Working on the corral

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I have a new respect for the old timers who built this place. My work to improve the cattle handling system continued today. I rented a mini excavator to dig post holes. I knew there was rock, but I sure am glad I wasn't digging by hand like the old timers had to do. I rental place was going to give me a 12 inch bucket. I got a 16. A bigger machine with a 24 inch bucket would not have been a bad idea. I wrestled out several rocks that wouldn't fit in the 16 inch bucket. Now the fun of setting all those RR ties.

_H Ranch said:
You should go into the rock business.
What I should do is run all that stuff out of the hole across a sluice. I am certain there is some gold in it. But I am not going to sit out there with a pan for hours.

Dave said:
_H Ranch said:
What I should do is run all that stuff out of the hole across a sluice. I am certain there is some gold in it. But I am not going to sit out there with a pan for hours.
I've paid to do that a few times the Crater of Diamonds in Murfreesboro Arkansas. Silly paying to play in the dirt and mud to dig for gold when you could go somewhere find a spot for free. Hey I'm not going to lie it was a good time. 🙌🏽 Just silly what we will pay to do and see.

Chevy said:
Dave said:
_H Ranch said:
I've paid to do that a few times the Crater of Diamonds in Murfreesboro Arkansas. Silly paying to play in the dirt and mud to dig for gold when you could go somewhere find a spot for free. Hey I'm not going to lie it was a good time. 🙌🏽 Just silly what we will pay to do and see.
Gold was discovered about 15 miles upstream of here in 1862. A guy named Clark accidentally shot himself in the foot. While that party was waiting for his foot to heal they poked around and found gold. That started another gold rush. Drive up the canyon from here there is sign of gold mining all along the way that occurred in the late 1800's. That old sign of mining stops at my property line. I have the first place where the river runs out of the canyon. My irrigation rights go back to 1871. They never ran a dredge or a doodle bug through here. Someone back then figured there was more money in raising food for the miners than there was in mining the gold.

Family and friends have gone down along the river and rolled out a big rock or two. They dig out the dirt from under and down side of the rock and pan it out. They find little flakes of gold every time. The trouble is it takes a lot of those little flakes to make anything.

If you watched the show "Gold Rush" about 4 or 5 seasons ago the Hoffmans were mining in Oregon. The place they were mining is upstream of me about 16 miles.

Dave said:
_H Ranch said:

You only need to pan long enough to prove there is gold in it. Then allow people to dig your post holes for you for the privilege of panning the material they remove from the post holes :lol:

Silver said:
Dave said:
_H Ranch said:

You only need to pan long enough to prove there is gold in it. Then allow people to dig your post holes for you for the privilege of panning the material they remove from the post holes :lol:

Then I would have to deal with people. I didn't buy this place so I could deal with people.

Latest posts