Corral panel pin sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

thendrix

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the approximate diameter and length of the pins used on standard duty corral panels? I've got to set up some panels this afternoon and , as usual, the panels are there but the pins are not and when I asked about the where a bouts I got a "hmmm, damn if I know. I havn't seen them in 10 years I guess".

Depends on the manufacturer. I have some that are 1/2 inch some 5/8 inch some odd balls that are an inch and a half. To add a little turd in the punch bowl, some of the same diameter need different lengths. I ended up making a bunch 1/2 inch from rebar a foot long, those will work with almost any of them.

thendrix":1hhkxbvo said:
Thanks. I may take the rebar approach that way I know they'll be long enough
When I join different makers panels I just use a piece oof rebar 5 foot long and run it top to bottom through all of the loops.

dun":1xkfwf5j said:
Depends on the manufacturer. I have some that are 1/2 inch some 5/8 inch some odd balls that are an inch and a half. To add a little turd in the punch bowl, some of the same diameter need different lengths. I ended up making a bunch 1/2 inch from rebar a foot long, those will work with almost any of them.

I have a bucket with several pins. Another with several rebar pins with 90 degree bends in top. If the pins are too sloppy, the rebar as a shim can snug it. Too easy to put three pieces of rebar in an eye, once it is all set. One rebar makes it nice and flexible for set up on uneven terrain. Go back and shim. Takes out all guess work. Paint the rebar white with orange tips on the 90. Makes it easy to find when one gets dropped.

Hate the store bought pins with just a crimp on the end. Thru the years I have gathered a lot of short pipe. Weld a flat bar T on the end. No stuck pin. Those tiny pieces of flat bar scrap or angle pieces are great for pin caps. Spot weld them onto a one foot piece of pipe and drop them in the pin bucket.

dun":2laqq0h9 said:
thendrix":2laqq0h9 said:
Thanks. I may take the rebar approach that way I know they'll be long enough
When I join different makers panels I just use a piece oof rebar 5 foot long and run it top to bottom through all of the loops.
This is what I had in mind. Less to keep up with

backhoeboogie":3ns51yvs said:
I have a bucket with several pins. Another with several rebar pins with 90 degree bends in top. If the pins are too sloppy, the rebar as a shim can snug it. Too easy to put three pieces of rebar in an eye, once it is all set. One rebar makes it nice and flexible for set up on uneven terrain. Go back and shim. Takes out all guess work. Paint the rebar white with orange tips on the 90. Makes it easy to find when one gets dropped.

Hate the store bought pins with just a crimp on the end. Thru the years I have gathered a lot of short pipe. Weld a flat bar T on the end. No stuck pin. Those tiny pieces of flat bar scrap or angle pieces are great for pin caps. Spot weld them onto a one foot piece of pipe and drop them in the pin bucket.
My rebar pins have a J (upside down) shape like a complete hook.

dun":1ixuarv9 said:
backhoeboogie":1ixuarv9 said:

My rebar pins have a J (upside down) shape like a complete hook.

probably safer Someone is going to bump in to them.

My berry trellis A frames have the horizontal extensions hooked back. I lay a 20 foot piece of rebar in the hooks going the opposite direction once I get several A frames up. Paint them white too but that is to keep them from soaking up the sun.

My rebar pins are absolutely temporary when I use them. If I was leaving the panels there in a more permanant setting, I would probably do what you are doing.

Latest posts