couple of banks, so well connected.

One of the funniest stunts he pulled was a couple friends from out of state were visiting and wanted to go fishing.
So he said he'd take them to his dad's hunting/fishing cabin up north (2 hr drive) An hour later he pulls into the driveway of the
biggest brick mansion in the county with lakeshore access. Even the detach all brick 4 car garage is nicer than my house.
They're jaws dropped, this is the 'cabin'!?! Naw, this is dad's retreat (he lied, he had no connection to the owner whatsoever)
He drove along down by the shoreline until they were out of sight behind some woods and dipped their lines for maybe 15 minutes
with no luck, then said, come on, the fishing at the cabin will be better. When those guys left to go back home they were dually impressed. :) lol He had balls of brass and was probably one of the five biggest braggart/liars I ever met.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts